The Deadly Dual Amp Thread

Holy smokes!......didn't think it could get any better, but changed over to a couple of FAS models, and behold!!
I guess I'm a noob...how do you import a bundle? I was not able to do it in Axe Edit:

1655407727069.png

I was on the Preset screen.

I always like to see what others are doing and compare to what I have. Thanks for sharing!

I think all you have to do is click on the preset menu, and then click “import preset”, just like that message says.

I am using the USA Pre Clean and the 59 Bassguy Bright in parallel. I then use 2 cabs (2x12 Jazz 120 160A and 4x12 TV RNR B Rev), one panned hard left, the other hard right. I did not choose these amps/cabs based on anything other than playing with hundreds of combinations and finding what I thought sounded good, then tweaked to taste! Source (90% of the time) is PRS McCarty 594 HBII.

Awesome thread!

As the only guitarist in my 2 bands, I've been thinking of doing something like this, with 2 hard panned amps and cabs, and kicking in the second amp for more impact. I'm a Marshall Plexi player, but will have to play around with some combinations. Thankfully the Turbo just arrived, so the sky's the limit :D

Cameron ccv 2c with york audio fdmn phil X IR hard panned to the left and USA IIc++ with york audio mesa OS v2 mix01 + york audio mesa trad mix 01 hard panned right.. my best hi-gain patch.. it’s so good I have to play it everyday... this combo lefts my real cabs collecting dust 😌

Last edited:
The rick with Dual Amping is to treat the 2 as one single NEW amp, shift EQ's Drive etc in a see saw manner, drop the mids out of one and lift the upper mids in the other etc, like baking a cake
This is what Joe Bonamassa does or maybe did. It's been a while since I looked into what he's using. But for a while he used a Jubilee and what described as a 'fender type' amp. He said he'd turn the mids up, bass & treb down on the Marshall and do the opposite with the 'fender type'. I've tried it a couple of times using the AxeIII, but never got the same results. There's a chirp he gets that I attribute to the headroom of the clean amp. I know he used a two more amps in his rig, but those were mainly to get different flavors. The Jubilee was the amp that was always on. Looking back at the BBC days, he never really went with a clean tone which has always been surprising to me. I figured he could drop out the Jubilee and mix the other amps for a big SRV type tone.

I'd like to nail that tone and a tone like Stone Temple Pilot's - Dean DeLeo, where he uses a AC-30 for the clean top end. I think the DeLeo tone would be easier to accomplish if I put a bit more effort. It should work nicely with Thornbuckers, Burstbuckers or any other low/med output PAF style pickup.

I do have a Tyler Grund SRV preset that I created (by watching his videos on how to) that gets me close to SRV. It's a dual amp preset. Wonder that that guy is up to nowadays?

Finally had time to play around with this -I've also added a 100% wet mono delay after one of the amps and cabs, set to around 25ms.
So far, I'm liking the 1959SLP Jumped and Tucana Lead together, and the JCM800 #34 with the Solo100 Lead.

However, how are you all balancing levels? I have a mixer block they both go into, and hard pan left and right for each row. But when I mute one amp, the other seems much quieter - and when I kick the other in, they both increase. Is that normal?

Also tried with the Mimiq pedal after the cabs and mixer.

1655732251539.png

Oh man. That is one great preset! Thank you for sharing.
Hey, thanks man. Now with the beta out, Iv’e been adding about a 6.5 setting of ”thump” to both amps and liking it alot! Oh, one other thing is,
if you lower the gain to about 5.5 on the amps…..you get just about the same tone with lots less noise. 👍

Finally had time to play around with this -I've also added a 100% wet mono delay after one of the amps and cabs, set to around 25ms.
So far, I'm liking the 1959SLP Jumped and Tucana Lead together, and the JCM800 #34 with the Solo100 Lead.

However, how are you all balancing levels? I have a mixer block they both go into, and hard pan left and right for each row. But when I mute one amp, the other seems much quieter - and when I kick the other in, they both increase. Is that normal?

Also tried with the Mimiq pedal after the cabs and mixer.

View attachment 103747
I’m currently using a mixer block too, assigning an expression pedal to control row 1 and row 2 gain, one of them with the start/end points flipped so I can easily tweak my mix as I test.

I first set the output level with one of the rows on 100%, then the other amp on 100%, that way when I sweep the expression pedal, it seems like I keep a consistent preset level

Apologies if this isn't the best place to ask, but just coming back to my post about using two amps and cabs in parallel and then into a mixer block - is anyone else using a delay after one of the cabs to create a wider stereo image? My mono delay is 100% wet and set to 25ms. Sounded pretty good at rehearsal last night, but curious if that's a good approach or not (i.e. does having it at 100% wet have any negative impact on tone etc.?).

Also, that was using the 1959SLP and the Carol Ann Tucana models. Sounded chuffing awesome!

Apologies if this isn't the best place to ask, but just coming back to my post about using two amps and cabs in parallel and then into a mixer block - is anyone else using a delay after one of the cabs to create a wider stereo image? My mono delay is 100% wet and set to 25ms. Sounded pretty good at rehearsal last night, but curious if that's a good approach or not (i.e. does having it at 100% wet have any negative impact on tone etc.?).

Also, that was using the 1959SLP and the Carol Ann Tucana models. Sounded chuffing awesome!
Depends on situatuon I guess, but, in my music room, I love a 20ms 100% wet / no dry delay before one side only of dual hard panned amps and cabs. Even better, mono mimic pedal 100% wet / no dry in the same position instead of delay. Ether also works after single amp and before dual hard panned cabs but isn't as pronounced.

Have you tried the patch I posted? It doesn’t use a mixer block, but might give you some ideas for some serious stereo goodness. :)

This is what Joe Bonamassa does or maybe did. It's been a while since I looked into what he's using. But for a while he used a Jubilee and what described as a 'fender type' amp. He said he'd turn the mids up, bass & treb down on the Marshall and do the opposite with the 'fender type'. I've tried it a couple of times using the AxeIII, but never got the same results. There's a chirp he gets that I attribute to the headroom of the clean amp. I know he used a two more amps in his rig, but those were mainly to get different flavors. The Jubilee was the amp that was always on. Looking back at the BBC days, he never really went with a clean tone which has always been surprising to me. I figured he could drop out the Jubilee and mix the other amps for a big SRV type tone.

I'd like to nail that tone and a tone like Stone Temple Pilot's - Dean DeLeo, where he uses a AC-30 for the clean top end. I think the DeLeo tone would be easier to accomplish if I put a bit more effort. It should work nicely with Thornbuckers, Burstbuckers or any other low/med output PAF style pickup.

I do have a Tyler Grund SRV preset that I created (by watching his videos on how to) that gets me close to SRV. It's a dual amp preset. Wonder that that guy is up to nowadays?
Hey man, yeah good call thats what i do to dual amps aswell settings wise.
Yeah the Tyler Grund SRV video was awesome got me looking into the AxeFX at that time he posted it.
I made some more SRV presets afterwards, Dumbles with Super Reverb/Vibroverbs is phenomenal^^

Back
Top Bottom