The energyball amp is....

funkle

... really cool! I always thought of this as a metal amp, and I usually gravitate towards the more smooth and classic amps. But this Engl model is just really intriguing to me. It can get really hairy sounding, but the true sound of the guitar still comes through, only with great cut and balls. A couple interesting things about this amp: I prefer just the amp distortion without any drive pedal in front, and it is very responsive to the drive parameter in the amp - for instance, backing off on the drive sounds a lot different than reducing the gain going into the amp, and you cannot simulate increased drive by boosting the signal going in.

This amp really gets close to some of the tones Jeff Kollman gets. He uses strats and a LP P90 through a Bogner the times I've seen him, although I believe he is endorsing Krank now.

I know he used Krank on the last Cosmosquad album (horrible tone IMO on that), but I think he is almost exclusively using Fender live now that they came out with the Super Sonic. I loved the way his prototype Bogner sounded.

javajunkie said:
I know he used Krank on the last Cosmosquad album (horrible tone IMO on that),

Listening to it now. Sounds pretty good to me :) Bleeding the Soul has some stellar tones too.

Just listened to some of the clips on his site and that's sort of what I'd expected to get from an Engl, especially the newer models. Sounds pretty metal to me though...sorry :oops: ...

VegaBaby said:
Just listened to some of the clips on his site and that's sort of what I'd expected to get from an Engl, especially the newer models. Sounds pretty metal to me though...sorry :oops: ...

Listen to the Cosmosquad, Cosmosquad and Cosmosquad Squadraphinia. That is the Bogner.

Back
Top Bottom