The elusive Pitch Block

slinky005

Power User
My band is doing Hotel California.
I'm the only electric player.
For me to be able to do some (if not all) of the harmony parts, (verses and solo), would this require constant switching of scenes to accommodate different scales etc?
I've played around with the learn function and it just won't stick to my brain.

There is a harmonizer in there, you can set the key and it will intelligently track your line at the interval you set. It's one of the modes of the pitch block, check out the manual and the wiki for details.

Mark Day, I believe, created a awesome patch for the guitar solo so you can do both Joe Walsh's and Don Felder's harmony parts. LOTS OF FOOT STOMPING ON IAs CHANGING HARMONY DUE TO THE KEY CHANGES OF THE CHORD PROGRESSION [I was about to type "depression"]

Here's an outro approach that will avoid one wrong-note spot in Mark's listed scales. (Can't use same scale over G & D chords.)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hotel-california.105587/#post-1263425

One custom scale can actually cover the whole outro if you switch keys in a certain way. This is one of several solutions (not counting rotations):

A x
A# -4
B -5
C -4
C# -3
D -3
D# -4
E -3
F x
F# -4
G x
G# -5

(x = not needed but set close to other shifts for best results)

Key per measure:
A, A, Bb, G, Ab, Eb, D, G

Last edited:
(hotel) one tip - we play this song and i do the verse harmonies by setting up a fifth and an octave, with a third that i can sweep between a major and a minor with my expression pedal. much easier than stomping on footswitches, i find. the keyboard player does the harmonies in the outro. i think you can load two custom scales into the pitch shifter, so you could use the same technique and have an expression pedal tied to the volume of each, but inverse. just rocking a pedal back and forth is infinitely easier than trying to hit switches on time (and is better for overall balance and stability, which is important at my age!)

Rock you like a hurricane harmonies? Anyone?

A custom scale (E minor with no 6th, E F# G A B D) would get it from where the bends start. Shift at +3 or -3 (-3 while playing top part will work better on bends).

Before that there's a 5th (can use above scale), and the descending lick would need another setting to get note for note. It would probably sound close enough going to the custom scale 3rds there and staying within that scale (higher part A B A G F# E D B A).

A custom scale (E minor with no 6th, E F# G A B D) would get it from where the bends start. Shift at +3 or -3 (-3 while playing top part will work better on bends).

Before that there's a 5th (can use above scale), and the descending lick would need another setting to get note for note. It would probably sound close enough going to the custom scale 3rds there and staying within that scale (higher part A B A G F# E D B A).
Thanks for the tip. I will try it tonight.

(hotel) one tip - we play this song and i do the verse harmonies by setting up a fifth and an octave, with a third that i can sweep between a major and a minor with my expression pedal. much easier than stomping on footswitches, i find. the keyboard player does the harmonies in the outro. i think you can load two custom scales into the pitch shifter, so you could use the same technique and have an expression pedal tied to the volume of each, but inverse. just rocking a pedal back and forth is infinitely easier than trying to hit switches on time (and is better for overall balance and stability, which is important at my age!)
Preset??

My band is doing Hotel California.
I'm the only electric player.
For me to be able to do some (if not all) of the harmony parts, (verses and solo), would this require constant switching of scenes to accommodate different scales etc?
I've played around with the learn function and it just won't stick to my brain.

One word... @Moke

I'm willing to bet "if" anyone can do it, he can.

I've been using some of his other harmony preset packages, and their pretty bad-ass.

Back
Top Bottom