The first faulty Axe-Fx III?

Alexis

Inspired
I'm experiencing a very strange behavior with my brand new Axe Fx III

There's even when only an In and Out Block without any Amp assigned a note that appears under the played one. It's not harmonic and it is absolutely out of tune to the played note. You can listen to it in the mp3, I do have it as a video too. I tried different guitars and even a couple of the same amps and non of it is making this artifact that the Axe Fx is making. Normally I know this behavior from cheaper modelling amps but not that massively. It's getting worse with distorted tones, it really resonates and flutters the string.
On the lower register you barely hear it but as soon as you go up the 12th fret it's really noticeable.
Can other Axe III users please check this? Maybe it's only my unit or it's a firmware problem?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thbsrpkql9jl3xl/axe fx 3 problem.mp3?dl=0

(Beside that my display has an error where it gets to less power and the first lines stay gray pixels and the screen was scratched.
On top of the unit one screw is messed up an lost color)

Just as information, a new replacement unit is already on the way so I hope that one works fine and the problems aren't there anymore.

I will take some pictures of the broken screen tomorrow.

What do you guys think about this ghostnote?

I'll install the new firmware tomorrow maybe it helps.
what does the fractal team say to this? quite strange that not a single person reacts to this AND I can't even see this thread in my "watched threads" list even if I tried to unwatch and watch it again.

No conspiracy theory. You’re subscribed to the thread. It’s Sunday evening in the USA. The EU is asleep. What do you expect people to be doing? They’re living their lives.

If you think you have a broken unit contact support: https://support.fractalaudio.com
His first post was Aug. 27th. I'm sure plenty of people were awake on both continents during that time period.To the OP, I would guess no one has had the same issue as you so no replies. Contacting support, which I would assume would be G66 in the EU. Great support whether it goes through Fractal or G66.

Ghost notes are fairly common on many real world amps, thus you can get thing like ghost notes, intermodulaion etc in the Axe too since the modeling is so accurate

You say the note is out of tune? Even with no other blocks?

Do you have anything else connected? I seem to recall this can happen if you are connected to a recording interface and not at 48khz.

Alexis, I tried to load and listen to your sound file. It wouldn’t load. Maybe the problem with Dropbox is on my side.

Iqdsnddist is correct. My old Fenders get cone-cry and all sorts of strange frequencies in the background. If I could hear your sample file, I could maybe provide some help with what you’re hearing.

Definitely contact customer support directly. They do a great job. Again, please reissue a link for the soundfile asap. Thanks.

Hi Alexis,
It seems this may not be the case, but just mentioning it - Make sure there's no pitch block in the preset.
Thanks
Pauly

Jeez. Contact support FIRST. It sounds to me like there's a shipping damage issue (regarding the screen), but the post is a bit rambling.

Then:
-Reset system params.
-Post the preset if you actually have one. (!)
-Is it happening on factory presets?

We're here to help, but as has been said many times...THE FORUM IS NOT SUPPORT.

Help us help you.

R

Reactions: Ole
I will take some pictures of the broken screen tomorrow.

What do you guys think about this ghostnote?

I'll install the new firmware tomorrow maybe it helps.
what does the fractal team say to this? quite strange that not a single person reacts to this AND I can't even see this thread in my "watched threads" list even if I tried to unwatch and watch it again.

I listened to the mp3. It sounds kind of like a dead string or fret buzz possibly?

Glad they have you a replacement on the way. The III is a lot of fun :)

To point this out, I've tested it with multiple Guitars and cables, with headphones, in ears, frfr and poweramp and cab. I do use fractal units since the Axe Fx I Standard and had all of the other units. So I know how to operate and I can exclude any user errors.

As I have written above, the Axe is even doing this without ANY Amp or Cab Block. Just an IN and OUT. Appears on ALL preset either factory or users

I was on UK tour for the last 10 days and the new shipping for G66 hasn't arrived but it should be there within this week. So I'm still having the faulty III here and after those 10 days it still has the same problem.
The support from G66 is good as always.

If the III was around back then, think of all the money many of us would have saved! LOL!
Yes, that for sure but my situation would still be the same. Just imagine: You buy the most expensive car on the planet, it arrives at your place and it doesn't work properly. How would you feel? The Axe Fx III is by now the most expensive guitar modelling device on the market. I had the Ultra fail on me because the cheap fan broke, I had the II where an eprom died(if a remeber right, need to check the mail from g66) and I had the II XL and the powersupply died. So the only unit that worked properly was the standard. And after all of this I'm still interested in the Fractal Stuff even if my Line6 Helix is now running properly since a couple of years so please don't start any discussion about this.

Last edited:
I had the Ultra fail on me because the cheap fan broke, I had the II where an eprom died(if a remeber right, need to check the mail from g66) and I had the II XL and the powersupply died.

That is some serious bad luck. I hope the replacement III is delivered without issues and serves you well. It's an incredible machine and being as how you are familiar with the previous models I have no doubt you will concur.

Good Luck!

That is some serious bad luck. I hope the replacement III is delivered without issues and serves you well. It's an incredible machine and being as how you are familiar with the previous models I have no doubt you will concur.

Good Luck!
thanks man, I really hope so. Just got the info from G66 that my new unit should arrive on thursday! Can't wait!

And after all of this I'm still interested in the Fractal Stuff even if my Line6 Helix is now running properly since a couple of years so please don't start any discussion about this.
I have had my Helix LT go out on me during 2 shows. No sound at all. The next day it worked perfectly fine with no problem for months. I don't think it is an issue of build quality. It is just pure bad luck.

Back
Top Bottom