The Hook

Perdikament

Power User
i just went from 4.01b to 5.00b and noticed a significant volume & gain increase between the two FW's.

Fwiw...
To get 5 to sound like 4 I just had to reduce Input Trim from 1.000 to 0.100 & reduce preamp bias from .120 to .100
And bring the Harmonics back to 0.

Thanks for posting. I installed 4.01b last night and played the Hook for a couple of hours...what a great sounding amp. Was going to install Q5 today until I read this... so, I'll wait for the next update... and do another couple of hours with the 4.01b Hook tonight!

Thanks for posting. I installed 4.01b last night and played the Hook for a couple of hours...what a great sounding amp. Was going to install Q5 today until I read this... so, I'll wait for the next update... and do another couple of hours with the 4.01b Hook tonight!
Love the Hook. When I first loaded 5 & switched the FW to it on one of my Hook patches I was a bit surprised how much louder & more gain there was. But, a quick tweak of those settings & it's pretty close if not the same.
Even the Clean 1A has quite a bit of breakup. Still killer though.

Sooooo goood .... got the patch for 4 crouch channels ... but dammit limited to amps 2; no room for a third to model the 2clean in the same patch. J/K :p

Have to set up clean next. What a great amp model to the amplifier collection available. Thank you - what a great addition.

Now if someone could just explain what a "mu follower" is ... I'd be happier for the low-brow version.

A mu follower is similar to a cascode configuration except the output is off the cathode instead of the plate. So the output impedance is lower.

Thank you for the response Cliff; so what exactly creates the unique harmonic structure in the distortion?

Is it because of the lower output impedance, or is it something to do with the cathode being the output stage … ?

And I'm speaking like I actually understand the words I'm using, but frankly understanding the full implications of these variable characteristics in amplifier circuit design is beyond my ability to comprehend in totality. But I'm learning, albeit slowly - in large part due to the modeling discussions and the cool information provided here. Thank you for any additional guidance and understanding here.

Thank you for the response Cliff; so what exactly creates the unique harmonic structure in the distortion?

Is it because of the lower output impedance, or is it something to do with the cathode being the output stage … ?

And I'm speaking like I actually understand the words I'm using, but frankly understanding the full implications of these variable characteristics in amplifier circuit design is beyond my ability to comprehend in totality. But I'm learning, albeit slowly - in large part due to the modeling discussions and the cool information provided here. Thank you for any additional guidance and understanding here.
Here's a good little read that explains it more in laymans terms metaphorically. It helped me a bit reading through this thread:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t7123/

Back
Top Bottom