The Gosh Darn Fractal Amp Models......

How does a "modeler" turn someone into a "straight into the amp" guy?? It's like the
quality of the models are SO good that I get stuck just enjoying the amps. Kind of
like when the cake is so moist and flavourful (and not dried out!) you kind of find
out that maybe you don't need all of that icing.

When you get around to it,The new reverb patches are excellent since the update was released, no need for a big sky or H9 anymore just thrilled with latest beta....

It's so weird that when you are instantly put in your happy place tonewise you
just stay there and feel no need to move. :)

I can't wait to get around to exploring more. This is one serious piece of kit!!! :)

When you get around to it,The new reverb patches are excellent since the update was released, no need for a big sky or H9 anymore just thrilled with latest beta....
Opera house has some cloud vibes even though there’s already cloud algorithms and the coliseum is bae

I'm with you on how great the amps now sound, and being an effects junkie, (just not on SW's guitar tones, haha), but for me (in the AF3...similar enough for my comment to yours), having a great amp tone, but then turning on a couple of bypassed effects in a preset, just makes something that sounds great, sound even better! I love having it all!

Most of my presets have very few effects and only used "authentic" parameters on the amp models.
I get skeptical when I download a preset and see PEQs and GEQs and complex routing and five types of modulation and delay and deep parameters edited on the amp block. Usually the guitar's unique character and tone gets lost in all that mush.

I agree. I have found myself becoming very slow to add any Effects. And instead, I just enjoy the amp models by themselves. I have also been playing with more IR's and running them all in UltraRes.
However, I do love the deep amp parameters -- no insult to the stock amp model. I just love modding an amp to be closer and closer to the sound that I imagine and want. And, the more I experiment with and learn about the amp parameters, the more successful my efforts have become and the quicker I can get there.
I have actually been keeping track of, and saving, some of the PEQ's I run across. PEQ's have a low CPU usage. And, I intend to use them the same way many pedals are used in a stack -- simply for the tone contour that they can add. And -- for even more economic CPU use -- I might copy a PEQ curve I like with the Input EQ of the Amp Block.
But, I have to say. There is nothing wrong with the straight stock amp models. I keep finding amp model after amp model that I really like. In fact, I am often surprised by the amps I have taken a liking to lately.

Heck yes to PEQs!! I am running one in front of my Amp Block on my main preset with a couple
different Marshalls in different Scenes. Very subtly...... but it does something just right to my ears. :)

When you do get around to adding effects and you're running a stereo rig add that expander block in. Creates such a killer stereo image.

How does a "modeler" turn someone into a "straight into the amp" guy?? It's like the
quality of the models are SO good that I get stuck just enjoying the amps. Kind of
like when the cake is so moist and flavourful (and not dried out!) you kind of find
out that maybe you don't need all of that icing.
I definitely hear what you're saying. The Cygnus overhaul of the amp models, along with all of the default parameter settings, gives the best starting point of any unit I've ever played. Really super impressed at how easy it is to get tones that both feel and sound great with much less effort. Really stoked. :)

One specific example - the new Friedman (H)BE v1/2 patch. Holy cow, that HBE V1 Fat scene! I've just been using that one as is so far. I'm sure I'll start playing around with settings at some point but I just have so much fun playing it right now that....well.....maybe I'll get around to messing with it at some point.....maybe....LOL!

EDIT: I also realize that the guitar has a lot to do with the equation of "what works", so for reference, I'm using a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas (MiM) with Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis pickups (1n in neck, 2b in bridge), and a bunch of brass, titanium, and stainless screw upgrades from FU-Tone. Bolt-on Floyd Rose superstrat heaven. :)

I haven't been this happy with the tone and feel of a unit since the old Johnson stuff in the late 90's (they got bought out by Digitech and were eventually dissolved). Had a J-Station and a Millenium 2x12 combo.

Last edited:
I definitely hear what you're saying. The Cygnus overhaul of the amp models, along with all of the default parameter settings, gives the best starting point of any unit I've ever played. Really super impressed at how easy it is to get tones that both feel and sound great with much less effort. Really stoked. :)

One specific example - the new Friedman (H)BE v1/2 patch. Holy cow, that HBE V1 Fat scene! I've just been using that one as is so far. I'm sure I'll start playing around with settings at some point but I just have so much fun playing it right now that....well.....maybe I'll get around to messing with it at some point.....maybe....LOL!

EDIT: I also realize that the guitar has a lot to do with the equation of "what works", so for reference, I'm using a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas (MiM) with Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis pickups (1n in neck, 2b in bridge), and a bunch of brass, titanium, and stainless screw upgrades from FU-Tone. Bolt-on Floyd Rose superstrat heaven. :)

I haven't been this happy with the tone and feel of a unit since the old Johnson stuff in the late 90's (they got bought out by Digitech and were eventually dissolved). Had a J-Station and a Millenium 2x12 combo.
John Johnson founded digitech and Johnson amplification. Harmon bought out digitech and eventually killed off the multi effects side of the business. They still manufacturer pedals under both DOD and Digitech trademarks. Johnson Amplification has been gone since 2002.

I landed on that one yesterday and spent several hours with it with the TS drive on. Really good with my McNaught singlecut.

John Johnson founded digitech and Johnson amplification. Harmon bought out digitech and eventually killed off the multi effects side of the business. They still manufacturer pedals under both DOD and Digitech trademarks. Johnson Amplification has been gone since 2002.
That’s a nice piece of info. I knew they were bought by Harman. A friend bought a digitech “The Drop” and needed some help and went to the digitech website and was shocked to see how their product line was reduced. In the 80’s they were pretty dominant and the Johnson amps was a modeler that actually sounded good. Adrian Belew used a pair of them for awhile.

I've been an effects junkie since I started playing over 30 years ago. Am I suddenly cured??? :)
Oh oh you're on the slippery slope now .... first it's lose the effects and savour the pure amp tone, then before you know it you'll be wearing a hat indoors and only 30 year or older nitrocellulose coated guitar bodies and vintage tuning pegs will be good enough ;)

Heck yes to PEQs!! I am running one in front of my Amp Block
Try replicating that with the Input EQ inside your amp block and you can save some CPU real estate! Cliff even shared how to replicate the Friedman C45 mod using the input EQ on ANY amp. The possibilities are truly endless in the Fractal-verse.

Back
Top Bottom