The Edge's Fractal rig

I don't see a Power Amp in this rack. I would guess that indicates that he is likely still playing through his Vox's.

I don't see a Power Amp in this rack. I would guess that indicates that he is likely still playing through his Vox's.

If you send your signal direct to your FOH and monitor system you don't need any power amp!

I see no reason why he would need a power amp!
For what?
And I don't mean to be bitching or being rude.

Last edited:
Power amp would be assuming that he is using passive monitors so that they don't have to run power cords to the Edge's Wedges. I am sure he has at least a house mix to a wedge, but would likely want his own solo wedge as well (I would as it keeps all hands but yours off that sound - but everyone has their own way of doing things - especially Edge). Who knows perhaps he is doing exactly as you said. @jeppekristoffer - Not taken as rude at all, taken as constructive collaboration on an interesting topic! I am sure many of you guys are way more knowledgable on large stage set ups than I. I am just curious as a cat about such things.

I would think they would all be on IEM's at this point, with the size of the stages they play. In fact, I'm pretty sure with all of the DVDs I have of them, there aren't any wedges on the stage anymore, and everyone has ear pieces.

IEMs all the way for monitoring. Bono has a "couple of low profile Clair 12AMII ‘Stealth’ wedges" but otherwise it's a clean stage for the monitoring aspect.

"INTO THE UNDERWORLD
Before rehearsals for 360°, monitor engineer Dave Skaff had spent most of the last three years off the road working for Digidesign. A call from Joe O’Herlihy catapulted him back into the touring world and he’s glad to be in the thick of it once more.

Monitor duties for this tour are divided between Skaff, Niall Slevin and Alistair McMillan, who is charged with recording each show. Robbie Adams was also present in Barcelona in a monitor consultant’s role.

DiGiCo SD7s are also favoured in the monitor underworld by Slevin and McMillan, with one assigned to Bono and another for The Edge, whose monitoring has always required complex attention.

A Digidesign D-Show Profile is run by Skaff for Clayton, Mullen Jr and invisible keyboard player Terry Lawless. Skaff’s Profile choice was, he said, influenced by the tight working area beneath the stage.

“It’s cramped down here, but you get used to it!” laughed Skaff, another U2 long-timer. “We don’t have a direct line of sight to the band because of where we are, so we’re working off video monitors. There’s also a separate mixer that mixes the 15 talk-back mics that link us to FOH and the stage.”

The band are on Future Sonics ear monitors, paired with Sennheiser G2 hardware. And apart from a couple of low profile Clair 12AMII ‘Stealth’ wedges for Bono, it’s a fairly ‘clean’ stage.

This is Future Sonics’ 17th year with U2 and in addition to the band’s requirements, the company, headed by founder Marty Garcia, has also been working with the security team to provide improved communication.

Although Skaff and Slevin previously included wireless frequency management as part of their daily tasks, the scale of this production required a dedicated RF technician, namely Josh Flower of Wireless First.

“The wireless thing has been a battle here in Barcelona which is a notoriously bad city for RF, with things flying about all over,” Skaff explained. “We wanted to get into a ground-based antennae solution that is more serviceable.

“There was also the complication of this big screen which is a huge metal shield and power supplies are usually the main offenders when it comes to affecting wireless transmission. But because of the way it’s designed, the power supplies are located high enough to not have a severe impact.

“We’ve got double sets of frequencies within the 500-600MHz band for everyone and around 60 belt packs to ensure that everybody gets what they need. It’s bordering on enough wireless kit to set up a dealership!”

Clair’s sound crew also includes Ben Blocker, Hannes Dander, Thomas Ford, Chris Fulton, Kelsey Gingrich, Pascal Harlaut, Joel Merrill, Jason O’Dell and Jennifer Smola."

From U2 360° - Total Production

Also, That's an API 550 Stereo/Dual Mono 550 EQ used thus: "The API is just for output signal conditioning. Its a quick way to make tonal adjustments on the fly rather than digging into menus and pushing buttons. The second AxeFX is backup."
According to Bob B. via Facebook.

...amen...

Also, That's an API 550 Stereo/Dual Mono 550 EQ used thus: "The API is just for output signal conditioning. Its a quick way to make tonal adjustments on the fly rather than digging into menus and pushing buttons. The second AxeFX is backup."
According to Bob B. via Facebook.

I can't argue about speedy adjustments, but an API EQ is also a hellova iconic electric guitar EQ.

Could be using the amp model as i was amazed during a Dallas/U2 youtube vid, where Dallas tells us that The Edge gets his overdrive from Line 6 POD's that where in his rack system.

Interesting, wonder if all his amp backline was substituted or just FX or what?

From the comments on the facebook page: "...However, I DO know the Axe is used for amp modeling as well as effects, ..."
and also another interesting comment: "It is important to note this system doesn't replace anything...its just another means for creativity."

I wonder if with the Axe FX II he has finally found what he was looking for. :mrgreen:mrgreen

ba-dum-tish.gif

The Edge loves his delay! :geek

40 – 625 ms
11 o Clock Tick Tock -312 ms
4th July – 489 ms
Celebration – 286ms
A Day Without Me – 290 m/s
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel – 340 ms
A Sort Of Homecoming - 387 ms
Acrobat – 617 ms
All I Want Is You – 478 ms
An Cat Dubh – 401 ms
Angel Of Harlem – 432 ms
Another Day – 281 ms
Another Time Another Place – 330 ms
Babyface – 450 ms
Bad – 468 ms
Bass Trap – 535 ms
Beautiful Day – 326 ms
Bomerang 1 and 2 – 365 ms
Boy Girl – 255 ms
Bullet The Blue Sky – 592 ms
Deep in The Heart – 625 ms
Desire – 409 ms
Dirty Day – 436 ms
Discoteque – 375 ms
Do You Feel Loved – 394 ms
Drowning Man – 375 ms
Elvis Presley And America – 489 ms
Endless Deep – 330 ms
Even Better Than The Real Thing – 340 ms
Exit – 387 ms
Fire – 304 ms
Gloria – 316 ms
God Part 2 – 401 ms
Gone – 511 ms
Hallelujah Here She Comes – 416 ms
Hawkmoon 269 – 468 ms
Heartland – 459 ms
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me – 523 ms
Holy Joe – 416 ms
I Fall Down – 326 ms
I Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For – 441 ms
I Threw A Brick Through A Window – 432 ms
I Will Follow – 290 ms
Im Not Your Baby – 523ms
If God Will Send His Angels – 500ms
If You Wear That Velvet Dress – 555 ms
In Gods Country – 357 ms
Indian Summer Sky – 321 ms
Into The Heart – 375 ms
Is That All – 292 ms
Lady With The Spinning Head – 416 ms
Last Night On Earth – 381 ms
Like A Song – 304 ms
Love Comes Tumbling – 375 ms
Love Is Blindness – 937 ms
Love Rescue Me – 789 ms
Luminous Times – 625 ms
Miami – 576 ms
Miss Sarajevo – 432 ms
MoFo – 368 ms
Mothers Of The Dissapeared – 428 ms
Mysterious Ways – 450 ms
New Years Day – 340 ms
Numb – 494 ms
October – 523 ms
One – 459 ms
One Tree Hill – 365 ms
Out Of Control – 300 ms
Please – 441 ms
Pride – 416 ms
Promenade – 703ms
Red Hill Mining Town – 335 ms
Red Light 351 ms
Rejoice – 281 ms
Running To Stand Still – 459 ms
Salome – 348 ms
Scarlet – 401 ms
Seconds – 468 ms
Shadows And Tall Trees – 432 ms
Silver And Gold – 401 ms
Sixty Seconds To Kingdom Come – 505ms
Slow Dancing – 978ms
So Cruel – 483 ms
Some Days Are Better Than Others – 384 ms
Spanish Eyes – 351 ms
Staring At The Sun – 642 ms
Stay (Faraway So Close) – 459 ms
Stories For Boys – 288 ms
Stranger In A Strange Land – 362 ms
Stuck In A Moment – 535 ms
Sunday Bloody Sunday – 416 ms
Surrender – 375 ms
Sweetest Thing – 625 ms
Electric Co- 267 ms
First Time – 483 ms
The Fly - 450 ms
The Ocean – 535 ms
Playboy Mansion – 535 ms
Refugee – 304 ms
3 Sunrises – 330ms
Unforgetable Fire – 321ms
Wanderer – 375 ms
Things To Make And Do – 312ms
Tomorrow – 375 ms
Touch – 281 ms
Party Girl – 296 ms
Treasure – 271 ms
Trip Through Your Wires – 608 ms
Trying To Throw Your Arms – 505 ms
Twilight – 330 ms
2 Hearts Beat As One – 321 ms
2 Shots Of Happy – 750 ms
Ultra Voilet – 459 ms
Until The End Of The World 432 ms
Van Diemens Land – 441 ms
Wake Up Dead Man – 450 ms
Walk To The Water – 592 ms
When Love Comes To Town – 381 ms
Where Did It All Go Wrong – 357 ms
Where The Streets Have No Name – 362 ms
Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses – 335 ms
Wire – 312 ms
With A Shout – 284 ms
With Or Without You – 401 ms
Zoo Station – 346 ms
Zooropa – 489 ms

After the majority of non-djent Axe Fx vids turned out to be copies of the Edge's presets, he finally got the hint...

Back
Top Bottom