The music that got you going

AC/DC Let There Be Rock/High Voltage are some of my earliest "guitar" wow memories- Malcolm !! I could have cared less about learning to solo like Angus. All I cared about was those solid rhythms and Malcolm's tone, that TONE, especially on the album Let There Be Rock. That's why I'm only now getting serious about lead/alternate picking.

However: the first albums I purchased (from TG&Y) was either "The Captain And Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together" Or "Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy" I can't remember. :)

I remember going to the movie theater to see the film "Let There Be Rock" then wore out a VHS tape years later.

We used to go to the midnight movies to see The Wall and The Song Remains The Same on a regular basis..

Of course EVH (RIP) but that sound, and being able to play like that seemed so far beyond reach. Doesn't mean I didn't listen to it day and night. Sammy seems like a great guy but after 1984 they lost me.

In no particular order as a kid:
Neil Young
RUSH
Led Zeppelin
Judas Priest
DIO
Iron Maiden
Triumph
The first two Ozzy Records, beyond that, I could care less really.
Pink Floyd - The only thing I cared about in life for maybe five years was The Wall, Animals and Wish You Were Here
Scorpions << Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout, Love At First Sting
Red Hot Chili Peppers - high school was all about Mothers Milk then BSSM which to this day is in my top 10
Def Leppard (I listened to High and Dry a million times)
Metallica - Kill/Ride/Master/Black
Queensryche - The Warning/Rage for Order/MINDCRIME absolutely blew mind but learning anything from it back then was impossible.

I spent so much time trying to get that elusive Mindcrime tone in my bedroom, which never really happened.

Did I say RUSH? For the past decade plus it's been RUSH RUSH and more RUSH. Signals changed my life, then Grace Under Pressure.
Thank you Alex Geddy and Neil. RIP Neil

I was a local stage hand in the 80's and brushed by some of the greats. They don't make 'em like that any more.

I still have autographs from:
Vinny Appice
Vivian Campbell (when with Whitesnake)
Tommy Aldridge (Whitesnake)
Steve Harris signed the back of my denim jacket backstage on the Powerslave tour and my jackass buddy borrowed it, do you think I ever saw it again?

I have 90% of all my ticket stubs also. I saw AC/DC for $12 (For Those About To Rock tour) - I'll post some pics eventually.
Lots of guitar picks also, I'm going to get them on display in my house over my Holiday vacation time, they don't deserve to sit in a ziplock bag.

Music has been a major part of my life. I could go on and on. And on.

Last edited:
We used to go to a kind of second tier movie theatre here regularly in our late teens / early twenties to watch a triple feature that included: 1. "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (I remember bringing toast to throw around - forget what that was all about exactly), 2. "The Song Remains the Same", and 3. "Black and Blue" (Black Sabbath / Blue Oyster Cult). That was the closest I ever got to seeing Led Zepplin live - the movie had quite an impact on me seeing it so many times on a big screen in my youth - to this day, I gas for a theremin! (wait! - maybe Axefx can do it!!).

Elvis Presley, Everly Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel as I started with a dreadnought my mother bought me in 1983.
Then when I got electrical in 1986 Dire Straits, The Smiths, U2 and then Bob Dylan and JJ Cale and after them all the others here and there...

I still listen these artists I mentionned on the second line, l but sometimes late in the evening.

3 most Influential albums when I was in 1976,
  1. Montrose (Original Album),
  2. Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs
  3. Led Zeppelin IV
  4. Allman brothers

I have some very resonant (ridiculously) early memories. At 3 or 4, while riding in my parent's car I heard something that changed everything (for better or worse. Ha!)...

And that other thing...
  • Alex Lifeson
  • Rik Emmet
  • Gordon Lightfoot
  • Frank Marino
  • Neil Young
  • Kim Mitchell

I was playing cards one summer with my friends. Our host turned his cassetophone on. One song on the tape was Blackened, Metallica. I wasn't into metal and guitars that much but hearing this song changed me.

I have some very resonant (ridiculously) early memories. At 3 or 4, while riding in my parent's car I heard something that changed everything (for better or worse. Ha!)...

It was the Mick Taylor era of Rolling Stones that caught my interest most. No offense to Ronnie/Brian, but that few years around when MT was in the band is really the only stones music I ever seem to reach for.

OK, I'll bite.
Super Session was the FIRST Album (1968) that made me want to learn to play the guitar. All the regulars followed, Fresh Cream, Led Zepplin and, ready, Ry Cooder. Ry Cooders slide playing is 2nd to none.........................I did have to wait until April, 1970 to begin my dream, a little war got in the way for 2 years................................

The Beatles were the first group that caught my attention when I was very young. Wanted to take guitar lessons early on, but being raised by a single mom budget was tight.

Started playing cornet (trumpet) in school and learned some basics, but around 9th grade my mom got my first electric guitar and amp from my cousin. Pulled out my trumpet books and taught myself to read through all of the single note stuff I had learned in about 4 or 5 years of trumpet in about 2 weeks on guitar.

Just like most guitarists in my age bracket, the first rock riff I picked out was Smoke on the Water, but just a simple single note version. When I started learning I was into Kiss, Aerosmith and a lot of popular rock guitar stuff. Zeppelin and Hendrix were a bit life changing, but the biggest game changer by far was Van Halen I. That sound on Running with the Devil was just so huge and powerful, and had that... something you can't put into words...that went beyond anything I'd heard before. Then when Eruption came on my jaw dropped to the floor and I knew I had to learn to do that.

So, even though those.others got me interested, Eddie is most responsible for really pouring gasoline on that fire, and probably stoking it with a flame thrower to really get it going!

When I first started playing guitar, I joined the high school, and then the local community college, jazz bands. I knew enough scale theory from playing the Clarinet for 4 years to teach myself how to construct chords, once I figured out the difference between 7 & Maj7 chords, and how 'minor' affected the chords. But seeing all these crazy chord names in jazz music was a real eye-opener, especially when the director explained to me that it wasn't my job to play every note in say, a 6/9 or 13th chord! I had been trying (without a proper chord book) to construct chords that covered all the notes in these jazz chords! Oops.

Back
Top Bottom