The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

Yeah, I most enjoy the segments with Galadriel.
As for the character being a 'bitch', a 'Mary Sue', 'obnoxious' etc. Here's Tolkien's own words:

"She was proud, strong, and self-willed, as were all the descendants of Finwë save Finarfin; and like her brother Finrod, of all her kin the nearest to her heart, she had dreams of far lands and dominions that might be her own to order as she would without tutelage."

And [Feanor and Galadriel] "being considered the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor,"

And according to the series she provokes the decay in the tree and the Elves are declining .... well two Ages before Tolkien said they did, roughly 5000 or 6000vyears. It is indefensible. If one likes her physically or the acting, OK, but as Galadriel, it is preposterous.

What?! I'm not a fan of the plot point of the elves declining through lack of mithril, but I don't recall anything about that being Galadriel's fault. It has nothing to do with her character. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The tree was Galadriel's fault, and the Elves, the mithri intoxication or what, I mean, was it because the light of the Silmaril was in a tree?l. None make any sense.

In the fifth episode Elrond and Gil Galad speak about two things:

- One Galadriel somehow making the tree die or root, no idea why

- Mithril beging necessary to save the elves

It's a TV show.................Jeeezzzzz! It's not REAL.....

Gosh, why don't you folks tell us how you really feel ;) I admit it's not great, as I stated above but jeeezzz, it's TV, it's Amazon, what did you really expect?
The only thing I actually enjoyed out of all of it was Galadriel, so to each his own. I have stopped watching though.....I found it too "all over the place."
It's the most expensive TV series of all time, something like 60 million an episode, so people were expecting more. That money should have gone for better writers and actors than eye candy.

It's the most expensive TV series of all time, something like 60 million an episode, so people were expecting more. That money should have gone for better writers and actors than eye candy.
I get that. I , also , was expecting more. I was looking forward to it. But at the end of the day, it's still TV and it's still Amazon. I still feel the worst part is NOT the actors, but the confusing jumps from here to there-which, as you state correctly, would be poor writers and directors.

I rewatched it last night and you're right - I must have missed that first time around. They actually say they thought by getting rid of her, the last vestige of the war, the rot might stop, but it didn't. But still, I agree, the whole dwindling/silmaril/mithril plot line is stupid.

I finished Ep 6, and came to terms with the fact the lore of Tolkien is just butchered in the series and one must accept it and try to enjoy it, or just fulfil your nerd duty and watch it despite it is a turd.

That being said, I was about to throw something at the TV in the sexual tension moment between Hallbrand and Galadriel.

I actually really enjoyed episode 6. But yeah, I think you have to accept nothing but very major plot points from Tolkien's works will be acknowledged.

chiming in to say we watched first three episodes last night, going to watch the next 2 tonight, haven't read everyone's posts here (avoiding spoilers) but I'd say so far the series has been enjoyable, I think my better half likes it more than I do.

I decided to watch the episodes again.
I missed a lot of tiny details and references the first time.
Appreciating it more the 2nd run.

I rewatched them too, now paying attention to the poor writing, it is amazing. Even if one leaves aside the de-Tolkienisation and the repurposing of the series, there is a lot of holes and mistakes in the plot that can even be laughable. Anyway it is going to be a lot of seasons, hopefully they will improve over them.

I love The Silmarillion and I am not going to watch The Rings of Power. I know. I'm sorry. It's just I'm not gonna. Sorry. Ha ha.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom