The Dreaded "Name Timeout" Issue

SockPuppet

Inspired
As the title suggests I get the "Name Timeout" message on the MFC 101 on both ethernet and MIDI.

Running firmware 2.18 on the MFC and 11.05 on the Axe FX II.

This is what I've done so far;

- Tested the ethernet cable
- Tried a different cable (made sure it wasn't a crossover CAT-5)
- Tried MIDI (changed the MFC to MIDI also)
- Checked to see if I've changed any settings on the MFC or the AXE FX (such as Send Realtime Sysex etc.)
- Re-installed firmware 2.18 on the MFC
- Cleaned system parameters on the Axe FX

Still no luck :/ anyone got any tricks to get this working? Maybe worth trying CAT6?

axe fx mode?

Hey Chris!
It is in Axe FX II mode.
The thing is it has been working fine without any trouble for about 8 months. Then I though I would re-work my pedalboard, so I just tested a shorter cable to see if it worked. But it didn't so I plugged my old cable back in and that one didn't work either.

Not sure this will help... I had some problems this summer, we do a lot of outside shows and I had to Clean the connections on my MFC and my Axe II. I used the DeoxIt D5 Quick Dry Formula.

Last edited:
Not sure this will help... I had some problems this summer, we do a lot of outside shows and I had to Clean the connections on my MFC and my Axe II. I used the DeoxIt D5 Quick Dry Formula.

Hi Rain! I saw your thread about that, so I gave it a shot too. Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem :(

I just emailed support to ask them about this. What I think might have happened is that the shorter CAT5 cable I was trying out had a faulty pin 1. This might have damaged the MFC somehow.

I've also checked that all the pins are straight on the Axe FX and MFC as well as trying 3 different cables both MIDI and CAT5+6, so I can at least rule out the cable issue. Although I was hoping that it would be as simple as a cable issue :p

Good Luck.. I use Midi. I just checked the Cat 5 connection and it's not working again I might have to send it in for service. I see that you did the Reinstalled the Firmware, did you also do a MFC Reset after reinstalling the Firmware ?

Good Luck.. I use Midi. I just checked the Cat 5 connection and it's not working again I might have to send it in for service. I see that you did the Reinstalled the Firmware, did you also do a MFC Reset after reinstalling the Firmware ?

Yeah I'm probably sending mine in for service next week and get all of this sorted out. Yep, held down button 11 during start-up. Still get the timeout, but at least I know how to reset it :)

When you try MIDI, are you using 7 pin or 5 pin? I was using 7 pin midi, and had this problem recently... tried a 5 pin and powered the MFC with it's appropriate walwart adapter and it's working like a charm. I've always had problems with the ethernet cable and I think when the AXE has to send power either via the ethernet or the 7pin midi, it's hit and miss, sometimes unstable. I'm going to try a new 7 pin midi and see if it works, otherwise I'll stick with the 5 pin and the power supply.

When you try MIDI, are you using 7 pin or 5 pin? I was using 7 pin midi, and had this problem recently... tried a 5 pin and powered the MFC with it's appropriate walwart adapter and it's working like a charm. I've always had problems with the ethernet cable and I think when the AXE has to send power either via the ethernet or the 7pin midi, it's hit and miss, sometimes unstable. I'm going to try a new 7 pin midi and see if it works, otherwise I'll stick with the 5 pin and the power supply.

I tried using 5 pin with the powersupply. I haven't tried the 7 pin yet. It's worth a shot :) - I'm still sending it in for service on monday, along with my axe fx which is kind of a bummer. G66 here in Europe are just awesome to work with though!

This sounds stupid, but when plugging in my old cable, the "click" wasn't enough. I had to push it a bit to make sure it was seated at the very back of the jack. The cable I bought from guitar-cable.com doesn't have this problem. I guess what I'm saying is that even if wired correctly, all Cat5 connectors are not the same.

Just got it back from G66 today :) The RJ45 jack had to be changed on the Axe FX. The problem was probably caused by either wear and tear or the cable that was faulty (don't really know how a faulty cable could break the RJ45 jack though).

The same thing happened to me, mine's at Fractal right now getting fixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom