The first ever Extension Module for MFC-101 !

Why just four switches? If you're going to "go in for a penny, go in for a pound"!

Have a look at the Axess Electronics system (no longer in production) in pictures about half way down the page at the following link:

HRI

An expansion box with a dozen switches (or 15, or 18, or 21!) Mmmmm!

Off topic, but just FYI here's another controller that's supposed to be shipping now... for two THOUSAND dollars, intro special $1,700.

Mastermind GT MIDI Foot Controller by RJM Music

Foot control AND effects lighting in one box! Until those displays start to fail.

Because it's a simple interface to the four external switch inputs on the back of the MFC101. I believe you could use the four expression pedals inputs as switch inputs too, for a total of eight switches - mix & match.

Exactly!
My EXT is designed so you can use one expansion unit with the 2 external switch input (each one is double) and if it isn't enough you can add another EXT to be connected to the PEDAL inputs (one switch per input, need a small mode for that with a resistor) giving you a total of 8! Extra switches. Way more than enough IMO.

This is great - Looks like no LEDs so no battery / power required - is that correct? I've been looking for a 4 button footswitch (or 2 2's) with no battery needed - yours is great.

Yap, that’s correct, no LED so no battery so no hassle.

I would like to take opportunity and explain my idea about it and the reason for no LED as I got many e-mails from people asking about the LED.
As a basic idea I do plan to add LED's in the future and currently working on that but it is not that simple as the LED in my case is triggered by the status of the switch and not by the status of the block in the software (as it happens in the MFC).
Also the switches I'm using are MOMENTERY and not ON / OFF so if there was LED, it would have turned ON only while the switch is being pressed. As soon as you lift your foot it turns back OFF.
If I would use ON/OFF than the LED would have stay (either ON or OFF) after going to a different preset even if the block its controlling is OFF in the software, so….. not good
I decided to use momentary switches as it is simply better for the MFC in terms of functionality, software wise…etc….a momentary can be defined in the MFC to either momentary OR latch, but latch cannot be defined to momentary…

Adding the LED's It's not that simple, it will require more work here on my side and it will for sure make the expansion much more expensive AND complicated and I like to keep things simple and robust!.
So, currently the units are without LED and I really cannot estimate now how much time will it take to do that.

As an idea: there are plenty of functions that do not require LED status at all, for example: I use the unit to control VOL incrs, VOL decrs, AMP X/Y, BOOST.
I have this guy who purchased a unit and he is using it for SCENE select (2 switches = 4 scenes), TUNER and TAP.
There are many other things that can be controlled from the EXT, the idea is to free the MFC switches with the LED for controlling blocks that do require LED status and IMHO it does it pretty cool. :)

You should do this for the GC Pro, you'd probably sell tons...

Yes, actually it did cross my mind as I had the GCP for many years prior to switching to the MFC.
Thing is that it has only 2 expression pedal inputs which can be used for switches but only 2 and not 4 meaning we have an extension with only 2 switches, looks empty…

Just a quick update about my EXT4MFC unit:
The first run (which was only few pedals) is now out of stock and some lessons where taken.
I started today the production of the 2nd run of the housing which will be named EXT4MFC MK-II.
There are few minor changes, 90% cosmetics and housing.
Unfortunately I'm not a loaded guy so also this run is going to be limited to few pedals.

Ill update here as soon as it will be ready.
Thanks.

No, actualy I'm not.
I don’t remember the exact brand of what I use, the guidance for me was to find a switch that will be the same size, look and fill as the MFC ones so the fill for the guitarist will be the same.
I've tested maybe 15 different switches until I found something that actually give the same fill and look (and trust me you do fill the difference when it's not THE SAME) and will be technically rugged enough.
Thanks.

Hi all.
Just thought I might update here as well.
I just finished assembling and wiring a new stock of expansion modules for the MFC101 and its ready to rock!
Again, due to the production costs of the housing I could not afford many so unfortunately I'm limited with this babies.
Anyway, I improved the housing a little based on the last experience and I must say the housing now looks even better!
I redesigned the upper surface so now it aligns perfectly with the MFC curves, also new printing on the front for the switches input number etc. and many other small things.
Ill post few pics here later on today.
If there is an interest, please contact me vie e-mail (in my signature).
Thanks guys.

Few pics:

20130316_125706_zpscbabff4d.jpg

20130316_123553_zps9ba0cc26.jpg

20130316_123545_zps26d9dedf.jpg

20130316_123236_zps75a87d05.jpg

Got mine set up and running, very satisfied. Great build quality, and near perfect fit with the MFC.

I set it up for VOL INCR/DECR and SCENE UP/DOWN – perfect for my use. Strangely, the switches on my unit are from top to bottom XS4, XS3, XS1, XS2 – Roadrunner provided great advice for fixes on this matter - including rewiring of the unit for a hardware fix. I'm lazy, so I went for the software-option - and just configured them in the correct sequence in the MIDI-menu in the MFC. Works like a charm.

Great work, Roadrunner - I can recommend this unit!

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Back
Top Bottom