The music that got you going

I'm not actually sure. I got interested in music when I was around 5 I think? There's pictures of me playing the drums of a wedding band when I was 6 (which I'd like to see, for hilarity and posterity). I got a guitar when I was 11 after proving it wasn't going to be dropped a month later.

I do, however, remember who's responsible for making me want to play fast. Iron Maiden "the trooper" intro, and Metallica "master of puppets" pulled me out of nu-metal (which I still enjoy in small doses) and right into 80's classics.

Hmmm - kinda looks like Lemmy but Lemmy didn't play no dblneck 12+6

Might be Leon Todd! If so, sorry Leon didn't mean to offend but u kinda look like Lemmy there.

Hmmm

Figured you’d know this one Sprint. Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar. Canadian band. The guy that gave Alex Lifeson his 1st double neck.

ZZ Top "Tush"
Foreigner "Juke Box Hero"
Dokken "Into The Fire"

It was the guitar on all 3 of those songs that just blew the door open for me.

Figured you’d know this one Sprint. Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar. Canadian band. The guy that gave Alex Lifeson his 1st double neck.
Ah man!! shoulda got that one! but yaknow I'm not into the new music lol!

Wiki says Johnson born in 64 so he was pretty young to have given Alex his first doubleneck - here's alex below in 74

Last edited:
Are You Experienced and 5150. Right around 7th grade. Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen were first two guitar players who's names I knew.

3 years old - I was listening to my oldest brother's 45 single of Whole Lotta Love with headphones on and heard the guitar pan from ear to the other and got excited. I asked my brother, "Who makes the guitar travel between my ears?' My brother replied, "That's the recording or mixing engineer that does that." I replied, "Well that's what I want to do." The lifelong mission started there.

4 years old - I was listening to my oldest brother's Cream album and heard White Room and said I want to play bass when I grow up.

When I was 10 or 11, my dad brought home a cassette of some "nice Italian boys" in my dad's words (he never heard the album before giving it to me, he just read the cover of the cassette before it went into an industrial incinerator at a facility he was doing conveyor work in). I heard Rockaway Beach by The Ramones and bugged my middle brother for 3 years before he gave me his really crappy no name ES-335 copy. The guitar was unplayable above the 12 fret because the strings were muted by the neck pickup if you tried to play past that point and your could not lower the pickup anymore due to its construction, but man did I try to make a go of it. Good times.

Ah man!! shoulda got that one! but yaknow I'm not into the new music lol!

Wiki says Johnson born in 64 so he was pretty young to have given Alex his first doubleneck - here's alex below in 74 but it's not the famius white one - maybe that
one came along later
View attachment 89403

From what I recall Rush was touring with Big Sugar in their early days as an opening act. That’s how they hooked up. Read it somewhere. Must have started very young!

Looked it up. Says here that Lifeson returned the guitar in 98.

http://news.2112.net/2011/11/big-sugars-gordie-johnson-and-alex.html?m=1

Grand Funk Railroad! My main man Mark Farner inspired me to play electric guitar. I just wanted to play just like him. Today I’m in a Pearl Jam tribute band called Corduroy in the Chicagoland area. I play mostly Stone’s parts, but also play some leads, and sing a little. Needless to say, my rhythm guitar skills are pretty good thanks to Mark Farner! 😀🎸🇺🇸

Back
Top Bottom