The mighty MESHUGGAH and the Axe FX!

A Lamb Of God man myself but the MESH are spectacular. It always strikes me as a mix of Eastern traditions and the serialism of Phillip Glass et al. It's like music from the future. I want them to do the soundtrack to my dystopian Sci Fi movie that will never happen.

I'm 57 - is it wrong for me to like music like this?

I have their discography on my play list and I am ever surprised to see that most of the tracks I really like are from their live performances. Pretty impressive but I know their style is not for everyone, just those of us with inner angst that needs to be fed properly.

hmm... it's definitely not straight ahead metal. many people (subconsciously) don't like the odd meters and polyrhythms. they can't "feel" the music; they try to tap their foot along or something and just can't feel the flow.

some of my personal favorite songs are on this spotify playlist. haha i made a "meshuggah for beginners" list haha!

Meshuggah for Beginners on Spotify

The funny thing about this is that a lot of their songs are in plain old 4/4, it's just that they're put together in such a way that it doesn't sound like it. I didn't get into the band until I heard their song "Bleed" which I can't not move my head to the rhythm when I hear it. That song kind of "taught" me how the band works and from there I branched out and found other material from them that I like just as well.

It's a band I'm honestly rarely in the mood for, but when I get the urge to listen to that type of music, nothing else comes close to being as satisfying to listen to.

love em. saw them last year and it was what staretd me thinking about getting and axe fx . saw them with lamb of god and their tone was so much clearer then LOG's who took 3 or 4 songs for the sound guy to get it to decent quality

I have the " Alive " dvd and CD great stuff . I'm 56 and love heavy music !
where did you get this bluray / ep?
BTW the new Decapitated cd comes out tommorow !

I have the " Alive " dvd and CD great stuff . I'm 56 and love heavy music !
where did you get this bluray / ep?
BTW the new Decapitated cd comes out tommorow !

I ordered it from nuclear blast.
Watching it for the third time now actually!

ya I found it thanks - those live vids are amazing ! their live stuff is even better than the studio recordings. the've been around forever some of the older stuff
may be more approachable for those not familiar with them . Back when they were IMO out metalica-ing Metalica.

I've been a metal head my whole life, but I just can't seem to get into them. What would you say is their absolute best material? I want to give it another shot.

I do like them, but I cant worship them as some people do. I think they are a good band, but the pedestal some put them on is exaggerated, IMO.

Destroy Erase Improve is their best album easily.

I've been a metal head my whole life, but I just can't seem to get into them. What would you say is their absolute best material? I want to give it another shot.

Personally, their early stuff doesn't do much for me, with a couple exceptions. I think they really started to find their voice in Nothing and Catch 33. ObZen takes it to a whole new level.

I'd go straight for koloss or obzen .The earlier 8 string stuff is cool but sound wise it was def a new sound early on and by obzen they had it dialed in. I'm not a huge fan of the very ealry stuff. its good and all but doesnt really sound like meshuggah to me

I've always been meaning to grab the re-recorded version of nothing . I really like the songs but recording wise its got not much clairty comapred to the later albums

I'd go straight for koloss or obzen .The earlier 8 string stuff is cool but sound wise it was def a new sound early on and by obzen they had it dialed in. I'm not a huge fan of the very ealry stuff. its good and all but doesnt really sound like meshuggah to me

I've always been meaning to grab the re-recorded version of nothing . I really like the songs but recording wise its got not much clairty comapred to the later albums

Koloss or Obzen is a great start!
I would just begin with the official video's actually, especially the ones from the latest record!

a lot of people who think meshuggah is a mediocre band just have no idea what is actually going on musically.

Hell, I think they're freakin' awesome, and I have no idea what's going on musically! :shock

I'm much more of a rhythmic being, and hearing "Bleed" for the first time put my jaw on the floor. I find the sheer savagery, precision, and rhythmic madness to be hypnotic and cathartic. I can easily understand why somebody wouldn't get it, though.

I've liked their newer material best. Koloss is 'effing brilliant from start to finish. Obzen is about 65% great, and the re-recorded version of Nothing sounds good, but I only like about half the cuts.

My very first taste was Chaosphere, and while there were a few things I liked about it, the band didn't grab me again until Obzen.

Back
Top Bottom