The elusive 'money for nothing' tone...

Your first post? Welcome to the forum! :encouragement:

Not bad, not sure if it's the bass guitar I'm missing or if that sounded a little thin though. It does actually sound like you nailed the exact same tone which would be on the studio album, so in a band that might work well in the mix too. Nicely done!

Welcome!

This tone is on my list . . . almost went at it monday.
You're right, elusive. You got the majority of it/basic tone...a lil' thicker & needs some slight "presence" of an effect..maybe a
j r tad of delay.

Your first post? Welcome to the forum! :encouragement:

Not bad, not sure if it's the bass guitar I'm missing or if that sounded a little thin though. It does actually sound like you nailed the exact same tone which would be on the studio album, so in a band that might work well in the mix too. Nicely done!

Thanks -
Point taken on the lack of body - l'll see if I can't fatten it up.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxbidPdYFE

Guy has great skill and explains everything thoroughly (in all of his lessons). And he has really great tone in this lesson thanks to Wah pedal. Of course he uses tube amp (Egnater AFAIK), but this trick with Wah is pretty neat and effective. Worth trying on AFX.

One of my most important subscriptions on YT ;)

Part of the reason the guitar sounds so fat on the album is the double tracking. But it does have a bit of an extreme low grit/crunch to it that pops at points in the tone.

Sounds good Michael , what amp and fx you're using?

So I was playing through the presets after getting the unit out of the box - came across [193] 'I'm Nationwide' and realized that it was already pretty close. Added a tone match and stereo enhance block and stopped.

The full chain then is:
T800 OD --> Deluxe tweed --> 1x12 deluxe tweed cab --> tone match block at 100% mix --> med room reverb --> enhance block

Notable thing was that I'd had the unit for 30 minutes and was able to get in the neighborhood with the tone in ~15 minutes. Speaks to the power of the processor.

thanks,
m

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxbidPdYFE

Guy has great skill and explains everything thoroughly (in all of his lessons). And he has really great tone in this lesson thanks to Wah pedal. Of course he uses tube amp (Egnater AFAIK), but this trick with Wah is pretty neat and effective. Worth trying on AFX.

One of my most important subscriptions on YT ;)

Thanks kavoo - this is great. I've set up a subscription as well.

m

Sounds good to me , never did the song ,but always thought it to be cocked wah tone

As far as I remember did Mark Knoepfler use an SLO 100 and just some basic eq settings on the amp - some guitar magazin in Germany did an interview with Mark and he gave them his settings on the SLO 100 and it was suposed to be spot on...

Back
Top Bottom