The epitome of stupid....

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
So I'm auditing a course on IPv6 theory and migration. Pretty good class; am starting realize why no one is implementing this crap because 128 bit in hex format isn't as cool as a few octets for IP addresses....but it's still really cool and I get to practice all my math skillz in other numbering systems. Yeah.

But the fun part was when I went to leave this afternoon. Apparently there are about 8 parking garages in the same area and the one that I parked in was not the first or second or even third that I tried looking in. It was in the fourth one, but I had misremembered my damn parking spot so I went on to the fifth and sixth garages. Two hours later I finally found my car. Then I got to enjoy the traffic on the beltway which thanks to my fantastic car was able to inform me that I had traveled 6 miles in 50 minutes before I finally got onto 495 East.

Almost 5 hours to get home (about 38 miles) after losing my damn car. :eagerness:

What really screwed me up was that I kept hitting the panic button....apparently you have to hold it down to get it to activate. I was literally 30 feet away from my car at one point.

Sucks that happened to you man, but it could happen to anyone to be honest. Had a similar experience once when we went to a festival. My gf at the time didn't want to walk from where we parked so she talked everyone into jumping on the trailer that the festival was shuttling around to pick people up. The parking area was about 80-100 acres and slam damn full! So after the festival was closing, of course thousands of people were flooding out the gates going to their cars. Only problem was we didn't know what frigging row we parked on and how far back it was and there were so many cars if the same make model and color out there. We were walking around like idiots hitting the lock button to make the horn beep so we could find it. What a long night haha

And man, that "Like" is a definitely NOT "Like". Sucks.

This, to (maybe) help lighten things up a little.

Soooo been there...

Ah, but losing time to spend with your Axe FX because of losing your car only to be stuck in ridiculous traffic = SUCK control on 11 with a big ol' BLOWS pedal in front.

Loosing your car…not a big deal.
Loosing your Axe-Fx….SERIOUS!

What do you mean "no one is implementing". I'm on IPv6 over here, on both LAN and WAN.

So I'm auditing a course on IPv6 theory and migration. Pretty good class; am starting realize why no one is implementing this crap ..

Yea, I did a deep dive into IPv6 a couple of years ago and, while it does bring definite improvements and options, agree that 128 bit addresses are rough on the brain.

I'm just going to continue using IPv4 private address spaces at work, and use an IPv6 address externally and just do an IPv4 -> IPv6 NAT translation when I need to cross that bridge.

Glad you made it home...mebbe you should invent an Internet Of Things gizmo using IPv6 to make sure that doesn't happen again :geek

So I'm auditing a course on IPv6 theory and migration. Pretty good class; am starting realize why no one is implementing this crap because 128 bit in hex format isn't as cool as a few octets for IP addresses....but it's still really cool and I get to practice all my math skillz in other numbering systems. Yeah.

Nah, IPv6 is much easier in a lot of ways. Subnetting is easier because you can subnet in hex and not binary. No need for VLSM either.

Ahhhhh...495... I know it well. And do well to avoid it whenever possible, which is often. Twice or three times I year I travel up from N.C. to New Jersey to see my kids. I always leave early in the morning so I can be done with 495 around 3:30 pm. I've found that's what works best for me. DC to NJ can be a nightmare, as I'm sure you know, Sash.

Had a similar experience once with my father. We walked and walked and walked the parking lot looking for our car. Never did find it. Turns out the loan company repossessed it. Consider yourself
lucky.

Sometimes when we get so in to a topic, specially Math but anything that takes a lot of concentration, we can tend to temporarly lose our mind in other parts that we take for granted. It can be seriously frustrating haha but it makes for the best laughs later!!!!

Glad everything worked out.

Getting old sucks!!! LOL! I'll be 50 this year and I get distracted on the way to the bathroom and then have to stop and think a second, what was I doing?:~ The joys of modern life follow us around like a little black cloud (of brain fog) :)

I learned two things the hard way when I first went to America: Cars doors lock themselves when shut (really regretted leaving the engine running when I got out), and car parks are really, REALLY big.

Back
Top Bottom