The Eight Amplifier Knobs..

AngusV

Inspired
So I was just wondering, do any of you miss the all the turn knobs on the AX8 that control Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Depth... ETC. I used this on stage (live) for on the fly tweaks for different venue acoustics.
How is this translating to the FM3 as a live floor unit?

Thanks
yes something like that but I guess not on the FM3 Floor unit like we have on the AX8 :

1591974152734.png

Maybe on an update to get us "Back to the future"

The way the performance page is better than what AX8 had, is that you can put whatever knobs you want there, instead of being limited to only amp knobs. The way it's worse - You need to press a button to get into there.

Anyway... Here's an idea....:
1591975224199.png
I wonder if a knob midi device such as this could be made to work with the FM3...

As far as venue to venue adjustment: Global Settings: Output 1 EQ. Easy Peasy.

I personally don't miss the rotary knobs, except for their good looks. Early on, I used them somewhat on the AX8 getting tones dialed in, but quickly got to the point where I'd just work with the Editor. Always relied on the guitar's volume and tone knob for most performance adjustments, as with actual tube amps. I want that amp set and forget when playing, regardless if its tube or modeled. With the FM3 there's far more nuance and variation capability within a preset (4 channels, scenes, and scene controllers) that accomplish any and all EQ and gain knob adjustments. With the FM3, I get tones I love with suspiciously little adjustment anyway, and after I've got a good feel for an amp/guitar relationship, there's not enough call for adjustment of amp tone knobs that they need immediately accessible dedicated controls. The FM3 is a very well implemented compact device, but doesn't have the AX8's more amp like hardware experience with its direct access to basic controls and switching on the top panel. Two different interface eras. but as far as that goes: The crackle of turning old pots to send electrons to blast the plates of tubes until a microphonic squeal arises is also still available when the urge arises.

Last edited:
The way the performance page is better than what AX8 had, is that you can put whatever knobs you want there, instead of being limited to only amp knobs. The way it's worse - You need to press a button to get into there.

Anyway... Here's an idea....:
View attachment 68744
I wonder if a knob midi device such as this could be made to work with the FM3...
OMG that gave me flashbacks of creating Mainstage rigs on Mac lol! But that is a great idea.

I never used them on the AX8. That part was always spot on no matter the venue. At home, I always used the editor. Worse case, I needed to adjust some Delays or Verb which meant quick menu-diving. Now, that I wrote that... I guess I'm used to altering the tone more with the controls on my guitar than reaching down and fiddling with knobs.

So I was just wondering, do any of you miss the all the turn knobs on the AX8 that control Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Depth... ETC. I used this on stage (live) for on the fly tweaks for different venue acoustics.
How is this translating to the FM3 as a live floor unit?

I don’t miss them at all. If I need to make a quick adjustment, the authentic controls are accessible pretty quickly from the front panel. I dial in most of my tones from the front panel anyway, so it’s no big deal. I do hope that they implement the Performance screen. I found it extremely handy on the Axe-FX III.

Back
Top Bottom