The greatest digital guitar recording of all time?

Andy Eagle

Fractal Fanatic
This was done on an old DG1000 and UD stomp with a TC boost line driver pedal.

Anyone here tried to replicate these tones with the Axe 3?
I have come far closer than I ever could with the actual gear used (which I have owned) but never quite get the balance of sustain right without adding too much compression or gain neither of which are too high in the tone. Allans hands are a huge part and his all hammer-on legato technique is must if you try to get close.

Can you post a recording of what you currently have?
To me this sounds like a huge amount of compression into a cocked wah with a tiny bit of chorus. Maybe a JC120 amp?

I haven't recorded it but mine is based on the rig he used before the DG1000.
A mk1 recto orange vintage with a boost and a power soak . The UD stomp is an 8 voice modulation delay and there is no compressor or wha in the chain. It is a balance of natural compression, gain, mesa mk style mids and a clean boost.

I haven't recorded it but mine is based on the rig he used before the DG1000.
A mk1 recto orange vintage with a boost and a power soak . The UD stomp is an 8 voice modulation delay and there is no compressor or wha in the chain. It is a balance of natural compression, gain, mesa mk style mids and a clean boost.
A Recto is not a Mark series amp. Totally different preamp topology. A Recto preamp is very similar to a SLO100.

A Recto is not a Mark series amp. Totally different preamp topology. A Recto preamp is very similar to a SLO100.
I know but he used a Mk3 before and tried to replicate the effect of the increased gain that came with the mid control in the Mk series. The tone stack is in a different location in the recto . Trying to pin down AH tone with the equipment he used is very difficult but if you use a different approach you come up against problems.

Sadly, I believe that no amount of gear obsession will ever get anyone close to Mr. Holdsworth’s truly unique tone..unless you are Dr. Frankenstein and know where the body is. (Happy Halloween)

my favourite tones are from the early 90's. the DeLap years. i've been trying to get close ever since i had an Ultra. i did try the recto orange, but i think allan was only using those amps for the power sections. i don't believe he liked mesa preamps at all. i'm currently using the triaxis yellow lead channel with "fat" engaged into two recto cab ir's with multidelay settings based on the ud stomp. there is one secret ingredient that was passed on to me by a close friend of allan's and that is after the amp, place a peq and make -5db cut at 5k with a q of 0.5 and another -2db cut at 10k with a q of 0.5.

Last edited:
yes, thinking back now, you're right. i think it was just for the Secrets album. i just tried recto1 orange normal again and it definitely has a nice sponginess about it that i like. i think it may be to do with the cathode compression and harmonics on the dynamics page being set quite high by default and also the preamp bias. i nudged up those parameters in my lead yellow patch and liked the result. i think to make the dual recto orange work, you need to reduce the low frequency resonance on the speaker page and cut some bottom end as it's too much. the tc line driver has a low cut on it, which i believe allan used and i copy that with a peq cutting around 120hz in front of the amp with a few db of level gain added

Back
Top Bottom