AFIII The III does a very chill Sugaree

Oh man that is lovely. Like sitting on the porch and digging a nice sunrise. Thanks for sharing.
I probably saw Dead 50 shows, going back to the 70s. Getting "that" tone is really elusive. I had a Boogie Lonestar that I had modded to really get more of a Deluxe Verb sound. It was great for blues, but also could produce a nice Jerry tone. The AxeFX III seems to have a little extra mojo in those blackface tones. I'm having fun just working out with the presets... spent a few hours yesterday noodling around on Bird Song, using both the amp models, and the cool synth leads :)

Ian, sounds great! The Deluxe can definitely get you in the ballpark. IIRC my main Jerry patch was a combo of the Twin + Vox (or maybe a Twin w/ Vox tonestack) to get a little more of that midrange bite he had later on... I haven't used it in a while. Your Trey patches are pretty good for Dead tunes too ;-)

I'm really jonesing to play some GD again... I was in a tribute band for a couple of years when I lived in Raleigh but haven't played much Dead since I moved to Utah. And somewhat surprisingly they *are* popular here... it helps being near a ski town ;-)

I’ll be honest: I was aiming more for Bob’s modern tone than classic Jerry here. I’ve been fascinated with Bob’s ice pick tones as of late. They’re awful and awesome all at the same time. He’s more percussion than rhythm. It’s amazing.

@jefferski I’d hang it up if I couldn’t have Dead covers in our sets. Their music is on another level and I love exploring it.

And thanks for reminding me: I have Trey for the III ready to go.

@jefferski I’d hang it up if I couldn’t have Dead covers in our sets. Their music is on another level and I love exploring it.

And thanks for reminding me: I have Trey for the III ready to go.
Nice! Hopefully one of these days I'll have the III ;-) And yea, Bob's tone - especially w/ the Hoog (?) - is interesting to say the least. I'm not sure I like it either, but he makes it work.

As much as I love playing the Dead (and jambands in general), I also love playing rock and funk. I've found that when I play a lot of Dead, I end up itching to just play some power chords and kick-ass leads. And when I'm in a rock band, I long for jamming more and feeling the music more... ;-)

As much as I love playing the Dead (and jambands in general), I also love playing rock and funk. I've found that when I play a lot of Dead, I end up itching to just play some power chords and kick-ass leads. And when I'm in a rock band, I long for jamming more and feeling the music more... ;-)
We mix it up. I couldn't do just one band or genre any more. There's some Chili Peppers in the set now. And some Cake. And some Meters. And Peter Gabriel, because why not? We go all over the map!

He’s more percussion than rhythm. It’s amazing.
I would go further and say this is true of all the greats - including Clapton, the 3 Kings, Eddie, Stevie, Jerry, Jimmy H and Jimmy P, Gilmour, Yngwie. It’s not the notes but the pockets they create. It’s the pocket that moves you - every time.

We mix it up. I couldn't do just one band or genre any more. There's some Chili Peppers in the set now. And some Cake. And some Meters. And Peter Gabriel, because why not? We go all over the map!
Yea, so do we. Kings of Leon to Journey, 10000 Maniacs to Allmans, Pearl Jam, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, Sublime... all over the map is good! And we're learning In Your Eyes for an upcoming wedding gig ;-) But only 2 of us like the Dead and know how to do it justice. Maybe Mr. Charlie or something straightforward...

Yea, so do we. Kings of Leon to Journey, 10000 Maniacs to Allmans, Pearl Jam, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, Sublime... all over the map is good! And we're learning In Your Eyes for an upcoming wedding gig ;-) But only 2 of us like the Dead and know how to do it justice. Maybe Mr. Charlie or something straightforward...
In Your Eyes is our PG tune! I probably have a recording of it around here....I’ll post it.

Mr Charlie is also in our set. We go Mr Charlie > Funky Bitch.

We dropped Mr. Charlie... love that song.

We are pretty much a Dead spinoff with tons of Dead covers and our own originals too. Some of the Dead covers we do that I really like are: Franklin's Tower, Bertha, Althea, Dead version of Deep Elem Blues, Garcia Band version of Dear Prudence, Me and My Uncle, Dead version of Beat It On Down the Line, Dead version of Aiko Aiko.... etc. :)

In Your Eyes is our PG tune! I probably have a recording of it around here....I’ll post it.
Mr Charlie is also in our set. We go Mr Charlie > Funky Bitch.
Love to hear that!

We are pretty much a Dead spinoff with tons of Dead covers and our own originals too. Some of the Dead covers we do that I really like are: Franklin's Tower, Bertha, Althea, Dead version of Deep Elem Blues, Garcia Band version of Dear Prudence, Me and My Uncle, Dead version of Beat It On Down the Line, Dead version of Aiko Aiko.... etc. :)
Man, I want to be playing that stuff again! It's just that most Dead songs have a certain vibe that doesn't go along w/ all the different rock and funky stuff we play - at least not as far as our audience is concerned, I think we'd lose most of them. We do a couple Allman Bros tunes that work because they're pretty much straight blues, which is why maybe Mr. C would work. Also, our bassist is not improvisational at all. He's real solid when he learns a song, but that isn't how to play the Dead :)

My old tribute band went deep - Other One, Birdsong, Eyes, China Cat, Scarlet/Fire... a lot of the real jammy stuff along w/ the tighter songs like Sugaree, Bertha, Deal, etc.

Love to hear that!

Man, I want to be playing that stuff again! It's just that most Dead songs have a certain vibe that doesn't go along w/ all the different rock and funky stuff we play - at least not as far as our audience is concerned, I think we'd lose most of them. We do a couple Allman Bros tunes that work because they're pretty much straight blues, which is why maybe Mr. C would work. Also, our bassist is not improvisational at all. He's real solid when he learns a song, but that isn't how to play the Dead :)

My old tribute band went deep - Other One, Birdsong, Eyes, China Cat, Scarlet/Fire... a lot of the real jammy stuff along w/ the tighter songs like Sugaree, Bertha, Deal, etc.

We play a really extended Bird Song and Deal. We do Scarlet but segue in and out of an original tune vs. Fire On The Mountain.

We used to joke that we were a Phish Cover Cover band — we’d cover a song if Phish covered it. :D

We jammed Althea last week. Not sure if it’ll make it into the set but I keep slipping it in at rehearsal to try and socialize it.

We used to joke that we were a Phish Cover Cover band — we’d cover a song if Phish covered it. :D

We jammed Althea last week. Not sure if it’ll make it into the set but I keep slipping it in at rehearsal to try and socialize it.

We are definitely like that with the Dead and cover a lot of their "covers".

I think Sugaree is either "traditional" or Taj Mahall ? and not the Dead.

Back
Top Bottom