The III seems like a bass dream machine (or just a dream machine period).

Dogstarr

Inspired
With the multiple signal paths, would seem to be potentially a real bass machine, though no doubt it'll be phenomenal for guitar, it really seems like they were thinking bass too on this one.

I guess the downside is that we probably won't see a lot more bass specific updates for the II, so we may never see the B-15, or GK-800 unless we upgrade.

How they handle bass will make a big difference to me on whether to add the III (no plan to sell my II, still way too useful, it's not like it suddenly sounds worse, it still nails whatever amp I dial up, has stellar FX, etc.).

I know they have some Dr. Bonkers Bass IR mixes included, and probably all the bass Cab packs released for the II, so it looks like they'll be more focused on bass too this generation, but haven't really seen anything suggesting that, other then the great platform it's built on being so well crafted for bass and the Bass IR Mixes...but that would seem a good sign.

Beyond the good set-up and those IR Mixes, has there been any mention of more being done for bass in the III?

I don't think the inclusion of the I/O really makes it that much more of a machine for bassists. It does help, but, what would really help are more factory amps, cabs, and FX. I didn't see much to suggest that the III comes with much new stuff (outside maybe a couple of cabs? It's unclear).
I got in line for the III as well... but I'm not 100% sold on getting it. I'm like you... I'd almost need to see it be more useful for my instrument. I'm sure there are allllll sorts of goodies for guitarists in there. Would love to eat crow and find out there are a decent amount of bass specific in there, too.

having the extra Io chain is nice, cause there are a few pedals i would like to incorporate into my setup, and have them in a kind of standard effects loop kind of setup. But for most of the stuff I probably won't be making use of it any time soon in my bass setup.

Since I am primarily playing bass these days I won't be chasing after a FX-III right away. I will pick one up late in the year most probably. I will most likely pickup a used AX-8 to use as my live setup before than.

Well, I'm not even in the market for an AxeFxIII...but...I would take a very serious look if they added a significant number of bass amp models and some high res bass cabs. I probably would gig with it rarely, but it would be more a source of home studio fun and noise making. Of course, if all sorts of bass additions had me finding the tone of my dreams, then I'd definitely be wanting to gig it often.

That's a lot of "ifs". I'm keeping my eyes, ears, and mind open, so we'll see.

Yep, there are a lot of ifs for sure. As much as I don't want to spend another 2500usd, I'm hoping it'll be a must have for studio integration and for bass (want to see the sort of plug and play awesome instant tones happening for bass too this time).

I'm also hoping that with all the ins and outs on the thing you can run a preamp in and just use the power amp and cabs on the III (or run a preamp out to your real power amp and cabs), understood that they were unable to do that with the II, but with all the connectivity now, one would think that it's doable on the III, it mentions that it models preamp and power amp separately in the III, but still don't know if that means you can bypass the preamp section, or mix and match preamps and power amps in the box, anyone know?

Other then the custom IR mixes from Dr Bonkers, I don't think it's any more bass-centric at launch, I expect that it will get a lot better for bass over time, but that remains to be seen.

Was it possible to run 2 different guitars plus 1 bass thru the III simultaneously ?
I can't remember what was said.
I hope so. It would be amazing if one unit would do this much for small gigging setups.

It could, routing wise. There’s only two amp and cab blocks though.

For bass you could try and use a combination of compression, drive and eq in stead of amp and cab.

I got my invite yesterday, but I'm fairly certain I'm passing on it. FAS has remained silent on bass in their gear, so it isn't worth me dropping $2500 just to have the same thing I already do with my Axe-Fx II and AX8.

Yeah, I haven't even gotten on the list, my guess is it will get a lot more bass specific effects and amps, but over the course of several updates, so I'm figuring give it a year, maybe even two and it will likely be worth it as a step up, but no real need to run out and get one at launch, wait and see what happens for bass.

Yeah, I haven't even gotten on the list, my guess is it will get a lot more bass specific effects and amps, but over the course of several updates, so I'm figuring give it a year, maybe even two and it will likely be worth it as a step up, but no real need to run out and get one at launch, wait and see what happens for bass.

I like your optimism. Hopefully, you're patient and deal well with disappointment. OTOH, I hope you're right about this.

my gut intuition is that bassists will get a lot of love in the near future...the increased (perceived )dynamic range of the III seems tailored for it...and there is no way that FAS has not heard the gnashing of scores of frustrated bottom-end dweller’s teeth.

my gut intuition is that bassists will get a lot of love in the near future...the increased (perceived )dynamic range of the III seems tailored for it...and there is no way that FAS has not heard the gnashing of scores of frustrated bottom-end dweller’s teeth.

Oh, no doubt they HEAR the loud cries from the very, very few bassists remaining who entertain using Fractal stuff. The question is, given their limited resources for product development, how much do they CARE to indulge bassists? Fractal technology has always been capable modeling for bass, going back to the Ultra days - unless there is something fundamentally unique to bass that makes modeling tasks especially difficult (I don't think so - other companies - Line 6, Boss, Zoom - seem to have no problem targeting bassists). Where there's a will, there's a way. I just suspect that the general attitude is that FAS will always find things that they need to address that are much more pressing than the tiny bass market that they seem uninterested in cultivating in any meaningful way.

The Axe II and AX8 work great for bass, but it's far from the plug and play instant awesome tone that it is for guitar, I hope to see that change with the III.

Personally, I think they should work closely with someone that's really into bass, like say Dr. Bonkers (who has done some special mixes that are included at launch and also indicate at least a bit more interest in getting more bass specific stuff into the III), so that could lead to more constant development in that area and over the course of a year, or two worth of updates it achieves for bass what it has for guitar,

Sure it's a hope and based on past performance, maybe just a dream, but let's give them time and see what happens.

The Axe II and AX8 work great for bass, but it's far from the plug and play instant awesome tone that it is for guitar, I hope to see that change with the III.

Personally, I think they should work closely with someone that's really into bass, like say Dr. Bonkers (who has done some special mixes that are included at launch and also indicate at least a bit more interest in getting more bass specific stuff into the III), so that could lead to more constant development in that area and over the course of a year, or two worth of updates it achieves for bass what it has for guitar,

Sure it's a hope and based on past performance, maybe just a dream, but let's give them time and see what happens.
I would really welcome doing this.

Thanks for the kind words and support.

Back
Top Bottom