The history of Axe Fx so far.

the waiting time back then was endless. actually, during the time I waited, a friend of mine got pregnant and her baby was born and I still didn't have my Ultra :) ! so if I ever hear complaints now about delivery times, I can only smile...

Mine was 11 1/2 months. Europe.

Me and a friend are gear addicts.I discovered the randall rm modular amps and he bought one.He bought the egnater version, so I bought one.He discovered the suhr cae od series, I bought one.He had it upgraded it to a pt100, I did the same.Then he got an axe standard on firmware 5.I tried it and could hear the potential.I tried it several months later.Not quite there.A few months later it was on firmware 7.I took the plunge.I got the II about a year ago.What a rewarding journey.In my old rigs I would spend hours and dollars trying different tubes,speakers,processors,mods, chasing ground loops, finding a way to control it etc.I have learned more about tube amps from tweaking the axe than I ever did from the actual amps! Cliff continually amazes me with his dedication and love for his craft.

My first standard came delivered with firmware 1.xx. 2.0 came out that week. Both Solo-act (Eric) and Javajunkie (Sean) came to fool with mine before buying their own. The Ultra wasn't available for another year or two.

Originally I bought mine when Cliff was blowing out a limited number of Standard units when he had to make the units ROHS compliant for sale overseas. Think I paid about $950 for my first one. My hope was that the shimmer path would sound as good as an eventide eclipse (my other choice at the time). My rack back then consisted of a Switchblade switcher with pedal drawers and units like a TC2290 etc.

Of course the AXE FX could do a great shimmer. Then I tried some of the other FX ... delays, overdrives etc. Couple months later I ditched the rack when I created routings with FX only into my AC30 and a split path with a modeled AC30 as a backup. Then I started using the model as primary with the AMP as backup. Now the Amp is onstage just for stage volume so that the drums aren't the only sound coming off stage to the front row.

Until very recently I was still using a standard unit (I have another one for backup) and still on firmware 5.14. The firmware on a standard after that started to use up so much CPU for the amp models that I couldn't run the rest of my FX chain for a some of my presets.

I just got an AXE FX II about a month ago. I'm still using my old standard rig while I program and test 80+ presets needed for my live show. The standard is still my reliable rig since I've had 6+ years to get the sounds tweaked just right.

This thread needs firmware numbers. Firmware # or it didn't happen! - LOL
I started on a standard, firmware 3.17, June 2007. There's some dudes who had extremely early firmware several months before that.

I'm another early adopter. I started with a Standard running v.3.something around mid-2007. My first album, "One Week in December" was recorded in Dec. 2007 entirely with the Standard running v.5.something (I think...can't recall exactly). You can listen to what it sounded like then at One Week in December | Council of One

The major firmware upgrades dramatically improved the amp and cab modeling. V.11 sounds like a totally different product than v.3 did. I'm still using that Standard on v.11, though I've gone away from IRs in favor of analog cab modeling in the form of an ADA Ampulator running in the loop of the Standard in place of a cab block. Makes a huge difference.

I really want to get a II, and will probably do so as soon as I can sell enough other gear to generate the cash.

Thought I would revive this old thread.Seems not that long ago that we were all looking forward to v11 on the standard/ultra.Hard to believe that we are up to v10 on the 2 already.What a journey!

Thanks for the revival, it was fascinating reading. My own story with modeling stated with Vamps then some how I became aware of the Axe and got a standard. I do remember first plugging in, I just played and played with the various presets, not believing how good my playing
sounded through this marvelous contraption! I eventually got an Ultra and finally sold the Standard after getting my patches as close as I could. The Standard had one patch I loved and couldn't quite recreate ..... but the I enjoyed the Ultra a bit more and sold the Standard for about 100-200 less than I paid for it. I bought the Ultra new from Fractal, I paid full price because I wanted them to have the money to continue to do what they did, which made my life SO much easier and enjoyable. I had a room full of amps and a 5 drawer chest full of...everything, cords, tubes, capacitors, switches, etc......ad nauseum. Assembling pedal boards, arranging order, supplying power, cutting wood, installing velcro, god what a mess.

To go to a one unit device that lets me choose from amps that:
1. I couldn't afford
2. couldn't play in the house due to volume constraints
3. wouldn't have room for
PLUS
all the effects, movable in order, noise gates, cabs,....etc you get the picture.

"Oh, but it costs so much!"
Really? Really"REALLY????????
How much is a Freidman Hairy Amp??? Have you bothered to look? It might scare the normal Joe.

I consider the Axe cheap!!!!!!.

Sold my pedals on ebay that I paid from $5-200 for (made money on the deals!)

Sold the amps. Sold my Supro I got for 200 for 500. Sold my 65 Pro Reverb for 1650 (paid 250)

sold my 76 JMP for 900 (paid 600)

The list goes on but I'll stop there.

Did the Axe save you money? I'd be curious to hear from you!

2007 - Awesomeness

2008 - More awesomeness

2009 - Much more awesomeness

2010 - Even more awesomeness

2011 - Awesomeness ^ (to the power of) awesomeness

2012 - Awesomeness^awesomeness^awesomeness

2013 - Awesomeness^awesomeness^awesomeness^awesomeness

2014 Prediction: Awesomeness^googolplex = The level of awesomeness will open portals to parallel universes.

In January 2007 I read a review at HRI that I found too good to be true. There was very little information, and it was not possible to try that thing on Europe, so I decided to open a forum about the Axe-FX, in order to capture the attention of real users and know the truth.

Axe-FX :: Index

After few weeks of activity at the forum I could not doubt that it was a real thing, so I ordered the Axe-FX Standard through a friend that I made at that same forum (thank you Scarr :))

The forum had 1.515 registered users (including the blessed presence of The Creator himself) and 64.528 articles. I closed it when this official forum was created. Only the section "The Lounge" remains open, otherwise they will erase the forum for inactivity.

The rest is History :)

Last edited:
My story is somewhat different from the usual Axe owner. With two careers (Aerospace IT, Wheelchair Basketball) I never had the time to learn to play the guitar though it had always been a lifelong goal of mine. I had bought a Taylor acoustic in 95 and pretty much did the learning the same 3 or 4 chords and a couple songs thing every 6 months or so for the next 10 years. Pathetic!

I both ended my sports career and moved to a condo in late 2007. I decided then that I was going to chase that lifelong dream and wanted to do so in the electric realm. I had an original 65 Deluxe Reverb given to me in 66 from a neighbor who worked for Fender so I had it cleaned up. I purchased a Strat and plugged in and realized the Deluxe didn’t have a headphone jack. In addition, to get it to sound like I wanted I had to crank the little beast. Not good being a total beginner and living in a condo. Not good at all! :)

So in May of 2008 I was off to GC to pick up a kidney bean. The local GC did not have any in stock. Back home I got online to check out where I could find one and came across a couple of threads talking about this Axe FX Ultra box that was getting a lot of press. I did some research and read a lot of posts by the earlier adopters such as Enzo, Lars, Sean, Solo, Scott P etc. The only thing I could not justify (being a total newbie) was the $1,600 price increase over the Pod. I went to the Line 6 forum and asked what they thought about this Axe Fx thing. As you can imagine, I was torched and vilified. I knew right then that I had to be a part of the (R)evolution.

I called FAS that very day and this guy answers with this New England accent and asks how he can help me. I told him my story and he said he would be glad to take an order if I was interested. As we were hanging up I asked who I was speaking with and he says “my name is Cliff”. I remember saying something stupid like “oh God of the Axe himself”. We chuckled over that. He took my info and I was on the list!

So about an hour later I get a call and Cliff tells me there is an issue with my credit card info so I might have to wait a week or so as Danielle was on the road due to a family emergency and she was the one who handled such things. Now get this… I get a call 20 minutes later from Danielle asking how she can help out. I can hear she is in the car driving and told her the circumstance (turns out I had a limit of 1K on the card and the bank needed me to approve anything above it). I told her not to worry about it and to call me the following week when she returned from her emergency. I was called the very next day with my conformation number and estimate of late June or early July delivery. Are you kidding me? Who goes to those lengths during a very critical family emergency for a customer? My loyalty was forged right then and there.

I received my Axe in July and have never looked back! The best 2K I ever spent was on that Ultra. I was told by so many that I was a fool to spend so much on a modeler since I was so relatively new to playing guitar in the first place. As it turns out they couldn’t have been more wrong! I don’t think there is a better unit to learn on. I was able play at volume and learn all the other aspects of the entire signal chain along the way. I don’t think many of you can say you got your knowledge of and/or experience with all the amps and the numerous effects for fewer than 2K.

I always treated the FW upgrades much like the next chapter in my learning experience and I have loved taking this Journey with FAS and all the forum members who helped me along the way. I have made quite a few friends on this path and am so grateful for that fateful day in May 2008.

Thank you GC for being out of stock on the kidney beans!!!!!

Last edited:
I saw/heard Mark Day on YouTube in 2010 and I knew that the Axe-Fx wasn't just another modeler; ordered the Ultra the following day.

Spent about 2-3 months learning to tweak it and mix IRs. After that, I spent a good couple of years really digging into effects.

The v9 Ultra back then wasn't really any different than the II is now, except the sound quality wasn't quite as good for cleans and low-gain.

THis is a very interesting thread.

I've gotten my Axe about a year ago and I'm still only in playing mode. Sure, I made some patches here and there, but I'm more into getting patches posted here and tweaking them a bit.

I really wanted to have some time to get some hardcore tweakin' (I really want to understand the machine and absorb the knowledge posted here), but I can't seem to be able to get bored of practicing.

I mean, how do you guys do it? Have you already given up on practice and just explore the Axe (god knows I've felt tempted to do so)? Do you schedule some time just to go through it?

Curious minds want to know...

I really wanted to have some time to get some hardcore tweakin' (I really want to understand the machine and absorb the knowledge posted here), but I can't seem to be able to get bored of practicing.
I mean, how do you guys do it? Have you already given up on practice and just explore the Axe (god knows I've felt tempted to do so)? Do you schedule some time just to go through it?
Curious minds want to know...

If it makes you feel better, just imagine the life of a keyboard player. They've got x1000 parametres more than the Axe-FX. C'mon! Just tweak it! For the sake of curiosity! :)

Another different view, since I come from programming.
In the end of the 90s there was this soundcard, Scope, that amazed me.
Nothing but sharc processors. Well, from the view of a programmer sound is algorithms.
So: many processors can do good sound. Scope had 14. Good start.
And it turned out to be a very wise decision. Excellent effects, first class sythesisers, since v4.
Incredible routing possibilities, since v3.
Especially the flag ship synthsizers are programmed with absolute precision.
One hell of a programmer. Extremely elaborated algorithms.
Ok, these algorithms eat up processors like potato chips, the more elaborated they get, the more power needed, so another 14 etc...
Only for guitar players, like myself, hmm, ok, one of the amplifiers is really good, but: no cabs.
So I always, once in a while, had a look for a toolbox with a similar concept.
Scope is routing and building synths.
After upgrading from Scope to XITE in 09 I had another look for a guitar unit.
And found the Axe, looked at it, oh, the same sharc processors?
The same concept!
So I ordered the Ultra to see if it fits into a XITE studio.
It does: same level of excellence in programming. Routing no problem.
A dream team.
No, I didn't expect that.
The programmer there at fractal also is one hell of a programmer.

So last year I changed to add the Axe II. AES/EBU and USB. Fits even better.
And it opens up and enlightens my universe of sound: v7, v8, v9

The "soundcard" containing "all you've ever dreamt of" in "hi-fi quality" has turned into reality.
Ok, one last step is still open: 32/96000.
Well, for me it's good enough with 24/48000.
Hey, I just make a bit music to relax.
So my music maybe isn't that much, but the sound.

The sound is one hell of a sound, yes!

When I first read about the Axe-Fx on some forum, I felt it was just another modeler with a massive price tag and a 1980s rack interface. Did not want. I think it was around FW6 on Std/Ultra when I first saw Mark Day's videos and had to admit that it sounded pretty damn good. Ordered a Standard, compared it extensively to my tube amps (Diezel and Egnater), sold the tube amps and got an Atomic FR. Been GAS free ever since..that is until I bought a used Axe II.

I still think the hardware user interface is somewhat awful but after finding out about Axe-Edit I didn't mind it so much as you didn't have to touch it for anything but small tweaks. Now without it I have built like two full patches (so basically four channels with fx variations). When Axe-Edit becomes available again, I'll take time to make the rest of the sounds I need.

I had seen the Standard shortly after it came out and thought it would be a great multi effect unit for my rack, but I was a little afraid to buy it because I didn't know anything about the company. I kept thinking about it for months and then Fractal did a $999.00 blowout deal (if I recall right it was because they had a batch around that weren't ROHS compliant)..........and even at $999 I was scared to buy. Would the company still be around in a year? Would the unit hold its value? I didn't know anyone who owned one, so it was a total guess if it actually sounded good. Finally a friend and I convinced each other to take the plunge and we ordered two standards and got the $999 deal. Needless to say we were pleasantly surprised at how good the unit sounded and of course it improved quickly with FW updates. A year or so later the Ultra was announced and I upgraded from the Standard to the Ultra.........more FW updates and improvements followed.......and then the II came along......and blah blah blah you know the rest. Obviously our concern about the company not lasting or the units not holding their value was unfounded. lol

No clips for me but I do have a pic of the first standard i bought off ebay back in late 07. Sold it then a few months later I bought another one then put my self on the list for an Ultra and waited 9 months for that.

Picture0178-1_zps00824afe.jpg

I have been playing for 30+ yrs through Marshall's,Mesa boogie Amps and a bob Bradshaw Rack,dhp-55,se-70,Quadraverb, gcx switching and much more. played it for years,it broke my back I watched the video of axefx2 over and over. I'm 50 on the 29th I got the AxeFx2 FW6, Matrix gt1000fx and I still use 2x12,4x12 cabs it took a while and I'm still learning everyday how to program the axefx2 it is the best Amp & FX unit I have ever had FW9 is unreal or I should say so Real I have to say I will never use Anything else.
Thank you Cliff and all at FAS.
Gary Norris

Back
Top Bottom