The Deadly Dual Amp Thread

Quick question when using hard panned dual amps....

The rest of my band are only using mono for their IEMs / monitors. If I'm feeding the mixer a stereo signal, they will only hear the left channel in their aux outs.... correct?
This sounds correct unless you sum up the L+R before it goes to the mixer.

This sounds correct unless you sum up the L+R before it goes to the mixer.
Cheers!

I'm trying to work out the best way to set it all up; I'm the only one with a stereo mix for my IEMs, and I just send a stereo signal to the mixer for FoH.

Cheers!

I'm trying to work out the best way to set it all up; I'm the only one with a stereo mix for my IEMs, and I just send a stereo signal to the mixer for FoH.
I'd add: I don't use IEM's, so hopefully someone who does will respond with better help.

Are you sending one stereo signal to one channel in the IEM mixer? If there were two channels, L&R, you could have more control on how your stereo signal is distributed in the IEM mix of the band. May be a mixing PITA, but if you're doing the mixing, then all the better. I take it some band members prefer your signal or theirs panned to one side?

I'd add: I don't use IEM's, so hopefully someone who does will respond with better help.

Are you sending one stereo signal to one channel in the IEM mixer? If there were two channels, L&R, you could have more control on how your stereo signal is distributed in the IEM mix of the band. May be a mixing PITA, but if you're doing the mixing, then all the better. I take it some band members prefer your signal or theirs panned to one side?
Basically, I'm sending a stereo signal (so both L out and R out via the XLRs on OUTPUT 1) to the desk. Both bands have digital mixers - one is a Mackie DL806, the other is. Behringer of some kind - and you can assign the AUX outs as needed. However, there's not enough to give everyone a stereo output (I've bagsied it for me anyway).

I just want to be sure that there won't be any weird phase issues if people only have one mono out for monitoring, and they'll be able to at least hear one amp all the time (I have it currently that the left amp is always on, and I kick in the right amp as needed).

Hopefully that makes sense...?

Basically, I'm sending a stereo signal (so both L out and R out via the XLRs on OUTPUT 1) to the desk. Both bands have digital mixers - one is a Mackie DL806, the other is. Behringer of some kind - and you can assign the AUX outs as needed. However, there's not enough to give everyone a stereo output (I've bagsied it for me anyway).

I just want to be sure that there won't be any weird phase issues if people only have one mono out for monitoring, and they'll be able to at least hear one amp all the time (I have it currently that the left amp is always on, and I kick in the right amp as needed).

Hopefully that makes sense...?
Isn’t this a problem for anyone who is monitoring in stereo and the FOH? Only left ear / speaker has guitar and the right keeps going in and out.

Isn’t this a problem for anyone who is monitoring in stereo and the FOH? Only left ear / speaker has guitar and the right keeps going in and out.
Not sure it's a 'problem' per se - I'm aiming to use dual amps and cabs to simulate two guitarists and to thicken the sound. 90% of the time, the dual amps will always be on (with the left one ALWAYS being on, to ensure those monitoring in mono hear a guitar all the time).

Hi all....I have decided to share my current and entire list of dual amp combos.

The first on the list was inspired by @Moondog Wily and another by Leon Todd @2112 - Ubertomica. Others are mine, or I can't remember where they came from... lol. All, however, are proven goodness that I use regularly.

Unfortunately, you are going to see a lot of 3rd-party IR's in there. I included the names, though, so that you might try to find alternatives in your collection or amongst the factory cabs.

Attachments

• HereToday's Dual Amp Presets.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 38
Hi all....I have decided to share my current and entire list of dual amp combos.

The first on the list was inspired by @Moondog Wily and another by Leon Todd @2112 - Ubertomica. Others are mine, or I can't remember where they came from... lol. All, however, are proven goodness that I use regularly.

Unfortunately, you are going to see a lot of 3rd-party IR's in there. I included the names, though, so that you might try to find alternatives in your collection or amongst the factory cabs.
Glad you were able to find some inspiration in my dual amp setup! In full disclosure, I don't know sh!t other than what I hear and sounds good to ME, which is how I build my stuff!!

On the PDF you attached, all I could see was a white screen when I opened it. I then did a "Select All" and I could see there was text there, but it was in white on a white background so could not be seen. I don't know if anyone else will have the same trouble, but if so, attached is a version of that PDF with the text changed to black.

Thanks for your shout out and the efforts in building this list of tasty amp combos!!!

Attachments

• HereTodaysDualAmpPresets_Modified.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 21
Glad you were able to find some inspiration in my dual amp setup! In full disclosure, I don't know sh!t other than what I hear and sounds good to ME, which is how I build my stuff!!

On the PDF you attached, all I could see was a white screen when I opened it. I then did a "Select All" and I could see there was text there, but it was in white on a white background so could not be seen. I don't know if anyone else will have the same trouble, but if so, attached is a version of that PDF with the text changed to black.

Thanks for your shout out and the efforts in building this list of tasty amp combos!!!

That's weird, I can see text on both pdf's, although yours has black font and mine was white. It had a purple background, which I still see on both files. Maybe I'll post the original spreadsheet if folks continue to have trouble with the pdf file.

Just should add that Bassman and TriAxis Pre you posted is one of my very favorite presets. Wonderful clean tone that takes drive pedals and turns them into some of the best OD/Dist tones I have ever heard. I run my Wampler pedals (Tumnus, Paisley and Sovereign) into that preset and well as the Fractal Metal Zone, and all sound amazing. I am very thankful you shared that combo.

That's weird, I can see text on both pdf's, although yours has black font and mine was white. It had a purple background, which I still see on both files. Maybe I'll post the original spreadsheet if folks continue to have trouble with the pdf file.

Just should add that Bassman and TriAxis Pre you posted is one of my very favorite presets. Wonderful clean tone that takes drive pedals and turns them into some of the best OD/Dist tones I have ever heard. I run my Wampler pedals (Tumnus, Paisley and Sovereign) into that preset and well as the Fractal Metal Zone, and all sound amazing. I am very thankful you shared that combo.
I converted it to excel but couldn't attach it here due to extension restraints. Here's a jpeg of it. Thanks for the list!

Attachments

• HereToday's Dual Amp Patches List.jpg
    HereToday's Dual Amp Patches List.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 40

Interesting, never saw any purple background when I opened it! Perhaps that is a setting in my Adobe Creative Cloud Acrobat (Adobe's PDF program) setup!! All good, we now have a PDF and a JPG of it in addition to the original!! Thanks again for the efforts and glad you find that combo useful, it is all I am using right now in my kitchen sink preset!!!

Thank you !
Curious, have you used them live with a stereo feed going to FOH? I’ve always used dual amps through headphones, cause I’m never really sure how they translate.

Thank you !
Curious, have you used them live with a stereo feed going to FOH? I’ve always used dual amps through headphones, cause I’m never really sure how they translate.

Most translate very well, I intiially set them all up using a set of headphone or my monitors.

I run them all ,though, through a stereo PA up to about 90 dB. Most usually require a little tweaking to sound good cranked, but I can't remember any of them requiring a lot of adjustment except for Rocket to Ruin. That's my Ramones preset so it only sounds good dimed and cranked. Lol. Some, like the '59 TriBass and Modern Classiness sound good at any volume.

Yes. He calls it LT Brit 412 and shared it in a preset in post #30. He also has several Brit 412 IR's shared here. I just don't know which one it is, or perhaps a blend of several. It kicks ass though and I love using in combination with his TV Mix IR.

@2112 in case Leon wants to comment.
Thanks, I had all the ones in the second link and that Uber bundle. So, I will try the one in the Uber bundle.
Thanks!

Thanks, I had all the ones in the second link and that Uber bundle. So, I will try the one in the Uber bundle.
Thanks!

Re-reading Leon's post #30, it looks to me like it may be a blend of different IR's from his Brit collection with a bit of tone match in there as well?

For something gorgeous:

Use a analog stereo chorus in front of both amps.

In amp block (important!) set Amp 1 to input LEFT (not L+R/Stereo).

Set Amp 2 input to RIGHT.

Son’t worry about panning the amp block.

Then in Cab 1 behind Amp 1, pan all the cab IRs used hard left, AND the output (balance) hard left.

In Cab 2 behind Amp 2, pan all Cab IRs used hard right, and the out balance hard right.

Now, if you have a “go to” amp setting for each amps, you may see the combined sound is too hot/loud. Just lower each Cab 1 and Cab 2 level from 0db to -3db. Then balance the two amps using the Amp level.

Yields lovely stereo chorus over the two amps, preserved L/R for adding stereo delay after. To me it’s different than putting the chorus after the amp. Nice!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom