ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I'm not sure if the hype has caught up everyone so here's a short summary. This already legendary "djentiest IR on the planet" called "Misha Mix 08" was created by Misha Mansoor for Cab Pack 13: USA Bulb 4x12. That's the IR you'll f.ex. hear on the Haunted Shore's Viscera EP:

If you went to see Periphery live last year that's the IR you most likely heard except for Cab Pack 19: ML Angle ever since we started doing beta for it. I was fortunate enough to visit the Periphery guys in Washington DC two months ago and while discussing the IR being used they said there was a huge IR shootout they did and in the end it was a battle between "ML Angle Attack" and "Misha Mix 08" and surely enough the "Misha Mix 08" (which by the way is the very first IR I ever collaborated on with Misha) was chosen as the tone for the upcoming Periphery album.

If you're not a geek you can stop reading now. Here's where things get interestesting... only for IR geeks. I wanted to find the recipe for this magical super djent IR. After hours of reading logs and notes of how things went down when creating the pack I cracked the code. Turns out it is a simple blend of two Alloy IR's from Cab Pack 13: "USA Bulb SM57-MD421 44" and "USA Bulb SM57-SM57 20". So that is three SM57 mics and one MD421 with real mic phase. Feel free to experiment with that mix and make it your own. :)

What can we learn from this? I think the majority of people may not dive this deep into a Cab Pack to even think of blending two Alloys together but that's the whole magic of the IR world. The options are endless and it's usually the interesting "less is more" approach that gives you great results. If you really want to find "your tone" please take the time and trust your ears to find the IR's for you.

I've never heard this version with Devin Townsend...did he do any other songs with them? That was amazing. He was sooooo good the last time I saw him when he was touring for Addicted.

So is it safe to assume the Misha mixes are not actually Ultra-Res from the bug? Or at the very least the .ir file versions

I had been struggling with my tone for a while now. I spent most of the day at work yesterday trying to think of what I was doing wrong. So, when I got home, I did a fresh setup on my guitar, made a new patch with a drive, the HBE and a cab block and then spent about 4 hours going through all of the IRs I have (I have got a lot!). When it was all said and done I ended up with a blend of the ML Angle Attack and USA Bulb SM57-SM57 20, and that was without having seen this post. I seriously love these IRs! I have yet to find any others that give the brightness and clarity that I look for in my tone. Thanks for everything you do Mikko!

I had been struggling with my tone for a while now. I spent most of the day at work yesterday trying to think of what I was doing wrong. So, when I got home, I did a fresh setup on my guitar, made a new patch with a drive, the HBE and a cab block and then spent about 4 hours going through all of the IRs I have (I have got a lot!). When it was all said and done I ended up with a blend of the ML Angle Attack and USA Bulb SM57-SM57 20, and that was without having seen this post. I seriously love these IRs! I have yet to find any others that give the brightness and clarity that I look for in my tone. Thanks for everything you do Mikko!
Wow dude that's pretty incredible! There are so many IR's in those two packs so for you to choose those exact IR's there's definitely some magic going on in them. :)

Back
Top Bottom