The Darkness Tone

Superska

Hello there, newbie here.
I've just received my Axe Fx III a couple of days ago! It's my first FAS product!
I'm going to join a Darkness tribute band and I'm tryin' to get their guitar tone.
The amp they used in their first album is the THD Univalve and I tried to replicate that tone (especially comparing with "Black Shuck" intro) with some modeled Marshall amps and cabs or Mesa cabs but the sound it's always too fat even though all the tweak!
Unfortunately I don't own a LP but a PRS Custom 22!
Can anyone help me with some suggestion?
Thank you very much.
Nick

A quick search on the internet and I found no real credibility to the claim that they used a THD for that album. Meaning, I can't find any article, interview or video where Dan, Justin or their techs talk about using a THD on that album. Just some guy saying it on a forum and then it spread. My bet is still on Marshalls.

Its a Marshall , Likely a Jcm800 , into a greenback , perhaps a tubescreamer or treble booster hitting front of amp . its similar to Airbourne or the Cult a very loud Jcm800

Yes, someone wrote on a forum they've used the THD, however I've actually started dialig in with Plexi or Jcm 800 with YA checkmate greenback cab pack but it's not the same tone. Not so bright, even with TB or TS!!! Too fatty!!!

Last edited:
Yes, someone wrote on a forum they've used the THD, however I've actually started dialig in with Plexi or Jcm 800 with YA checkmate greenback cab pack but it's not the same tone. Not so bright, even with TB or TS!!! Too fatty!!!
Throw an EQ block tafter he cab block, or use the EQ in the amp or cab block and adjust to taste. You can also cut some low end going into the amp if the tone isn't "stringy" enough.

Last edited:
I tried TS but the tone become fatter!!! I'm now tryin' with Plexi 2204 with YA greenback SM57 IR and Treble Boost and it's a little bit better. I'll share a short record of it

I tried TS but the tone become fatter!!! I'm now tryin' with Plexi 2204 with YA greenback SM57 IR and Treble Boost and it's a little bit better. I'll share a short record of it
I’m getting really close with the 2204, no tube screamer, and blending the M25-1 57 1E with 57 CE E and dropping CE E about 6db (which is like virtually moving the mic between those two positions).

Input Drive 6, Bass 4, Mid 3, Treb 7, presence 7, master 7.5.

Cab Block low cut 70 Hz and high cut 20k.

Obviously, tweak so it sounds right with your guitar and your hands, but that’s nailing it pretty close over here with my Les Paul. Hopefully that will get you a little closer.

I’m getting really close with the 2204, no tube screamer, and blending the M25-1 57 1E with 57 CE E and dropping CE E about 6db (which is like virtually moving the mic between those two positions).

Input Drive 6, Bass 4, Mid 3, Treb 7, presence 7, master 7.5.

Cab Block low cut 70 Hz and high cut 20k.

Obviously, tweak so it sounds right with your guitar and your hands, but that’s nailing it pretty close over here with my Les Paul. Hopefully that will get you a little closer.
Hi Justin,
thank you so much for the suggestion, your IR's are amazing!!!
I was actually really close with my previous settings (like yours except: drive and presence at 4, M25-1 57 1C and TB).
I've just tried 57 1E and CE E (-6dB) and It's even closer, but I have to keep the Treble Booster on or it pulls out.
I think I'm satisfied with it, thank you all so much for the suggestions!!!

Huge fan of The Darkness and love their guitar tone!

Your clip above sounds pretty good. The only thing I noticed is the low mids sound a bit too hairy. I would maybe try to eq out a bit of the low mids before the amp block to clean them up.

if you look closely at their onstage rigs the singer actually plays through a Mesa Recto of some sort, the other guy is the one playing through Marshalls. I've watched several live videos of them and the singer always has that Recto up there

The Grinder as a Boost cuts a lot of lows.. also if ya go to the Input EQ Page in the Amp Block the Definition parameter is a nice tilt EQ, that might also give ya another place to tweak, plus ya have a parametric in there as well.

Search «Darkness rig rundown » on YouTube (sorry can’t post link b.c. I’m new to the forum as well). There’s a vid with loads of info there if you haven’t seen it. Dan says he’s running the LP straight to a Plexi for rhythm, kicks on the TS for leads. You can see his pedal settings as well. Your sample sounds nice, if anything it sounds a little scooped to my ears compared to the record - maybe push the mids up some in post EQ and cut lows a pinch. Tone match sounds like a good suggestion. Good luck with your tribute, the Darkness are awesome!

I tried with Tone Match but something's gone wrong!!!
Anyway, changing IR's as suggested by YA and tweaking a little bit with drive and low mids I'm now very close to the original tone!
Here's a clip:

Back
Top Bottom