The mysterious submenues of the amp block

Hi everyone

I'm a big fan of the Axe II by now. I've dialled in some nice sounds, mostly everything within a preset.
Because - for bass - I'm kind of underwhelmed with the compression and I received the input that in the submenues of the amplifier I could also adjust "some things". I think this is put mildly... :shock

We have:

Basic
GEQ
Speaker
Dynamics
Power
Tone
Other

Basic and GEQ are pretty clear to me. However, the maze then starts. There are so many values that can be changed which I have to google first and then may try them out with either hearing no difference or just some but without any idea what changed...

I'd love to have a guideline, that gives me directions what I have to tweak in order to get (e.g.) a quicker lowend, get more depth from the poweramp, get more defined mids... I just see all those knobs and then decide to do something else. And I am thinking that I'm leaving some potential unused.

Is there something that leads me through those submenues without explaining every knob? I mean, I really don't need to know everything there is, but some advice that tells me "try this and that and if it's good do some more and if it's not good do this".

Not to sound lazy, I've spent hours with this thing. However, regarding those submenues I can't see any land...

Am I the only one?

Hi everyone

I'm a big fan of the Axe II by now. I've dialled in some nice sounds, mostly everything within a preset.
Because - for bass - I'm kind of underwhelmed with the compression and I received the input that in the submenues of the amplifier I could also adjust "some things". I think this is put mildly... :shock

We have:

Basic
GEQ
Speaker
Dynamics
Power
Tone
Other

Basic and GEQ are pretty clear to me. However, the maze then starts. There are so many values that can be changed which I have to google first and then may try them out with either hearing no difference or just some but without any idea what changed...

I'd love to have a guideline, that gives me directions what I have to tweak in order to get (e.g.) a quicker lowend, get more depth from the poweramp, get more defined mids... I just see all those knobs and then decide to do something else. And I am thinking that I'm leaving some potential unused.

Is there something that leads me through those submenues without explaining every knob? I mean, I really don't need to know everything there is, but some advice that tells me "try this and that and if it's good do some more and if it's not good do this".

Not to sound lazy, I've spent hours with this thing. However, regarding those submenues I can't see any land...

Am I the only one?

No.
Love the Axe Fx II, but a lot of the features and tweaks that people discuss here make little sense to me.

I basically read the Wiki, read posts, experiment.
I try different basic settings and cabs, but not a lot else.
Easy to get great tone.

if you want more compression, try "out comp" in the dynamics page. just a little...somewhere between 1 and 2

you can also use the tube preamp stuff in the cab block, try tape 50 and drive and sat at 2

the low freq in the speaker tab of the amp block may be useful to you.. this sets the frequency of the low resonance of the speaker.

dynamic depth might also be useful for a bass player..turn to the right for more depth (low freqs) as you play harder

also try the power amp hardness and see how the three settings affect the "feel" of the amp

there are a few others that might have a noticeable effect on the sound, but fool around with these first. some other bass players will hopefully chime in and share their tips.

You say you are using bass and are underwhelmed with the compression. Why not add whatever compressor you used for your bass before you got the Axe. I find that the Axe takes pedals nicely in front of the input. You could experiment, also, using the FX Loop Input/Output, using an external Compressor. I use an EBS MultiComp in front of my Axe2 sometimes, but in all reality, I don't use mine much for bass. Live, I still prefer my amp and for recording, I use my ADA MB-1 or a Tech 21 Bass DI or VT Character Pedal, straight to the board.. However, while writing this post I think this afternoon's effort will be putting the MB-1 in the Axe Loop, using the SVT Cab for recording!

In the Other Tab, IMHO:

* If you want a thinner sounding distortion, increase the values on the Variac. If you want a fatter sounding distortion, decrease the values on the Variac (a little goes a.
* To further fine tune your distortion, play with the values of AC Line Frequency to taste.

In the Dynamics Tab:
* If you are playing bass with fingers and you are losing your note attack in the mix, increase the value of Pick Attack.
* If you play with a pick and the attack of your notes are sticking out like a sore thumb in mix, decrease the value of Pick Attack.
* If you want to avoid using a Compression Block in your preset, you can:
* limit your dynamic range by increasing the value of Output Comp.
* increase the "grab" of the compressor like a threshold control by increasing the Comp Threshold value.
* You can further limit dynamic range or increase sustain by increasing the value of CF Comp and Dynamics parameters to taste.

If you want other tips, just say the word.

Last edited:
If the Bright Switch on the Basic page is to harsh for me, I use the Bright knob in the Tone page.

Lower the XFormer Match to 07-09 to tighten the sound.

The 5 Band Passive GEQ is also great to fine-tune. Small steps can do wonders.

Low Resonance and Low Res Freq in the Speaker page to add some low end.

Wow, thank you for those nice replies. Some very good advice in here :encouragement:

I have been considering to put my beloved compressor (Empress) in front of the Axe, but somehow this does not leave me completely sold on the idea. I mean, why having this massive toolbox, when you then just stop trying to get what you need and use some other equipment? It should be doable... However, I have the Stageclix Jack Wireless in the back of the rack, so it needs an additional power supply anyway, but I actually wanted to put that amazing compressor onto my small board. Hm... we'll see...
if you want more compression, try "out comp" in the dynamics page. just a little...somewhere between 1 and 2

you can also use the tube preamp stuff in the cab block, try tape 50 and drive and sat at 2

the low freq in the speaker tab of the amp block may be useful to you.. this sets the frequency of the low resonance of the speaker.

dynamic depth might also be useful for a bass player..turn to the right for more depth (low freqs) as you play harder

also try the power amp hardness and see how the three settings affect the "feel" of the amp

there are a few others that might have a noticeable effect on the sound, but fool around with these first. some other bass players will hopefully chime in and share their tips.
I haven't tried things with the dynamic depth, but this sure sounds promising. Just like a dynamic EQ.
I'll try things out tomorrow. Thank you so far!
In the Other Tab, IMHO:

* If you want a thinner sounding distortion, increase the values on the Variac. If you want a fatter sounding distortion, decrease the values on the Variac (a little goes a.
* To further fine tune your distortion, play with the values of AC Line Frequency to taste.

In the Dynamics Tab:
* If you are playing bass with fingers and you are losing your note attack in the mix, increase the value of Pick Attack.
* If you play with a pick and the attack of your notes are sticking out like a sore thumb in mix, decrease the value of Pick Attack.
* If you want to avoid using a Compression Block in your preset, you can:
* limit your dynamic range by increasing the value of Output Comp.
* increase the "grab" of the compressor like a threshold control by increasing the Comp Threshold value.
* You can further limit dynamic range or increase sustain by increasing the value of CF Comp and Dynamics parameters to taste.

If you want other tips, just say the word.
Great inputs! I'll try everything out.

And hell yes, this document is good! This becomes a part of my Axe-Documentation.

The 5 Band Passive GEQ is also great to fine-tune. Small steps can do wonders.

Low Resonance and Low Res Freq in the Speaker page to add some low end.

+1

I've been using the amp EQ (5 band passive) to help push the mids up to cut through in a live mix. Works great as it then frees up the PEQ for lead/clean boosts.

I've also been using the Low Res. and Low Res. Freq. to dial in the low end, especially after shaving of some low end in the cab block.
I'll often cut low end around 120Hz and then come back and play with the Low Res. parameters to fine tune the bottom end.

I don't really bother with any of the other settings, but may visit the comp. settings

Back
Top Bottom