The first ever Extension Module for MFC-101 !

Roadrunner

Power User
The first ever Expansion Module for MFC-101 !

Hi everybody
First, allow me to start with the BIG news:

Please give a big round of applause for the all new and first ever build

Expansion Module For The MFC-101!

20121127_163449.jpg

Yap, that’s right, this is the result of a lot of time, thinking and money I've decided to personally invest to create the best solution I can.
A short background: One of the things bumped in my head when I first got the MFC-101 was how I can make more use of it to fit that mighty Axe FX II multi-function.
Sure, the MFC has a lot of switches and can be fully program etc., but I needed some more control and from talking to other Axe/MFC users I understood I'm not alone.
But unfortunately as we all know, there isn’t any really good, solid, nice looking, fit to the board, reliable etc. extension to be connected to the MFC.
So……I gave it some thoughts and decided to design and build one on my own.
Took some time, effort and way too much money (the enclosure design was eventually VERY expensive) but eventually it paid off as I managed to manufacture the first EVER extension for the MFC.
So, I'm very proud to introduce you guys with my new baby, a 4 button Expansion for the MFC-101.

As you can see in the pic, it looks natural, like it was always there.
The Expansion is made of high quality and robust all metal chasis, painted with special paint to give it the same look as the MFC (the first batch came out a little darker, will be better next batch).
Just think of how many options suddenly opened for these 4 extra switches.
And if this 4 are not enough, well…..way not take another Expansion and connect it to the PEDAL inputs (1 switch per input) and there you go, you now have 8 !!! Eight extra switches that can be configured via the AXE.
Cool, ha ?
Add another unit and you will have control of channel switching of you got an amp in your setup (4CM or Axe is used as FX only etc.)

A little about me: my name is Ariel, being playing guitar for over 24 years.
I love to mess around with everything related to guitars and specially FX, pedal boards and other related gear, I keep it as a hobby since I'm not making leaving of music (got a daily job).
During the years I build many rigs mostly I was designing minibar sized racks and specially I love to design, build and customize pedal boards.
Ok, enough chatting….
You're more than welcome to ask here any question you might have, for the benefit of everybody.
If you're interested to purchase, please contact me: ext4mfc@gmail.com

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yap!
Im shipping worldwide.
Currently Paypal payment only.
Please contact via e-mail for further info.
Thanks.

Ariel,
This looks very very nice.
I have a question:
How does the extension module physically connect to the MFC? Is it a permanent bolt on arrangement or is it some sort of clip assembly? Or in fact does it only sit next to the MFC and therefore rely on the pedal board to keep the 2 parts together.

Thanks and great job.

Confused as to how it connects to the MFC (to operate, not physically as inquired about above)- how many expression/switch connections will it eat up?

Very cool. Can you provide info on what the buttons can be used for and how it interfaces to the MFC (or if it does directly)? Thanks.

edit: Nevermind ... I think it connects to the external 1/4" jacks.... no morning coffee yet ;)

Great news for folks that have the MFC... maybe my eyes are failing me but the unit doesn't seem to line up properly and it also seems to have a lower profile that the MFC. As it is, the buttons are a smidge lower than the MFC buttons and if you were to align the curves of the MFC it looks like it would make the buttons even lower than the MFC's buttons. Either way, great news and looking forward to a video demo.

I have a question:
How does the extension module physically connect to the MFC? Is it a permanent bolt on arrangement or is it some sort of clip assembly? Or in fact does it only sit next to the MFC and therefore rely on the pedal board to keep the 2 parts together.

It is a an independent unit which in my case is sitting next to the MFC tight as all is sitting inside a thick foam ive cut in the shape of the pedals.
Another option is to use Velcro under the unit and also between the MFC and the extension (cheek to cheek) if you use a flat surface as pedalboard – ive tested it amd it turned out VERY solid.
Another way is simply connect them to each other by bolts but that will require drilling 2 holes in the MFC and the EXT (extension).

Confused as to how it connects to the MFC (to operate, not physically as inquired about above)- how many expression/switch connections will it eat up?

Very cool. Can you provide info on what the buttons can be used for and how it interfaces to the MFC (or if it does directly)? Thanks.

It use the 2 x switches input of the MFC (switch 1+2, 3+4) which you can configure to do ANYTHING via the MFC.
Simply use 2 short stereo PL cables (same as with the Missioning pedals) and your good to go.

Great news for folks that have the MFC... maybe my eyes are failing me but the unit doesn't seem to line up properly and it also seems to have a lower profile that the MFC. As it is, the buttons are a smidge lower than the MFC buttons and if you were to align the curves of the MFC it looks like it would make the buttons even lower than the MFC's buttons. Either way, great news and looking forward to a video demo.

The curves are 97% as the MFC, it was VERY hard to do it 100% (actually was a nightmare all the test I done to have it perfect) and as for first batch it turned out very good, basically when you're standing you cannot see if the curves align or not (looks ok), only if you give a very close look.
The 4 switches are 100% aligned and height, more ever the height of the switches can be adjust to your need, if you want it, it can be higher, lower or same height as the MFC switches.
BTW – it can be used not only for the MFC-101 but also as channel switching for any amp! Imagine that – you use one EXT for the AXE and the 2nd for the amp head / combo channel switching - cool :)

Nice job man! Kudos on the entrepreneurial spirit and having the balls to actually do something!

Looks Great !
I think that was a Lot of work...
Good Job Man !

Thank you both for the kind words.
It did take a lot of time and effort, its amazing how much work into a simple idea, not to mention the cost, I didn’t thought it could be that expensive to do it the first time.

As for all the guys contact me via e-mail, as explained I currently have only few units as I could not produce to many (no money left) and I will be producing another batch if I'll have a enough interst to justify another batch.

Thank you all for the interest.
I'm currently working (my wife actually) on a small website which will include many high res pics and few vids demonstrating the connections, programing and using of the EXT4MFC.

Fill free to contact me for further,
Thanks.

few more pics:

20121127_213343.jpg

20121127_213628.jpg

20121127_214109.jpg

Thank you all, much appreciate it. :p
I had a short rehearsal yesterday with my band, first time I'm using the EXT in a band situation, it was soooo sweet, it's really fun heaving an extra 4 switches.
I defined the EXT to VOL incr, VOL decr, AMP x/y and Tuner, that has opened me 4 MFC switches for FX on/off.

A guitarist who bought one EXT from me use it for scene select, he mentioned it worked very good for him.
I guess it can be dialed to so many options dew to the flexibility of the MFC and Axe.
Thanks.

Why just four switches? If you're going to "go in for a penny, go in for a pound"!

Have a look at the Axess Electronics system (no longer in production) in pictures about half way down the page at the following link:

HRI

An expansion box with a dozen switches (or 15, or 18, or 21!) Mmmmm!

Off topic, but just FYI here's another controller that's supposed to be shipping now... for two THOUSAND dollars, intro special $1,700.

Mastermind GT MIDI Foot Controller by RJM Music

Foot control AND effects lighting in one box! Until those displays start to fail.

Why just four switches? If you're going to "go in for a penny, go in for a pound"!

Have a look at the Axess Electronics system (no longer in production) in pictures about half way down the page at the following link:

HRI

An expansion box with a dozen switches (or 15, or 18, or 21!) Mmmmm!

Off topic, but just FYI here's another controller that's supposed to be shipping now... for two THOUSAND dollars, intro special $1,700.

Mastermind GT MIDI Foot Controller by RJM Music

Foot control AND effects lighting in one box! Until those displays start to fail.

Because it's a simple interface to the four external switch inputs on the back of the MFC101. I believe you could use the four expression pedals inputs as switch inputs too, for a total of eight switches - mix & match.

This is great - Looks like no LEDs so no battery / power required - is that correct? I've been looking for a 4 button footswitch (or 2 2's) with no battery needed - yours is great.

Back
Top Bottom