The Importance of IRs

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Impulse Responses (IRs) are the single most important part of an amplifier plus cab's sound yet they are often overlooked. People concentrate on the amp when it's the cab that has far more influence on the sound.

Therefore we have created this section of the forum to encourage people to acquire and share IRs. Your Axe-Fx II has an IR acquisition system built right in. Learn to use it and share your IRs and you and the the community will greatly benefit.

I would love to see some multiple mic IRs, i.e. an open back cab with, say, three mics including one on the back and other common studio mic'ing techniques.

How is this section meant to be different than the "User Cabs and IR's" section down in General Discussion?

I have to agree with the OP.

When I create a new patch, especially when I'm going for a (to me) new sound or with an amp sim I hardly know, I spend alot of the time browsing through the cabs (and mics, if I want)! Much more time than on the amp sim.

The cab IR is what makes or breaks a tone, IME.

I happened to notice Cabs make a drastic change in my tone, but I never looked into IR's ! would be great indeed if ppl could share some !

If Fractal is using some IR's other than the firmware IR's, would it make sense to post those here too?

Richard

Don't be a fool. The guy has established a pattern of spreading lies, BS threads and Heavenly Firmwarez!
(hopefully this post won't cause a sizzle...:mrgreen)

OP = original post, in this case. Otherwise I'd said "I agree with Cliff". ;)

I happened to notice Cabs make a drastic change in my tone, but I never looked into IR's ! would be great indeed if ppl could share some !

All cabs in the Axe-Fx are IRs. It's just that some come "hardcoded" as part of the firmware (cab types 1-68) and then you can load additional 50 IRs as "user cabs".
Those can be freely available, or bought (from, e.g., Redwirez and Ownhammer), or captured by yourself with the IR capture feature on the Axe-Fx II.
With firmware 6.0, you can also export the content of the tonematch block as an IR and load it as a cab (user IR).

What would be great is if there was a way to post the IR's so that they are easily accessable . What I mean is if everyone posts comments etc along with the IR in a thread, it becomes cumbersome to retrieve them. What would be excellent is if we could get axechange up and running

How are II IRs any difference than regulars wavs or what's used on the Ultra/Standard? It's simple convert regular wav IRs to syx files for the II... it's all basically the same technology isn't it, with different formatting?

Correct. There are converters to make the .syx in the correct format.

But the AxeFx II is capable of approx. double the IR length of the Ultra/Std.

Whether or not the double length is an advantage or not... I will leave to another poptart :)

Richard

I would love to see some multiple mic IRs, i.e. an open back cab with, say, three mics including one on the back and other common studio mic'ing techniques.

I can do that. Just need a tutorial or a tip to RTFM--or something. :)

Basic, newbie question: Can I make IRs of the cabs even if the speaker(s) is (are) in a combo? In other words, it's not just a cab with speakers. The amp is in there, too. But if I shoot an IR, I wouldn't be doing a tone match of the amp, I'd just be getting an IR of the speaker and cab. Correct? And I could do that with any amp or cab I have. Not only that, but I could put different speakers in different amps/cabs and shoot new IRs?

Example: I think the new Eminence EJ 1250 speaker is fantastic. I'd like to do an IR of that speaker in two or three different 1 x 12 combos I have. Each cab is (obviously) a bit different.

I can do that. Just need a tutorial or a tip to RTFM--or something. :)

Basic, newbie question: Can I make IRs of the cabs even if the speaker(s) is (are) in a combo? In other words, it's not just a cab with speakers. The amp is in there, too. But if I shoot an IR, I wouldn't be doing a tone match of the amp, I'd just be getting an IR of the speaker and cab. Correct? And I could do that with any amp or cab I have. Not only that, but I could put different speakers in different amps/cabs and shoot new IRs?

Example: I think the new Eminence EJ 1250 speaker is fantastic. I'd like to do an IR of that speaker in two or three different 1 x 12 combos I have. Each cab is (obviously) a bit different.

The cab contributes significantly to the sound. Obviously if there's an amp in the cab you don't want to use the amp itself. Use a neutral solid-state amp to drive the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom