The humble spring reverb...

iaresee

Administrator
...is hella awesome and should not be overlooked when you're looking to get wet, wet, wet.

It's easy to skip right to the complex reverb algorithms, but you're going to pay for all that lush with CPU cycles. Don't overlook just how great the spring reverb can be at giving you space in an unobtrusive manner. Pair it up with some Fender tones and you've got an ambient beast of a preset that'll take you from nü-surf to shoegaze and back again.

Some random noodling to hopefully illustrate the point:

And a preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5438

That should convert reasonable well to the latest AX8 beta -- is uses motor drive to really put some nice edge on the chime, you want that.

I stumbled across a great deal on a used G&L Legacy Tribute in a local guitar store this weekend, and I needed to try it out through an amp. I ended up using some sort of new Fender Deluxe. This is the first time I've played through a physical guitar amp in months and months.

Spring reverb.

Yuk. I hated it. Just a cheap, cheesy sound. I turned it down, down, down.

Personally, I love the Medium Plate in the Axe. It's a good mixture of pure ambient and physical reverb creation, in my opinion.

...is hella awesome and should not be overlooked when you're looking to get wet, wet, wet.

It's easy to skip right to the complex reverb algorithms, but you're going to pay for all that lush with CPU cycles. Don't overlook just how great the spring reverb can be at giving you space in an unobtrusive manner. Pair it up with some Fender tones and you've got an ambient beast of a preset that'll take you from nü-surf to shoegaze and back again.

Some random noodling to hopefully illustrate the point:

And a preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5438

That should convert reasonable well to the latest AX8 beta -- is uses motor drive to really put some nice edge on the chime, you want that.

I have never liked the spring reverb sound. It was always way too retro sounding for me. But, the Fractal spring reverb sounds nothing like that to me. It is complex and doesn't have that mechanical (for lack of a better term) sound. I use it on all of my presets on my AX8.

Love spring reverb. When I was a kid, I had a stand-alone Fender reverb tank. The fractal sounds just like it, and best of all, it does does not splode when you jump up and down near it. How good is that?

Didn't EHX make a spring reverb simulation pedal that had a "kick" button on it? Simulated the 'splosion when you bumped into a spring reverb amp.

Love spring reverb. When I was a kid, I had a stand-alone Fender reverb tank. The fractal sounds just like it, and best of all, it does does not splode when you jump up and down near it. How good is that?

Sadly, this also makes it impossible to simulate nuclear explosions by kicking your amp.

I stumbled across a great deal on a used G&L Legacy Tribute in a local guitar store this weekend, and I needed to try it out through an amp. I ended up using some sort of new Fender Deluxe. This is the first time I've played through a physical guitar amp in months and months.

Spring reverb.

Yuk. I hated it. Just a cheap, cheesy sound. I turned it down, down, down.

Personally, I love the Medium Plate in the Axe. It's a good mixture of pure ambient and physical reverb creation, in my opinion.
Try the FAS spring reverb. It's got enough options on it to take it from plink to sproing. Very versatile.

I have never liked the spring reverb sound. It was always way too retro sounding for me. But, the Fractal spring reverb sounds nothing like that to me. It is complex and doesn't have that mechanical (for lack of a better term) sound. I use it on all of my presets on my AX8.
Same for me. I don't really like 'real' spring reverbs, except if I'm actually going for the surf sound. That being said, I use spring on all my AX8 presets... whether just a touch in the background, or if I boost it for a soaring lead type of sound, and it sounds great, not at all the sproing kind of sound. At first I was bummed that we "had to" use spring to save CPU, but really it sounds great and I never think about it any more.

I still say that the late 60s Ampeg amps had 'the best' reverbs ever. There was also something about how the amp would 'bite' when overdriven. Smooth ripage. Would love to have one in the Axe Fx arsenal.

Great to hear it is possible to create the "stand-alone fender reverb tank".
Could you please share those settings?
I'm new to fractal (ax8).
The ax8 sounds very nice but at the moment I can't seem to make it sound like my 6g15 stand-alone reverb.
( tried several hours yesterday to get it done. 6g15 in loop, 2 scenes. 1 scene with 6g15, the other with spring reverb algorithm)
Both before the amp block.

Thanks!

I usually start with a medium spring, unless I amp going for a really dense reverb, then I use the large spring. I dial in the time and size, then mix to taste. If I want just a touch of reverb then I run the mix around 10 - 12. If I want more reverb, then I run the mix around 15. Heavy reverb for me is 20. I suggest you turn the time knob all the way up, then all the way down and listen to how that affects the sound. Then do the same with the time knob (full up then fully down). Once you hear what the knobs are doing to the sound, you can better dial in what you want.

That's what my Sears Silvertone amp circa 1969 sounded like when I bumped it in my tiny adolescent bedroom.

Wow, thanks for the memory... I had a Sears Silvertone 2x12. My uncle gave it to me when I was in high school back in the day. Unfortunately it died and I knew nothing about repairing amps at the time...

However, still have have my old V2 and V4 Ampegs. Need to blow the dust off of them and take them out for spin... =:·)

Our reverbs should have a "kick" button in the UI when spring mode is selected :)

Isn't that what they did in "Sunglasses at Night"?
I have a Yamaha REV500 rack mount reverb. It has a "hit" button that when pressed gives a single rim-shot to test the reverb. The REV500 is a great reverb and the hit button is the greatest idea since the primal scream.

Back
Top Bottom