The greatest digital guitar recording of all time?

Wow. Hadn't listened to this in ages. Good stuff! Where he goes to the bridge pickup soloing, to me that tone sounds a lot like a Dumble style amp. Not too much gain, but a lot of sustain and vocal mids. Maybe try the Bludo lead?

To be quite honest with you I think they all can have the ability, especially the classic set you have (and Townsend set is incredible )

however, i bought the SRC set because (1) it is the modern with ceramic, slightly higher output and slightly EQ more for metal and (2) i installed the gain 1 and 2 classic toggle switch so i get that extra 6db and treble boost whenever i need slight bite....with that said, I think the fluence, from what I’ve heard, are all SLIGHTLY similar

I’m a big fan too man, actually, i gotta say, i was almost exclusively Dimarzio or EMG, but now I’m totally hooked on Fluence

Not a huge fan of ceramic pickups but in higher output models they are good. These days you don't really need pickups that push the front end so much as there are so many way to get gain. I tend to find high output pickups a one trick pony.

oh and to answer the original question. yes, i think it just might be (only if you don't count the live album and dvd with haslip, wackerman and pasqua, which came out after). i was actually trying to think of other albums that use all digital guitar sounds and of course there are tons (now), but 16 Men was recorded in 2000....nearly 20 years ago! so if it's not the greatest, then it's certainly one of the first. i can't think of anybody else who was recording with the Yamaha DG amps around that time....i'd certainly be interested to find out...

I'm bias because I think it is one of the greatest guitar albums of all time and matchless in terms of the playing. Allan truly was from planet Zog.
Check out this guy's Allan videos .

The only analysis that really shows the thinking I've ever come across.

Not a huge fan of ceramic pickups but in higher output models they are good. These days you don't really need pickups that push the front end so much as there are so many way to get gain. I tend to find high output pickups a one trick pony.
Fluence arent super high output, they are active however. People often confuse them with EMG active, but they arent that hot. Just wanted to be clear, when in active mode, they are actually low output, fluence are only “loud” in passive voicing oddly enough
if anyone cares lol

and yes Holdsworth is one of a kind, never before, and never after have we seen anything like him

Anybody who doesn’t have a set of fluence are missing out on the state of the art of noiseless, great sounding pups.
Honestly man, Ive seen it another forum but they are the biggest innovation since Les paul made the first metal wound magnet pickups.....the technology behind the Fluence core is unparallelled in the pickup world. They are the most responsive and clearest, silent pickups ever made, and on top of that, they have nearly endless tonal spectrum possibilities. They are also very configurable(depending on which set you buy), but you can have hi/low gain, high frequency roll back, pickup splitting, coil tapping, etc...but i mean they are just the best pickups there are....and they make them perfect to pair with a modeler (e.g. Axe 3)

I would say, anyone who ever needs a new guitar or pickup upgrade, and owns an axe 3, owes it to themself to find a pair of fluence thats right for them (there are like a dozen different sets).

im Glad you like them too brad

Anybody who doesn’t have a set of fluence are missing out on the state of the art of noiseless, great sounding pups.
They're not noiseless. When you use them in split mode they still pick up some noise, though not as much as a regular single coil. They are still amazing pickups though,

Back
Top Bottom