The Deadly Dual Amp Thread

HereToday

Experienced
Hey guys. I wanted to start a thread for all you dual ampers out there and give us a much needed distraction. No rules...just share an amp combo that has worked out really well for you and maybe a little bit about the combo's intended purpose. If you feel up to it, share some settings or even a preset.

I'll get us started... I run a Severe 2 and a SLO 100 Rhythm for some really high gain stuff. The Slo goes into 4x12 Rumble IRs and the Severe goes into a Sinmix Uber cab IR. I run some compression to add sustain although you won't really need any more out of this combo. No drive pedals required or desired either. A high pass to help tame a bit of the rumble.

I know there are some Tweed and Dumble guys out there. Give it to us!

This is extremely my thing, but I am still a new Turbo owner and still learning the ropes. Both of the above comport with one my my favorite experiences putting a pair of Soldanos together in stereo. The two different modded JCM800s. A pair of Friedmans. All of them just slay and I haven't even tweaked them to death yet.

Watching this one with great interest. Thanks @HereToday!

I have several. They all get me to the same place. When I was a kid I always wanted to have a Fender Twin on a 4 x 12 and a Marshall 2 x 12 Combo on a 4 x 12. So...
I run dual amps on every preset. One clean and one dirty. I use the mixer and a EV1 to go back and forth.

Band Commander / Friedman HBE V2
Matchless / Marshall Silver or Brown
I tend to swap out the dirty amp more than the clean. I just really like the Band Commander.

Marshall 2203 (AKA JCM800, except that's an amp range, not an amp) into G12H30 75Hz + Vox AC30 into (ideally blue) Bulldogs. Works in real life, works in the Axe FX III.

Don't expect any sparkly clean cleans. Do expect some dynamic range, especially when augmented by good drive and fuzz options up front.

Liam

My main distorted sound is Friedman BE C45 hard to the left, Dizzy V4 Silver 2 hard to the right. Both go into ML's free "BEST IR IN THE WORLD" cab. PEQ before and after the blocks give me tone that 16 year old me would be amazed that I could get. Somehow I still keep tweaking it instead of practicing to actually get good at the instrument that plugs into this device.

My main distorted sound is Friedman BE C45 hard to the left, Dizzy V4 Silver 2 hard to the right. Both go into ML's free "BEST IR IN THE WORLD" cab. PEQ before and after the blocks give me tone that 16 year old me would be amazed that I could get. Somehow I still keep tweaking it instead of practicing to actually get good at the instrument that plugs into this device.
Where do I find the "MLs best IR?

I bought a 2nd FM3 so I could do the dual-amp, wet/dry thing. Most of my usage is
live at rehearsal volumes in a full mix. I run each FM3 independently and in parallel to
separate amps/cabs on opposites of the room.

Started with the Adam Jones inspired Marshall/Diezel pairing. Even copped some settings
and tried to get close. No Superbass model so I found that an 800 worked with the VH4
Channel 3 really well, though I have also used a Plexi 100 and Plexi 50 in place of the 800.

Bogner Euro/Ecstasy Red makes a nice pair with the VH4 Channel 3. Have also paired the Red
and Blue channels with various other amps.

Vox AC30 with a Fender Tweed is really special for those not so heavy vibes. Think Daniel Lanois.

Mesa Dual Rec (I prefer the Orange) with an 800 is really cool. Kind of Ty Tabor-esque era Dogman.

Vox AC30 with a Marshall Mod800 for that Dean DeLeo STP style thing. No Demeter preamp, so
the Marshall stands in for that.

I feel like pairing a brighter amp with a darker amp (Dual Rec dark/800 bright) is what works for
me. I try to stay away from pairing two amps of the same type. Also differences in gain levels is
something I shoot for. Gives more variation in texture and clarity to run one amp with less gain
than the other.

It's so much FUN!! It's like having the use of salt and pepper when cooking instead of just salt. :)

Last edited:
I've never used dual amps much, mainly because when I've tried it I find them too hard to dial in.

But I do like the "Jim and Leo" preset a lot.

I've never used dual amps much, mainly because when I've tried it I find them too hard to dial in.

But I do like the "Jim and Leo" preset a lot.

I found the same thing, but then realised I wasn't changing the bypass mode to mute. Cooper's Fractal Friday video on the subject is a quick, but very useful watch.

I bought a 2nd FM3 so I could do the dual-amp, wet/dry thing. Most of my usage is
live at rehearsal volumes in a full mix. I run each FM3 independently and in parallel to
separate amps/cabs on opposites of the room.

Started with the Adam Jones inspired Marshall/Diezel pairing. Even copped some settings
and tried to get close. No Superbass model so I found that an 800 worked with the VH4
Channel 3 really well, though I have also used a Plexi 100 and Plexi 50 in place of the 800.

Bogner Euro/Ecstasy Red makes a nice pair with the VH4 Channel 3. Have also paired the Red
and Blue channels with various other amps.

Vox AC30 with a Fender Tweed is really special for those not so heavy vibes. Think Daniel Lanois.

Mesa Dual Rec (I prefer the Orange) with an 800 is really cool. Kind of Ty Tabor-esque era Dogman.

Vox AC30 with a Marshall Mod800 for that Dean DeLeo STP style thing. No Demeter preamp, so
the Marshall stands in for that.

I feel like pairing a brighter amp with a darker amp (Dual Rec dark/800 bright) is what works for
me. I try to stay away from pairing two amps of the same type. Also differences in gain levels is
something I shoot for. Gives more variation in texture and clarity to run one amp with less gain
than the other.

It's so much FUN!! It's like having the use of salt and pepper when cooking instead of just salt. :)

Our interests overlap quite a bit. I have been wanting to build a Lanois-inspired preset for some time and finally did it yesterday. Running a Class A 30 TB into Top boost blue and silver a Deluxe Tweed into 1x12 Tweed Mix and 1x12 Tweed 57 E. I was going to try out some more third party IR's, but I don't think I can really improve on this!

Today, I hope to find some free time to build a STP-inspired preset. Thanks for getting me off my butt!

Back
Top Bottom