the Eventide H90 leak reminds us of how good we have it with FM3

Seems like a decent Reverb.com used buy. I've found that the BBD and tape delays in the Fractal to be better than Strymon, UAD, and Eventide. I do have to tweak the Fractal filters on the analog emulations to get the sound I would expect from my analog hardware units but I have the capability to do that in the Axe which is super important. For example, I really need to play with the filters in the Memory Man emulations to get what I'd expect, but then I just save the preset and move on.

As for the crazy crystal delays and mega stereo delays, they sound cool but stick out like a sore thumb on recordings, so I barely use them for anything. They are fun to play with though.

Reverbs: Fractal algo is too thin for me, Eventide is too thick, Strymon is better, but IRs on the Fractal do it for me.
I'd play with the early/late reverb mix on the Fractal reverbs. I find the early level is much louder than the other reverbs I use.

IMO, compared to Strymon products, the H90 is a great value. How many Strymon boxes do you have to buy to get a full complement of delay/mod/verb effects? The most obvious comparison would be to the TimeLine, Mobius, and BigSky. That would cost a lot more money than the H90. You don't get pitch shifting though.
Thanks for making the case for the FM3. :p

Gotta say that (like a lot of others up above) I just do not understand who the H90 is supposed to appeal to at this price point. I agree that it is intriguing, but "Come on man!".

IMO, compared to Strymon products, the H90 is a great value. How many Strymon boxes do you have to buy to get a full complement of delay/mod/verb effects? The most obvious comparison would be to the TimeLine, Mobius, and BigSky. That would cost a lot more money than the H90. You don't get pitch shifting though.
A used Stryfecta probably costs similar money to the H90. Let's not forget those three are 10 years old pedals at this point.

On my pedalboard at the moment I have a Strymon Nightsky and Volante. The Nightsky especially could probably do a whole bunch of what the H90 reverbs can do but with the difference that if I want a Plate reverb, I can still add EQ, modulation, overdrive and pitch shifting to it as I please. On the H90 I would need to pick a different reverb type which might not then sound like the basic reverb I wanted.

I have actually used the Nightsky to replicate some of my favorite Fractal reverbs like the North/South Church ones and it could get very similar results but definitely required quite a bit of careful adjustment. The beauty of the pedal is that almost everything is a dedicated knob or switch which makes it a lot more fun for experimentation than having to navigate around constantly on Fractal. To me Strymon's biggest strength is the way they make complex things easy with their user interface decisions.

Multifx units will always excel at switching things on the fly but separate pedals will be superior for immediate adjustments. I feel we are still at least a generation away from digital modelers and multifx units with user interfaces that combine the best of pedal and multifx workflows.

Funnily enough the H90 looks a lot like the 500 euro Hotone Ampero II Stomp, except the cheaper Hotone comes with a modern touchscreen interface. I'm sure it doesn't sound anywhere as good but in terms of user interface, way ahead.

If the H90 was more like a 700 euro pedal rather than 1200 I would probably be interested in buying it. As it is, it's just too expensive compared to something like a FM3, HX Stomp etc. I could buy two new HX Stomps for the same money.

Seems like a decent Reverb.com used buy. I've found that the BBD and tape delays in the Fractal to be better than Strymon, UAD, and Eventide. I do have to tweak the Fractal filters on the analog emulations to get the sound I would expect from my analog hardware units but I have the capability to do that in the Axe which is super important. For example, I really need to play with the filters in the Memory Man emulations to get what I'd expect, but then I just save the preset and move on.

As for the crazy crystal delays and mega stereo delays, they sound cool but stick out like a sore thumb on recordings, so I barely use them for anything. They are fun to play with though.

Reverbs: Fractal algo is too thin for me, Eventide is too thick, Strymon is better, but IRs on the Fractal do it for me.
Have you tried the El Capistan? It's worth a look. It's not a Memory Man but in some ways, I like it better.

Not a hater, just sad that they don't really push the envelope anymore. They used to! I was a kid in the 90s dreaming of big racks and they were kings.

Today they are in some lesser Line6 remix mode, re-selling "the hits" at different price points in different form factors.
Nothing wrong with that, but it's hardly exciting. For as lower to mid market as L6 is, they are pushing for new and offer a good interface.
well your comments say it all. you dont have a clue..

I had a H9 Max at some point, nice unit but most algorithms were very sterile sounding, not really suitable for guitar IMHO.

The price of the H90 is really laughable, I don't really get who they are trying to appeal.
I dont think the price is a problem for a lot of pedal guys. Check out the TGP thread, and how many guys are lined up to buy one... and also how many guys own 2x H9s already.

Personally I really like the Eventide VST verbs, and find the presets useful.

Why all the Eventide haters here? I have a h9000 and its an awesome unit for guitar. stellar sound.. I don't know what the algorithms consist of in the H90 but I do know Eventide puts a-lot of effects in one algorithm... I think they made the first digital effects period. I love Eventide effects. Pitch shifting is the best I've heard period.... I cant praise their products enough

And I had an H9000. I got it to do multi-string processing using a divided pickup from Cycfi. It sounded great but it was miserable to use and had a ton of bugs. I ended up returning it. For all the raw capability it has, it was nowhere near as flexible in terms of routing as I wanted to process six strings individually. It ended up being much simpler, cheaper, and far more powerful to just buy a couple more Axe-Fx IIIs.

I am no Eventide hater though. I used an Eclipse for years, still have an H9, and am considering grabbing an H90. There is no question in my mind that their stuff is much harder to use than it needs to be. Hopefully the H90 changes that.

Back when I was playing a tube amp into a load box, I got their Mod and the Delay stomp boxes. Decided they were overpriced and went back to my rack effects.

Possible it won't cover all of your needs but Simeon made some great available synth presets and blocks.
Agree.

I think there is an untapped market for making more pure FX presets for Fractal stuff.
We get amp tweaks, and IRs, and sound like Player X for days, but nowhere near enough FX presets given the power and the automation capabilities.

I'd love an H9000 preset pack for Fractal stuff. I'd gladly pay for it too.

And I had an H9000. I got it to do multi-string processing using a divided pickup from Cycfi. It sounded great but it was miserable to use and had a ton of bugs. I ended up returning it. For all the raw capability it has, it was nowhere near as flexible in terms of routing as I wanted to process six strings individually. It ended up being much simpler, cheaper, and far more powerful to just buy a couple more Axe-Fx IIIs.

I am no Eventide hater though. I used an Eclipse for years, still have an H9, and am considering grabbing an H90. There is no question in my mind that their stuff is much harder to use than it needs to be. Hopefully the H90 changes that.

i understand your pain. Emote has come a long way though along with OS updates. in my opinion using the H9000 with Emote is so much easier than using the H8000 without it. For what i use it for (post processing) you cant beat the H9000..

In a world where you can have an FM3 for $1k or an HX Stomp for $600, the Eventide stuff is wildly overprice. I don’t care how “quality” their stuff is.

In a world where you can have an FM3 for $1k or an HX Stomp for $600, the Eventide stuff is wildly overprice. I don’t care how “quality” their stuff is.
Not everyone thinks that way as I have observed. Ie, there was someone in these parts a while ago who decided that because they only ever use 1 particular amp model in the Fractal... they sold it and bought that one amp and were going to ITB it with some sort of IR config. That amp was worth more than double an FM3. Some people simply place a premium on something that does one job exceptionally well and not 200 other things they won't ever use.

If I was still running a pedal board with 2 x H9's and a Strymon Timeline.... I'd give the new H90 a look for sure. Freeing up pedal space is always a good thing.

Now that said, if Fractal noticed that there was a big market for the H90's and the like... They could decide to release an effects only version of the FM3 in a smaller gig friendly pedalboard sized housing.... and absolutely no ands ifs ands or buts... there has to be a bluetooth app. There are lots of players who are still attached to their amps but just want the FX.

Sean Meredith-Jones

If I was still running a pedal board with 2 x H9's and a Strymon Timeline.... I'd give the new H90 a look for sure. Freeing up pedal space is always a good thing.

Now that said, if Fractal noticed that there was a big market for the H90's and the like... They could decide to release an effects only version of the FM3 in a smaller gig friendly pedalboard sized housing.... and absolutely no ands ifs ands or buts... there has to be a bluetooth app. There are lots of players who are still attached to their amps but just want the FX.

Sean Meredith-Jones
That's really who the H9/H90 is targeted at, traditional pedal board guys.

From time-to-time folks bring up Fractal possibly producing an effects-only unit. I like to remind people they already did and it was called the FX8. I think it's safe to say there wasn't enough value there since it died out w/o a successor. You can always use the FM3 as effects-only. I doubt any such unit would have much smaller of a footprint anyway and probably very little difference in cost.

I have said for over a year if Fractal Released a small pedal that was JUST the PLEX VERB, or JUST the cloud Verbs... they could sell it for $900.

Now eventide proves it. And CXM/Meris.

Regeardless fractal should... it owuld be a gateway. FM3 is too big a gateway to get ALL the tire kickers.

I sold my FM3 sadly, pehaps I will buy another if I get the cash, or the FM9 If I get the invite and have the cash, or the FM4+ Turbo nonexistant future FM.

A used Stryfecta probably costs similar money to the H90. Let's not forget those three are 10 years old pedals at this point.

On my pedalboard at the moment I have a Strymon Nightsky and Volante. The Nightsky especially could probably do a whole bunch of what the H90 reverbs can do but with the difference that if I want a Plate reverb, I can still add EQ, modulation, overdrive and pitch shifting to it as I please. On the H90 I would need to pick a different reverb type which might not then sound like the basic reverb I wanted.

I have actually used the Nightsky to replicate some of my favorite Fractal reverbs like the North/South Church ones and it could get very similar results but definitely required quite a bit of careful adjustment. The beauty of the pedal is that almost everything is a dedicated knob or switch which makes it a lot more fun for experimentation than having to navigate around constantly on Fractal. To me Strymon's biggest strength is the way they make complex things easy with their user interface decisions.

Multifx units will always excel at switching things on the fly but separate pedals will be superior for immediate adjustments. I feel we are still at least a generation away from digital modelers and multifx units with user interfaces that combine the best of pedal and multifx workflows.

Funnily enough the H90 looks a lot like the 500 euro Hotone Ampero II Stomp, except the cheaper Hotone comes with a modern touchscreen interface. I'm sure it doesn't sound anywhere as good but in terms of user interface, way ahead.

If the H90 was more like a 700 euro pedal rather than 1200 I would probably be interested in buying it. As it is, it's just too expensive compared to something like a FM3, HX Stomp etc. I could buy two new HX Stomps for the same money.
I have Nightky and Volante too, great interfaces that "look" complex at first but are incrdibly intuitive. Nightsky is 32bit reverb as well.

Meris LVX which I did purchase, is like an "H90" version of those pedals combined.

Cool pedal. But nothing you couldnt make in an FM3.

Back
Top Bottom