The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth

The reaper blog just posted about using headphones for guitar feedback during recordings

https://reaperblog.net/2019/10/guitar-feedback/
That guy isn't pursuing musical feedback we're talking about.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to have a small quality speaker mounted to a mic stand with input controlled by axe-fx and expression pedal. By varying speaker loudness and guitar distance & angle, you get a miniature, quieter version of a loud stack: full spectrum excitation, variable distance/delay, and control of the feedback loop, anytime you need it. Don't know if would excite the guitar enough, but it would replicate complex environment more accurately.

@solo-act Yeah, I’m afraid the magnitude of interaction/excitement would be less than usable. I’d liken this perhaps to a threshold, that wasn’t yet exceeded. Cheers

As another example of this when GnR recorded Appetite for Destruction Slash had his amp in an isolation booth but had a Boogie in the control room with him pointed up at his guitar. The volume of the Boogie was controlled by a foot pedal so he could get reinforcement and controlled feedback simply by moving his foot.

I love the physics calculation, but I am not an engineer nor programmer so I dont know how to make use of that amazing knowledge

however, if I’m reading this correctly, one way to know your getting the most out of your axe fx iii is to get EoB Feedback??? Or is that too reductionist? (Chris, go easy on me lol)

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to have a small quality speaker mounted to a mic stand with input controlled by axe-fx and expression pedal. By varying speaker loudness and guitar distance & angle, you get a miniature, quieter version of a loud stack: full spectrum excitation, variable distance/delay, and control of the feedback loop, anytime you need it. Don't know if would excite the guitar enough, but it would replicate complex environment more accurately.
Instead of what the video shows of putting the headphone driver near the pickups, I'm thinking of simply putting a headphone on the body of my guitar... If there's enough output, no extra equipment necessary.

As another example of this when GnR recorded Appetite for Destruction Slash had his amp in an isolation booth but had a Boogie in the control room with him pointed up at his guitar. The volume of the Boogie was controlled by a foot pedal so he could get reinforcement and controlled feedback simply by moving his foot.

I'm pretty sure that was during the Use Your Illusion sessions while he was tracking guitars on Estranged. It makes sense, the whole song is covered in big long sustained guitar melodies on the verge of feedback.

Back
Top Bottom