"The Infield" factory preset

grandinq

Power User
I was poking around the factory presets, looking for some fun ambient effects for a new song, when I stumbled across one called The Infield. It's not ambient, but when I played it with single coils it had a great sound. Reminded me of Gilmour on The Wall. Usually I can figure out the song or artist reference in a factory preset name, as they are not meant to be subtle. This one has me stumped. All I could think of was the band The Outfield. Does anyone know the inspiration behind this preset?

I was poking around the factory presets, looking for some fun ambient effects for a new song, when I stumbled across one called The Infield. It's not ambient, but when I played it with single coils it had a great sound. Reminded me of Gilmour on The Wall. Usually I can figure out the song or artist reference in a factory preset name, as they are not meant to be subtle. This one has me stumped. All I could think of was the band The Outfield. Does anyone know the inspiration behind this preset?
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/preset-name-meanings.85258/

It's the Outfield. "Your Love"

Just the other day I tweaked the effects a little and it sounded EXACTLY like the record. It's a great preset and has really held up over the years. I think Cliff made it!
Curious - could you post with the tweaks? What guitar....always seemed close but not with a les paul to me.

Wow it’s been a long time since I’ve heard that song. Thanks for posting it very cool.
I’m going to check the infield preset out Thanks :)

That video is what comes to mind when I see people playing headless guitars today. lol.

1579635957125.png

And yeah - realized it was def single coils on the guitar.

That album is excellent. Tones, playing and singing are great. Dated, perhaps. But excellent, imo/

Saw them open up for THE FIXX at Westbury maybe 10 years ago (I guess 10 years have got behind me). They were great. Same with The Fixx. Just before they started playing One Thing Leads to Another, Cy Curnin said,"Time to pay the rent."
We saw the Fixx maybe 5, 6 years ago? They were EXCELLENT! Killer guitar tones and that 80s songwriting is my cup of (pop) tea.

Saw them open up for THE FIXX at Westbury maybe 10 years ago (I guess 10 years have got behind me). They were great. Same with The Fixx. Just before they started playing One Thing Leads to Another, Cy Curnin said,"Time to pay the rent."
They were ones of my favorite bands back then. Had a backstage in to a show they were doing I'm Boston, but left before anything, for sad reasons.

Don't know if any of you guitar players noticed their keyboard player, but I always thought he was super interesting and unique.

EDIT: Just realized I might not have been clear, I was talking about The Fixx :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JTI
Used that preset WAY BACK when we had a singer who could wail on Your Love.
Been so long, but recall it was on the Ultra presets (#347) !! ;)
But I moved it into #10 (bank1) so I could get to it via MFC

The FIXX are still around and still VERY great...if you get a chance to see them live, jump on it...

Reactions: JTI
The guitarist for the Outfield was really excellent. Unfortunately, John Spinks passed away a few years ago. The sustaining chords were beautifully constructed and he was a stickler for tone.

Back
Top Bottom