The last shimmer preset, I promise!

atquinn

Power User
So I took some ideas from Larry Mitchell's preset and some other presets to come up with the smoothest shimmery preset I could

Smooth Shimmer.png
As in Larry's preset, the input that is creating the shimmer sound is straight from the guitar (no amp or cab processing). The first volume block does an autoswell (inspired by the Black Hole preset). The second one is attached to expression pedal 2 to take the effect from kind of loud to completely obnoxious. Both audio paths go through the same reverb and the "guitar" path goes through its own delay (tied to tap tempo). There's also a Scene 2 that has an Atomica High amp for soloing fun. The shimmer effect is turned off by default on Scene 2 (by bypassing the first volume block), but it can be turned on using the footswitch. And of course there's a looper block.

Finally, the MTD block was probably inspired if not taken verbatim from Simeon Harris' block libraries and presets collection http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/Blocks/blocks.html
The AX8 can't use the presets (they were made on an Axe FX2), but the blocks are useable and are great. If you try them out and agree, kick a little $ his way by way of thanks.

I recorded some samples using my Suhr Classic Pro. The first is with the delay off. The second is with delay on. The 3rd is with chorus and delay on with the shimmer level at completely obnoxious (the high level works best with single notes stuff IMO). The amp sound might not translate well, but you should at least be able to get an idea of the effect.

Like I said, I promise not to bother you with this stuff going forward, but it's fun to share and I thought some newer users might find some of the configuration stuff useful for their own presets (I've certainly learned a ton by picking apart presets).
-
Austin

Attachments

• Smooth Shimmer.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys! The more savvy among you have probaby already realized this, but if not...

If you go to the Mix tab of the Cab block and set the bypass type to mute, you can then assign the Cab to a free footswitch. Now if you turn the cab off, you will just get pure shimmer, with no guitar on top. I was just playing along with my daughter using this pure shimmer a little bit ago (she's a budding flutist so I was backing her up while she played Mary Had a Little Lamb :D). Fun stuff.
-
Austin

atquinn, If I'm understanding the way this works, I could set up this patch in an Axe-FX with split signal, so that I could play a high gain sound thru one amp sim, while maintaining the clean shimmer thru another amp sim, right?
But the big grumble with the AX8 is that I can only run one amp at a time, which would mean I have to choose between high gain lead+distorted shimmer, or the clean shimmer without the gain.
Am I close???

atquinn, If I'm understanding the way this works, I could set up this patch in an Axe-FX with split signal, so that I could play a high gain sound thru one amp sim, while maintaining the clean shimmer thru another amp sim, right?
But the big grumble with the AX8 is that I can only run one amp at a time, which would mean I have to choose between high gain lead+distorted shimmer, or the clean shimmer without the gain.
Am I close???

The routing demonstrated in this patch will give you what you want - a high gain lead in parallel with a clean shimmer. If you want the clean shimmer to have grit/gain, just add a drive block to that path. It's already so effected that an amp sim isn't really necessary.

Am I close???

No. The great thing about this is the shimmer path is completely separate from the amp path. So you can switch from clean amp X to hi gain amp Y and the shimmer will always be clean regardless. An advantage of the rack units is that you can use 2 reverbs; one for the shimmer path and one for the amp path (that the shimmer path also runs through). I'm experimenting with putting reverb hold for the shimmer path on a expression pedal that will also turn down the shimmer input. Then you'll be able to freeze the shimmer whenever you want and solo over it with either a clean or a dirty tone.
-
Austin

Austin - I used this preset on Sunday at my Church and it was awesome. I did some tweaking on the amp and also gave the shimmer a little more range with the expression pedal so I could bring it in and out more. Thanks so much for the patch! Oh and when you figure out the shimmer hold, let me know, that would be a great addition as well.

Back
Top Bottom