The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

Mohi

Experienced
Amazon is creating this series, based on the Second Age events of Tolkien's universe. It will be the most expensive series to date, very impressive. Almost 20 years after the more or less acceptable LOTR Trilogy, and a bit less from the terrible Hobbit thing, I am excited to see what they come out with.

Some days ago a teaser trailer was released, the series airs in September:

I’m really excited about it. I’ve never read the books. I know the movies took many liberties in order to fit things into 3 hours. But ignorance is bliss in this case.

I guess physics awareness worried little to Tolkien, that envisioned a world created out of music, and that was flat once and later turned spheric, and the list goes on and on
Suspension of disbelief in fantasy fiction is a tricky balancing act. In Tolkien, the boundary between mythology and 'live' magic in the ongoing storyline is...fluid, but his characters are not meant to be Marvel superheroes.

As a huge fan of the movies, I’ll definitely check it out.

I’ve never read the books, so I have no knowledge of said fecal matter being placed on the pages.
I’ll take this moment to plug the audio books, specifically the new ones narrated by Andy Serkis (Gollum in the movies). To me, this is the best way to experience the books.They are absolutely delightful.

As a huge fan of the movies, I’ll definitely check it out.

I’ve never read the books, so I have no knowledge of said fecal matter being placed on the pages.
I have read the books, but it was so long ago that I didn't even notice the changes when I watched the movies, which I loved. I'm not familiar with what was supposed to have happened during the time period that the new show covers so I have no real preconceptions. I just hope it's entertaining, with well-developed & interesting characters.

Looking forward to it. Time will tell, but a series will give time to really lay out the story in a way that's difficult even in a single 3-hour movie.

IDK, it looks like it has some cheesiness to it, most of these made for TV type deals do. Whether it's Amazon or Netflix etc.. something always seems to be off or there is a current events agenda attached to it.

There is going to be also an anime movie, The War of the Rohirrim, to be released in 2024

Seems they will milk Tolkien's world as much as they can.

I'm all for more Tolkien content. I watch the LOTR Trilogy at least once a month, I listen to the audio books on repeat, and I frequent the Prancing Pony podcast. I know "milking" generally has a negative connotation, but I would absolutely love more quality visual representation of Tolkien's work.

I am listening to the audiobooks now, they are kind of challenging for a non native English speaker, but I have read the book so many times that actually know many parts by memory,

If you are so much of a fan you should definitely visit Hobbiton in New Zealand, well a lot of locations are there if not all actual non CGI ones, I did it twice and every time I go I really enjoy it.

What I worry about is that it will be hacky hammy smarmy millenialized writing that sounds nothing like the writing in the books or the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. It will be more like the trash fest that The Hobbit movie trilogy became. They tried to turn the battle of the five armies into a Mel Brooks comedy. It was awful.

Back
Top Bottom