The future?

€3000 for an amp with spyware basically? If I actually wanted an amp I'll get something else that doesn't spy on me instead. It's bad enough that my phone does it, but I need a phone. Can't say the same thing about Diezel amps.

I can totally understand manufacturers of amps who get tired of people who "buy" an amp, then profile it at home using a Kemper or Mooer, and return it to the shop. It's a real thing, several manufacturers complain about it. That's the only thing the Diesel does: monitor and report. I see no reason at all to call this spyware, especially as there's no personal data involved.

€3411 to be exact.

Very expensive spyware then. Apple would be proud.

I can totally understand manufacturers of amps who get tired of people who "buy" an amp, then profile it at home using a Kemper or Mooer, and return it to the shop. It's a real thing, several manufacturers complain about it. That's the only thing the Diesel does: monitor and report. I see no reason at all to call this spyware, especially as there's no personal data involved.

I still think tough luck on these companies. Assholes will always abuse a system, no matter the system. I don't see why everyone should be made to suffer. (dons tinfoil hat) I don't want my devices to monitor and report on me. It worries me that devices that I really need spy on me already? Now amps too? If you had told George Orwell when he wrote his novel that people would willingly carry devices with them that spied on them, kept track of their personal habits and would go online to tell the whole world what they would do for every waking second he would never EVER have believed you. And there is no way that it will stop with this. Businesses have become spy happy and want to track our every waking moment, and maybe sleeping moments as well, for even more direct marketing. Laugh at me for all you want, and I hope I am wrong, but this will be just the first step.

This thread went great elsewhere :) Not sure what could really be done if the amp is returned within the return window. Profiled or not. Unless they make that a caveat to the return policy.

Reactions: ESW
It would be a simple matter to equip an amp with a feature that detects a Kemper test signal and blocks an attempt at profiling. This might be a trial balloon before introducing such a feature.

It would be a simple matter to equip an amp with a feature that detects a Kemper test signal and blocks an attempt at profiling. This might be a trial balloon before introducing such a feature.
Honestly, if you're going to do it; you might as well just do it right. Profiling detection seems like the lame way to go about it. Just block profiling altogether instead of baking in tattletale tech and being passive-aggressive about it.

Sure, but I don’t think they’re being passive aggressive. I think they’re simply doing some kind of feasibility test as the first step in implementing a profiling lockout feature.

Reactions: JTI
Sure, but I don’t think they’re being passive aggressive. I think they’re simply doing some kind of feasibility test as the first step in implementing a profiling lockout feature.
Do you think they're just using this feasibility test is to judge the public outcry that will inevitably happen? I'll die before owning a $4k amp. So it's a non-issue for me.

Honestly, if you're going to do it; you might as well just do it right. Profiling detection seems like the lame way to go about it. Just block profiling altogether instead of baking in tattletale tech and being passive-aggressive about it.
My thoughts exactly.

Anyone who considers this to be "suffering" has a pretty good life.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTI
Do you think they're just using this feasibility test is to judge the public outcry that will inevitably happen?

I believe so, yes. It’s interesting that they are making sure everyone knows about the existence of the feature. They want to know if there will be pushback. But I think they are also making an effort to learn if buy/profile/return is a big enough problem that they need to take measures to prevent it.

Do you think they're just using this feasibility test is to judge the public outcry that will inevitably happen? I'll die before owning a $4k amp. So it's a non-issue for me.

At that kind of money the Axe-FX is by far the better investment. At 4K I want at least hundreds of amps and effects at my disposal, not just one. Someone DIY savvy will find a way to crack this system, and if no one does, no big loss. Hell, such a company should be shunned for restricting consumer rights this much. It's akin to DMCR protection that prevents people from making digital copies for their own use of music or movies they have bought. A serious infringement of fair use.

Hell, such a company should be shunned for restricting consumer rights this much. It's akin to DMCR protection that prevents people from making digital copies for their own use of music or movies they have bought. A serious infringement of fair use.

What infringement are you accusing them of?

Did the manufacturer say this is actually the reason for the detection?

Just curious.

I think, with this first step, they only want to assess how big of a problem profiling and subsequent returning actually is.
People that would not have bought the amplifier anyways will never be a customer of the company and those, who want to buy the actual amps probably still will.
The discussion is probably a little overheated in the light of current data protection/spying/gathering/... issues everywhere.

Just my two cents.

I think having any/many social media apps on your phone is a much bigger deal by about a million times, compared to worrying about this type of feature on an amp.

What infringement are you accusing them of?

If they were to prevent you from profiling your own amp, that would be a serious infringement. Wouldn't it?

I think having any/many social media apps on your phone is a much bigger deal by about a million times, compared to worrying about this type of feature on an amp.

100% true. But then again in this day and age its hard to make do without your phone and many of those apps. And mobile phones didn't start out that way. As the technology got more advanced so did the apps. And since there's no such thing as a free lunch the apps starting spying on you. And so will this feature. After all, now they say we have no plans. Well, Google once used to have the motto DON"T BE EVIL. And now they're spying on everyone, censoring those they deem undesirable and are engaging in more election meddling then the socalled Russians. Once a feature is in and gets accepted by the public, more will always follow, never less. And companies always want to know more about us, never less.

I need my phone in order to function in life. I don't need an amp with features like this. So hard pass on Diezel and any amp company that follows. Which includes Fractal if they were to do so.

Back
Top Bottom