THE Dumble tone

Wildwind

Experienced
Over two days, I spent six hours or more researching this, not my usual MO. And I heard a bunch of good demos with this tone. But try as I might, I can't get close with my Axe-Fx. I'm a Strat player, but heard demos using Strats and Teles that get there.

I think you know "the sound." I don't play covers or try to nail a player's tone usually, so I can't help much there. But on YT, there are demos of the Ethos (Tim Lerch comes to mind) that get that tone. I had one of these for a good while and at one time nailed its various tones with my Axe-Fx. Now I can't.

Can someone tell me how to get into that ballpark? I've tried all the Dumbles and clones. And I'm getting some great sounds, but not THAT one.

Thanks for humoring me...

Over two days, I spent six hours or more researching this, not my usual MO. And I heard a bunch of good demos with this tone. But try as I might, I can't get close with my Axe-Fx. I'm a Strat player, but heard demos using Strats and Teles that get there.

I think you know "the sound." I don't play covers or try to nail a player's tone usually, so I can't help much there. But on YT, there are demos of the Ethos (Tim Lerch comes to mind) that get that tone. I had one of these for a good while and at one time nailed its various tones with my Axe-Fx. Now I can't.

Can someone tell me how to get into that ballpark? I've tried all the Dumbles and clones. And I'm getting some great sounds, but not THAT one.

Thanks for humoring me...
Post a link to a video with the specific Dumble tone you seek... There are different players with different tones, so specificity is best :)

Try the attached amp block settings, see screen shot below.

Try Factory Cab 057 (4X12 SLM H75) with a R121 mic and proximity set to 4.5 and motor drive set to 1 or 2, cut everything below 40hz and above 14000.

Since you are playing a Strat, try putting an FET PREAMP block in front, drive at 3, tone at 6, level at 4.

Also on bridge strat pickup roll back the tone knob a little so it's less bright.

If you want, add a 2290 w/MOD delay block in stereo mode at 116ms time and mix about 11%

This is basically a hi-gain Robben Ford type Dumble sound. Lower both the input gain to 5 and overdrive to 5 and master volume to 4.2ish to get a cleaner version with less gain. Experiment! Let me know if this is working for you/the tone you seek...because there are lots of Dumbles tones and players, it varies...

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 9.24.43 PM.png

Thanks everyone! I will try these after work tonight.

As for a link:

Not sure how to make it a link. It's an Ethos Overdrive Amp, but that's the neighborhood I'm after tonally.

Just a question to scratch an itch - from my reading today, it seems it could be what I'm "hearing" of this Dumble tone is actually the clean channel, not the OD channel. Am I right? If so, are they just cranking the gain? What pedal would be a good choice? I know the Zen Drive is maybe the obvious choice, but that's more to make a Fender sound like a Dumble.

I will try all of your suggestions. Just going nuts at work and the clock is stuck. Or something.

Try the ODS Ford2 and a 1x12 cab and tweak it to your ears. I got a really nice Dumbly type tone with that on my Neck pup on a Strat and added an Analog Delay at 100ms and man, does it sound good to me.

I then copied and pasted the Amp and Settings and just cranked the Gain a bit and got a smooth distorted tone. Not altogether happy with it yet as it has a bit too much "bite". Still playing around.

Last edited:
Try the ODS Robben2 and a 1x12 cab and tweak it to your ears. I got a really nice Dumbly type tone with that on my Neck pup on a Strat and added an Analog Delay at 100ms and man, does it sound good to me.

I then copied and pasted the Amp and Settings and just cranked the Gain a bit and got a smooth distorted tone. Not altogether happy with it yet as it has a bit too much "bite". Still playing around.
I think you mean ODS Ford2?

The promised update. I'm not done yet - so many options and too much fun - but I'm way closer, thanks for the great comments. Last night was most gratifying!

I ended up with two presets that are almost ready for use. Both are Ford 2, as it turns out. One has the gains pretty cranked; the other has them very low and uses a ZenDrive. Both sound great, but the second is closer to the sample I embedded.

And I still should try Ford 1 and other models of the D variety, though I may just stop soon and be happy.

The main reason I didn't finish the tweaking is I just kept jamming to tracks and switching back and forth, unable to make up my mind. I have two slots open - I will almost for certain use them both.

Any other ODs I can try? Any tricks you can suggest? I had been, out of habit with high-gain amps, been running my Bass very low, like 0. Boosting it to 5.0 really warmed it up gave me more of that typical wound string tone I'm hearing. Most of my tweaks from here on out will be concentrated on dialing in that part of the tone. Controls on the Zen Drive at 5.0 and 5.0, can't remember the mix. Did not change it from the default.

I'm also uncertain about the IR to use. I did try those suggested, plus those from the Wiki. Cliff said Dumble preferred cabs with EVM12Ls, so I have tried that Dumble IR. But I'm waiting for that profound moment and I'm not getting it yet, though I'm hardly complaining. Anyone have a profound fave?

Thanks again for the great help. Exactly what I needed!

I did use that IR once upon a time. I'll try it again. I had forgotten about it. Thanks! I'll update when I can, probably Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom