The Ferrari of Axe-Fx editors: iPad w/ Lemur

I don't get it, Greg. I downloaded the editor or installer from the site you posted. It opens up on the computer. It sees my iPad.

I went to Scrutinizer's link and downloaded what I thought was the template. All that opens up is the original installer/ editor. I have Lemur open on my iPad, the app that I bought for $50.00. I do not see the actual Axe template.

I did not see something that would allow a file to be open in iTunes. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know how, but I did it. Now, I just have to go back through this page and figure out how to use this new virtual contraption!

The Axe Template is open on my ipad, and everything physically moves. What are the proper steps to make it wirelessly control the Axe FX? I do have WiFi connectivity. Is the Axe to be connected to the computer via USB?

Step by step instructions would be most appreciated! Thank you.

Keep posting. Total enlightenment is found by asking unanswered questions in the Other MIDI Controllers forum. You're almost there!!!

Just kidding. I'm in a weird mood. AxeFx USB connection to your computer. Set up Lemur Daemon on your computer to route the Lemur App's midi into your AxeFx Midi In/Out. Seriously though, you're asking all the logical questions right before you answer them for yourself, LOL!

First, back up your AxeFX presets and settings!

Download and unzip the the latest Axe for Lemur template
Install Lemur app on iPad
Install Lemur editor and Lemur daemon on PC or Mac
Install AxeFXII driver on PC or Mac
Computer and iPad need to be on same wifi network
On the AxeFXII front panel: I/O -> MIDI -> Send Realtime Sysex = ALL
On the AxeFXII front panel: I/O -> MIDI -> USB Adapter Mode = ON
Connect AxeFXII to computer via USB

Launch Lemur on your iPad
On the computer, launch the Lemur Daemon, then launch the Lemur Editor (daemon must start first)
Open the template jzml file in the editor
Click the "Lemur Connection" button in the Lemur Editor, then select your iPad in the dialog that appears
This sends the template to the iPad, but does not save it in the iPad
To save, tap the gear icon in upper right corner, tap "Save Project..."

Once it is saved on the iPad, you can quit the Lemur Editor. The Lemur Editor does not need to be running to use the template.

To configure the Lemur app midi i/o:
Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner
Select "More Settings"
Under MIDI Targets, tap "Add target"
Select the AxeFXII, by selecting it in the drop down menus. This is the confusing part because the AxeFXII does not show up in these menus as "AxeFX II". With the AxeFXII connected to my MacBook, it is listed as "MIDI Out" and "MIDI In".

Now you should be able to use the template.
The tap tempo button in the template should be flashing, tap this and see if you can change tempo on the AxeFX
Tap-hold the buttons on the bottom of the screen to reload params for just the blocks on screen
Use the Auto-Refresh feature for the best experience (or turn it off if you don't like auto-refresh)

That should get you started.

Hi Folks, absolutely love Lemur for the Axe, thanks to all who made it possible. I am struggling with the screen refresh on the amp page a bit. Would it be possible to refresh the amp page every time you change from Amp 1 to Amp 2 and from X to Y?

Now that we have the wonderful scenes, I have been setting up my patches with two amp blocks in parallel and switching them as follows:

Scene 1 - Amp 1 X
Scene 2 - Amp 1 Y
Scene 3 - Amp 2 X
Scene 4 - Amp 2 Y
Scene 5 - Amp 1 & 2

This gives lots of options sound wise but is a nightmare to balance the levels and tweak the tones without the screen refreshing every time I change amps or XY states from Lemur.

I am a VB programmer and have a fair understanding of what I'd like it to do and I think I understand what the methodology would be to make it work, but the thought of having to learn a new language to try to work it all out makes me loose the will to live :). To be truthful I have not looked at the existing code in the Lemur template, and I will if I have to, but so far I have found nothing else I want to change, so I though I may as well ask first.

I can pay in reasonably average Australian Red Wine for any assistance :)

Cheers Simon

Hi Folks, absolutely love Lemur for the Axe, thanks to all who made it possible. I am struggling with the screen refresh on the amp page a bit. Would it be possible to refresh the amp page every time you change from Amp 1 to Amp 2 and from X to Y?

Now that we have the wonderful scenes, I have been setting up my patches with two amp blocks in parallel and switching them as follows:

Scene 1 - Amp 1 X
Scene 2 - Amp 1 Y
Scene 3 - Amp 2 X
Scene 4 - Amp 2 Y
Scene 5 - Amp 1 & 2

This gives lots of options sound wise but is a nightmare to balance the levels and tweak the tones without the screen refreshing every time I change amps or XY states from Lemur.

I am a VB programmer and have a fair understanding of what I'd like it to do and I think I understand what the methodology would be to make it work, but the thought of having to learn a new language to try to work it all out makes me loose the will to live :). To be truthful I have not looked at the existing code in the Lemur template, and I will if I have to, but so far I have found nothing else I want to change, so I though I may as well ask first.

I can pay in reasonably average Australian Red Wine for any assistance :)

Cheers Simon
Thanks!

The next version of my template will improve Auto-Sync. Changing the Scene using the MFC-101 or Axe-FX II front panel will trigger a resync if the block's X/Y setting has changed.

But it would be nice if the the template could automatically show & refresh the Amp2 controls when switching from Amp1 to Amp2 due to a scene change. I'd like this feature, so I will look into adding it.

I skimmed through the pages, but can't find the answer...

Does this template and Lemur give you the ability to backup presets and banks ? Or do the sysex glitches that were mentioned in some of the previous posts keep this from happening ?

Thanks !

Thanks!

The next version of my template will improve Auto-Sync. Changing the Scene using the MFC-101 or Axe-FX II front panel will trigger a resync if the block's X/Y setting has changed.

But it would be nice if the the template could automatically show & refresh the Amp2 controls when switching from Amp1 to Amp2 due to a scene change. I'd like this feature, so I will look into adding it.

Thanks, that would be great.
By the way, what does the zoom button do?

I skimmed through the pages, but can't find the answer...

Does this template and Lemur give you the ability to backup presets and banks ? Or do the sysex glitches that were mentioned in some of the previous posts keep this from happening ?

Thanks !

You still have to save on the Axe when using the template.

Great product scrutiniser, finally got around to updating it... Awesome wish I'd done it sooner :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, that would be great.
By the way, what does the zoom button do?
When Zoom is enabled, the Fader's vertical resolution is increased 10X.

In other words, it makes a 3" tall fader have the resolution of a 30" tall fader. Use Zoom mode to easily make small adjustments to parameters.

With regard to my previous request to refresh the X/Y and ampA/B settings when switching between them, would it be easier to maybe have both displayed at once ie. a dedicated page for Amp A with the two groups of settings, X and Y, next too each other. And the same for Amp B? Another option would be to display all four on a single page, it would be busy but really easy to adjust.
Just a thought :)
Cheers Simon

With regard to my previous request to refresh the X/Y and ampA/B settings when switching between them, would it be easier to maybe have both displayed at once ie. a dedicated page for Amp A with the two groups of settings, X and Y, next too each other. And the same for Amp B? Another option would be to display all four on a single page, it would be busy but really easy to adjust.
Just a thought :)
Cheers Simon
I think squeezing that many controls on one page would make it very difficult to make small adjustments. The controls would be tiny.

If the developers of Lemur add two features - more memory, and add support for large arrays - I was planning to add a crude database to cache queried values for each instance of each bloc in a preset. This would eliminate all of the redundant sysex queries when switching between X and Y or between the two instances of a block.

The editor template works with FW14.x. However, the template runs on V4.x of Lemur not V5, due to changes Liine made in Lemur V5. I downgraded my V5 to V4 and have loved having it back. It needs to run on V5 and have a few of the latest FW added, but it's still faster than axe-edit.

I did a thread called "calling all coders" to see who was interested in making it work on V5. There was interest, but those with possible skills all said they were short on time to work on it.

Back
Top Bottom