FM3 The Last Post - For My Dad

ak301

Power User
My Dad died last Friday and I've been dealing with loosing him the past few days.
I sat down to play along with some backing tracks tonight and instead ended up recording this for him.
It's Mark Knopfler's version of the Last Post

Like Mark my dad was from the North East of England, Hartlepool in fact. He was born in 1940 and joined the British Army in the early 60's as a radio operator on Tanks and served all over the world from Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Hong Kong and Germany.
I was born in West Germany in 1978 and we moved back to England in the mid-80's and by then he was a Captain. The regiment was being posted back to Germany and I would've been sent off to a boarding school, but he didn't want us to be separated as a family so he gave up any chance of his career progressing to take a desk job running a Territorial Army unit at air support unit at an airbase is the East Midlands of England.

I got into music heavily in the early 90's and he was always very supportive of everything I did and as soon as I started playing guitar he always loved to hear me play.
He instilled in me liking lots of different types of music, he loved Bobby Darren and Matt Monro to The Beatles, Floyd and ZZ Top

Sadly his health deteriorated over the past few months and he died of heart failure peacefully in hospital

I had a gig the following night, wasn't sure if I should or could do it. But once we got going it was all for him and the others said I was playing my ass off - Felt so therapeutic

Anyway, I'm so pi55ed off I can't get to talk to him again so sat down tonight to just jam along and before I knew it I was recording this

I don't know if it's any good or not as I'm not a pro, but hope someone likes it.

So sorry for your loss. I can relate to how you're feeling. When I lost my brother from pancreatic cancer, he was so medicated in the last few weeks that It was very difficult to communicate with him. I thought he had a lot more time than he really did and there was a lot to say but he was so out of it we really never got the chance.

I'm glad your Dad went peacefully, and your music will be a comfort to you and a way for you to honor his memory.

So sorry for your loss. I can relate to how you're feeling. When I lost my brother from pancreatic cancer, he was so medicated in the last few weeks that It was very difficult to communicate with him. I thought he had a lot more time than he really did and there was a lot to say but he was so out of it we really never got the chance.

I'm glad your Dad went peacefully, and your music will be a comfort to you and a way for you to honor his memory.

Thankfully he was still coherent and lucid the last few times we spoke

But Friday I got called in the early hours that he'd fallen out of bed. i went round and lifted him back onto his bed but he was only just conscious and called an Ambulance
When they took him out of the house I knew he wasn't coming back

Hey, sorry about your dad. Mine was also born in 1940, but died much younger than yours, in 91. I missed sharing a lot of things with him. Even though your father lived a lot longer than mine, I'm sure it's still difficult.
Our taste in music was very different, but one day he came home with Let It Be on 8 track, and that was pretty cool. Glad he supported your music!

Sorry to hear about your Dad’s passing, and your loss. You were wise to go on with your gig. Life does indeed go on, and the best we can do is honor those who helped us find our way. He sounds a good soul, and lived a good life. He finished his course well, and now pulls for you to do the same. I’m sure you will.

Based on your description, It sounds like.., to me,.. that your dad is the kind of guy that would enjoyably continue listening to you play your music, no matter what plain he continues to reside in.

I Feel Your pain brother, ..my step-dad, who I loved Dearly, recently passed.
In life...We had a VERY pleasant go of it..that's all I can think about when he comes to mind.

My Dad died last Friday and I've been dealing with loosing him the past few days.
I sat down to play along with some backing tracks tonight and instead ended up recording this for him.
It's Mark Knopfler's version of the Last Post

Like Mark my dad was from the North East of England, Hartlepool in fact. He was born in 1940 and joined the British Army in the early 60's as a radio operator on Tanks and served all over the world from Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Hong Kong and Germany.
I was born in West Germany in 1978 and we moved back to England in the mid-80's and by then he was a Captain. The regiment was being posted back to Germany and I would've been sent off to a boarding school, but he didn't want us to be separated as a family so he gave up any chance of his career progressing to take a desk job running a Territorial Army unit at air support unit at an airbase is the East Midlands of England.

I got into music heavily in the early 90's and he was always very supportive of everything I did and as soon as I started playing guitar he always loved to hear me play.
He instilled in me liking lots of different types of music, he loved Bobby Darren and Matt Monro to The Beatles, Floyd and ZZ Top

Sadly his health deteriorated over the past few months and he died of heart failure peacefully in hospital

I had a gig the following night, wasn't sure if I should or could do it. But once we got going it was all for him and the others said I was playing my ass off - Felt so therapeutic

Anyway, I'm so pi55ed off I can't get to talk to him again so sat down tonight to just jam along and before I knew it I was recording this

I don't know if it's any good or not as I'm not a pro, but hope someone likes it.

Sorry for your loss. I am certain that, somehow, some way, he is watching and listening, and is touched by your feelings and the recording you made in his honor....

...The regiment was being posted back to Germany and I would've been sent off to a boarding school, but he didn't want us to be separated as a family so he gave up any chance of his career progressing to take a desk job running a Territorial Army unit at air support unit at an airbase is the East Midlands of England
...I don't know if it's any good or not as I'm not a pro, but hope someone likes it.
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you loved him and he you. Be thankful for that. Military life isn't easy and especially with a family.

Nice job!

So sorry for your loss I know how you feel I lost my Mom & Dad two month’s apart and my father was a fighter pilot he flew the T 33, P 40 War Hawks, and the P 51s Mustangs.
And like you I still wish I could talk with them both and share things with them both.

I have my Fathers Foot Locker and his uniform and everything form his war days. It’s just like it was when he last folded it and put it in his trunk. I still have a hard time with it and may donate it to a air war museum.
This is my Dad Flying a T 33. Army Air force
Your Dad Will Always Be With You. He’s only gone in body.
F4DBB34F-4268-47EF-90DD-EF3D4002684C.png

Back
Top Bottom