The Mic preamp effect just without a cab?

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Hi fractal. I wanted to use the sweet mic preamp effect on a friends acoustic guitar but I quickly discovered that the effect wasn't available unless I chose a cab?
What can I/we do here?

I think there's a request floating around here somewhere for a "null" cab IR. I think that's what you need as well.

EDIT: although... I'm not sure how such a thing is possible. It would essentially sound just like the cab block if the cab block were bypassed...?

Can you load an empty user slot? I'm asking, not sure if such a thing is possible to do.

Hi fractal. I wanted to use the sweet mic preamp effect on a friends acoustic guitar but I quickly discovered that the effect wasn't available unless I chose a cab?
What can I/we do here?

Follow the link to the null cab thread.

Load that IR into the Fractal using AxeEdit or Fractal Bot.

Add a CAB block to your preset and pick that null IR that you loaded.

Now all the settings in the CAB block are at your disposal and the IR itself is not altering your tone in any way.

The thread is 7 years old... The Axe Fx III and FM3 have a factory IR called "flat".

I'm sure if you need it for an older generation someone has it.

I found it
It's called "TOTALLY-FLAT"

Thanks a lot, you are always helping!:D

I saw the thread is old... I came here via the link of the wiki:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#About_the_factory_cabs

The link is this section:
Captura de Pantalla 2021-04-30 a les 9.33.57.png

Maybe it would be useful to add the sentence "The Axe Fx III and FM3 have a factory IR called "TOTALLY-FLAT" in this article.

I found it
It's called "TOTALLY-FLAT"

Thanks a lot, you are always helping!:D

I saw the thread is old... I came here via the link of the wiki:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#About_the_factory_cabs

The link is this section:
View attachment 82626

Maybe it would be useful to add the sentence "The Axe Fx III and FM3 have a factory IR called "TOTALLY-FLAT" in this article.
Calling the fabulous @yek - I'm sure he'll take care of that quickly!

So I created one as instructed by Mr_Fender (thanks) - file attached - I tried with different synth generated sounds (sine, pink/white noise) but was getting some variation so tried with no input sound using the "Both", then "Match" buttons and got a nice flat line which seems to work well except I get a tiny difference (see extra blue wiggle in Cab screenshot below compared to the factory TOTALLY-FLAT) - any thoughts on why or if it's enough of a difference to matter?

1619838259442.png
1619838436210.png
1619838617858.jpeg
1619838713110.png

Attachments

• U2.0002_SPRINTFLAT.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 3
What about creating a silent WAV file at the DAW, with the same lenght as the desired IR, and import that WAV to the Axe-FX?

I've done a neutral cab just with "Method 1" of the IR Capture Guide I've attached below as well. If you connect the OUTPUT 2 L with the INPUT 2 L with a cable, there is no coloration. The result was the cab IR "001-Neutral.syx" in my post. Of course you're welcome to do your own version if you want to improve it with a Neve etc. preamp in between to add some magic ;-)
I've used it to get the preamp and room available for my acoustic guitars without adding a cab IR that would be wrong with an acoustic guitar...

Attachments

• 001-Neutral.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IR Capture Guide.pdf
    314.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom