The Deadly Dual Amp Thread

The rick with Dual Amping is to treat the 2 as one single NEW amp, shift EQ's Drive etc in a see saw manner, drop the mids out of one and lift the upper mids in the other etc, like baking a cake
Yeah this, use some different amps.
If you are using a US MK IV or 2 C + etc. a Plexi style amp is a great match. Just blend them together until it fits.

The rick with Dual Amping is to treat the 2 as one single NEW amp, shift EQ's Drive etc in a see saw manner, drop the mids out of one and lift the upper mids in the other etc, like baking a cake

I've found that if I treat one amp as "secondary" and turn its level down a few DB, they tend to play nicer together.

As always, great sound, Leon!
May I ask, what's your recipe? one amp way softer than the other? one eq'd for lows, the other for the trebly side? Do they go in one cab block or in 2 with the same ir?

I'd love to know too, as that tone kicks ass. However, I've come to understand that some guys will sound great with twine and a broom stick and Leon is one of those guys. Lol.

IIRC we set up the Euro Uber model through a V30 cab IR for the core "chunky" tone and got that dialed in. We then experimented with blending in another amp and cab in parallel and settled on the Atomica through a greenback cab IR, set for a less saturated and more mid heavy "crunch". While playing along to the track we slowly increased the level on the Atomica/GB combo until it sat right in the mix. I cut a take with that blend and then cut a double. The cab high/low cut were set wide open (20hz/20khz) and the Axe-Fx went to an API 500 series mic pre and then into Pro-Tools via some Antelope converters.

Found the preset and tidied it up a little with some post-Cygnus features. It's pretty nasty sounding in isolation but does the job in context.

Attachments

• Ubertomica.fasBundle
    31.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
IIRC we set up the Euro Uber model through a V30 cab IR for the core "chunky" tone and got that dialed in. We then experimented with blending in another amp and cab in parallel and settled on the Atomica through a greenback cab IR, set for a less saturated and more mid heavy "crunch". While playing along to the track we slowly increased the level on the Atomica/GB combo until it sat right in the mix. I cut a take with that blend and then cut a double. The cab high/low cut were set wide open (20hz/20khz) and the Axe-Fx went to an API 500 series mic pre and then into Pro-Tools via some Antelope converters.
Thanks for the insights, Leon!

Since it's on topic, he's my main preset I use. Each scene has 2 amps, one panned hard left, the other right. The cab IR is the "ML Best IR in the World" which is a free IR you can find around the web. I figured it would be okay to include in the attached bundle.

I'm curious how well the preset works for other people. I know you have to trust your ears over your eyes, but I feel like 95% of other people's presets don't sound good with my guitars (typically Schecters or LTDs with Seymour Duncan JB+Jazz or similar kind of pickups) going direct into mixer or interface. I use HS8 monitors at home and Westone UM Pro 50 IEM live for monitoring and I think it sounds great in both scenarios.

Scene 1: High Gain Rhythm - Friedman HBE & Diezel
Scene 2: High Gain Lead - Friedman HBE & Diezel
Scene 3: Clean Dry - Band Commander and... I can't remember (I think it's a CE something)
Scene 4: Clean FX - Band Commander and... I can't remember (I think it's a CE something)
Scene 5: Light Distorted Rhythm - 2 Buttery amps with slightly different settings
Scene 6: Light Distorted Lead - 2 Buttery amps with slightly different settings
Scene 7: Ambient

Attachments

• Hi Gain - FriDizzy.fasBundle
    64.5 KB · Views: 69
Friedman BE/HBE into a York Audio FDMN IR and the SLO 100 as well into a York Audio Mesa OS IR, killer sound!

This a very versatile combo. I can take from cleans to nice distortion with a sweep of the pedal. I usually can't get that much usable range without some sort of parameter adjustment via scene change. The cleans are heavenly with a bit of twang.

Surprisingly, this may become a country preset for me. I wasn't expecting that when you recommended it. The breakup seems a bit Paisley-ish to me. I'm using mixes 2 and 13 on both @York Audio packs, BTW.

My "main" preset is a single HBE into the York Audio Phil X cab with a dual detune block for that nice thick tone, but for my Foreigner tribute, I started messing with 2 amps to get different textures on each side of the stage since I'm 1 guitarist covering 2 spots.

I use the FAS Crunch as my main tone, as it's just an amazing version of a Marshall, and I use an HBE on the other side to fill out the rest of the frequencies in the mix. Sounds killer. Both use the York Audio Phil X cab, as well as some of the full res room cabs to fill in the mix.

My "main" preset is a single HBE into the York Audio Phil X cab with a dual detune block for that nice thick tone, but for my Foreigner tribute, I started messing with 2 amps to get different textures on each side of the stage since I'm 1 guitarist covering 2 spots.

I use the FAS Crunch as my main tone, as it's just an amazing version of a Marshall, and I use an HBE on the other side to fill out the rest of the frequencies in the mix. Sounds killer. Both use the York Audio Phil X cab, as well as some of the full res room cabs to fill in the mix.
I have 4 or 5 York Audio cabs, but don't remember seeing one attributed to Phil X...which one is that?

Back
Top Bottom