The interface in the FM3

Phil M

Inspired
I was looking at the Audient ID4 and ID14 as well as the new SSL2+ Interfaces. I also plan to get the FM3 and I know that has a USB interface built in. If I have a new iMac and get an FM3, I don’t need to get another interface for the following home use cases (please confirm):

1. I want to record direct with my tube amp and Two Notes Torpedo Live. I can use the FM3 as a dedicated interface via USB to my iMac and DAW. I can bypass all of the FM3’s effects, amp modeling, and cabinet features and use it strictly as an interface.

2. I can hook up my preamp pedal and use the FM3 as my audio interface and for my cabinet emulator (IR loader) direct to my DAW. I can bypass all of the FM3’s effects and amp modeling.

3. I can attach an SM57 mic to the FM3 and use it as the interface and mic pre to record a guitar cabinet direct to my IMac and DAW.

NOTE: I would of course use the Fractal’s amp modeling and cab features for going direct most of the time. I just want to verify if the FM3 can pull additional duty for use with my other gear (and avoid purchasing a new interface if I don’t need to).

Pretty much yes to all. The FM3 can transfer any audio input via USB, so a Shunt only preset or even directly recording the Dry USB path should work like any other interface as you’ve described.

Not sure on the last one if you mean adding a mic pre. The FM3 itself does not have a mic preamp and you should have one when using a mic.

Back
Top Bottom