The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

LOTR are my all-time favorite fantasy/sci-fi movies, so it'll probably be hard for anything to meet that standard. I do hope the characters and plot in Rings are a bit more fleshed out than how they did Wheel of Time, which often felt rushed, not to mention no time for the backstory that helps you understand half of what's going on. I'm checking my expectations at the door too, but I don't know much about the Silmarillion / history of that time so I don't have any real preconceptions of what should happen.

I'm more concerned about whether the story is good and characters are interesting. Basic good storytelling seems like it's been lost - a lot of modern shows and movies are full of bad dialogue, contrived plot lines, and character arcs that make no sense. (guess what seasons of what show I'm thinking of ;-) ... but unfortunately there are way too many examples.

After 5 episodes, it is a turd. They should remove the name of Tolkien from it, and the LOTR from the title as they are inventing a totally different story (a boring one). Missing important characters, for invented new ones, changes of thousands of years in the timeline, and of miles in the events locations. A disgrace.

Amazon is creating this series, based on the Second Age events of Tolkien's universe. It will be the most expensive series to date, very impressive. Almost 20 years after the more or less acceptable LOTR Trilogy, and a bit less from the terrible Hobbit thing, I am excited to see what they come out with.

Some days ago a teaser trailer was released, the series airs in September:

So far I’m very impressed by it. It feels like a much more expansive world than Jackson’s work, and the actors seem much more capable. I’m very much looking forward to future episodes.

Regarding the original books, The Hobbit and the original trilogy of The Lord of the Rings are just a part of the entire world created by Tolkien. His books building the backstories are fascinating, and are the basis for this series, and after reading all his books I could find that were related to the LOTR, I’m really enjoying seeing this version. In my opinion, this is what Jackson’s works should have been.

And Galadriel? I’d watch her paint a room.

The trailers indicated too much computer-generated visual stuff but the scenery in the series itself is really impressive.
Also nice to see more references to The Simarils than the Jackson series.
The pace is rather slow, and there's less tension than in the Jackson series.

The only thing I like is actually the visual fx and a bit of the Elrond Durin relationship the rest is not Tolkien universe, is other thing, that one can enjoy or not. It is like reading the biography os Julius Cesar conquering China with the Marx brothers before the Russians attacked Japan after Germanys surrender in WWII, which happened right after man discovered fire.

Last edited:
A little too slow but I'm enjoining how characters are building up, love some links to The Simarils and, yes, maybe it would be more "acceptable" if they didn't link this one so strongly to the original LOTR saga and simply call it "The ring of Power". However not so bad (just finished episode 4)

This series can be described by three words: Hot Woke Garbage.

• The showrunners only claim to fame is that they wrote one of the scripts from Star Trek Beyond. They are also straight from the stable of Jar Jar Abrams, the cinematic anti-Christ.
  • Amazon used to hire the pre-eminent Tolkien expert Tom Shippey as a consultant. They fired him and replaced him with a blue haired nose ringed self proclaimed expert who goes by her Twitter handle Bitch Queen of Angmar.
  • The creators are saying they want to write the novel that Tolkien didn't wrote. No dill holes, Tolkien wrote what he wanted to write and he KNEW what he wanted to write. It didn't involve black elves or dwarfs. And not because people of different colors didn't exist in Middle Earth. He plotted out exactly how the peoples of Middle Earth developed and migrated to every corner of that world. If there are aren't any people of color in that part of Middle Earth it was by Tolkien's design. He was after all interested in creating a mythology for England, not one for Africa.
  • Tolkien's work has been out there for 70+ years and its been translated into probably every language in the world. People of all colors, genders and creeds have liked it just fine. Until a bunch of narcissists came along who feel that every character on screen should be like them or else they will throw a hissy fit.
  • If Bezos wanted another Game of Thrones then he should have hired Mr. Martin to write him one. As he will probably never finish the original GoT series. Tolkien's work is not Game of Thrones. Stylistically its completely different and turning it into GoT does a great disservice to Tolkien.
  • If you expect this series to be like the movies you will be sorely disappointed. Why was the Peter Jackson Trilogy so good? Because he had 3 large books to adapt, he could use Tolkien's stories and dialogues. The great speeches you enjoyed? Straight out of the books. Why was the Hobbit trilogy so mediocre? One small book was not enough material to fill 3 movies with, like butter being scraped over too much bread. Why did the final seasons of GoT sucked so hard? No more books to adapt. This entire 5 season series is based on 150 pages of appendices. It's just histories, lineages and footnotes. No stories to adapt, nor greet dialogues or speeches to adapt. And written by the guys who wrote the script of Star Trek Beyond for god sakes! And consulted for correctness by some weirdo who calls herself the Bitch Queen of Angmar!

If you think this series will be good, I'm sorry but there are more red flags here then the People's Republic of China's 70 year anniversary parade of 2019. They are dangling nostalgia keys in front of you. Remember the Lord of the Rings movies? dangle dangle. Remember how awesome they were? dangle dangle

Tolkien's work is sacred nerd text. Any man who spends his entire life working on a fictional world, mostly for his own amusement, is the supreme Emperor of all the nerds. Any nerd can relate to that kind of dedication and the desecration that Amazon will unleash on this world, coming after the desecrations of Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who, no greater insult to nerd dom could Amazon's chrome domed CEO commit. And for that they should insert his phallic shaped rockets up his ass. Pardon my crass language, mods, for I am beset with rage.

“Evil is not capable of creating anything new, it can only distort and destroy what has been invented or made by the forces of good.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
Jesus :joycat: tell us how you really feel! That's some funny stuff right there, you have got to be a LOTR nerd of the 1st order to have that level of disdain for this series. Not saying that I disagree with you, my comment earlier in the thread suggests that.

I have sat down and watched all of the installments and have to say that I agree with others at this point. It's way too slow and I suspect that it will continue this way because it's a series. Just waiting for the other obvious agendas to surface and it will be complete with respect to all of the social reimagining that is being pushed in todays movies. It's a pity I was hoping for a more accurate accounting with less distracting information and detail to basically fill up time.

The show is a big letdown. It’s moving along at a snails pace, the Galadrial actress is terrible. The dwarves are the only thing I like from the show. And how they manage to make the wargs looks worse 20 years later.

I was bored to death halfway through episode 5 and stopped since I was bored to death for most of the previous 4 episodes already. Not going back to this one.
I probably will get to that point too! I was interested when the chick with the long blonde hair was hunting orcs but then........................

Game of Rings
The Ringcage
Snowgala the Seven Gobllins
Close Encounters of the Third Ring

and so many other names they could have given to a series that has almost nothing to do with the original JRR Tolkien's writings.....

The writing, good lord the writing is bad.
"a stone sinks because it looks down". wait, what???
" There is a tempest in me!"o_O(damn girl, what did you eat?)
I could go on and on with the amount of cringe lines in the dialogue. Amazon is in damage control mode, deleting all of the
of 1-star reviews on their site.

Without an understand of, or a purposeful discarding of, Tolkien's point of view and the symbolism of the ring-maker and the grace that guided Bilbo to the ring, as summarized by Gandolf in the Fellowship of the Ring, this modern story seems more than a little lost to me. It is too bad, but inspiring deeper thinking isn't as entertaining... the movies were good, but of course... not nearly as good as the books. Tolkien is a creative genius in my eyes, and I highly regard him and the original books. I guess I'm a purist, but without the meaning behind that which guides Bilbo, Frodo and the others in giving of themselves to help others, the story suffers.

I agree that this is slow moving and questionably interesting. I haven’t read Tolkien for 12 years, can’t remember how accurate this is, but it has motivated me to re-read Tolkien next (currently 11 books in on my Wheel of Time re-read).

I have Prime so it’s all good, something to look forward to on a Friday I guess. I didn’t have high expectations and brainless entertainment is fine to me.

And anybody who has issues with POC being cast can get lost.

Back
Top Bottom