The Cygnus amps

Tonto83

hey everyone,

Wanting to hear what your using for amps with Cygnus, the jm45 and the plexi's are really close to the sound ive been chasing and I'm spending hrs with em.

Just the tip of the ice berg! Share your thoughts and ideas on improvements here and let everyone know the amps you favour

So.....I've been on a Judas Priest kick lately and trying to shoot for that late 70s Tipton tone. I've read that early on, Glenn used Plexis along with a Treble Booster. To that end, I've been messing with and enjoying this combo very much:

Amp - Plexi 50W Normal
Cab - LT TV Mix 2 - Thank you Leon!
Drive - Treble Boost
Reverb - London Plate
Delay - Stereo BBD

I keep the delay off for rhythm. The Plexi by itself does not sound like Priest at all, but as soon as you kick in the Treble Boost, it kicks ass.

Next I'd like to see if I can approximate an earlier Priest tone (Sin After Sin, Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class). I've tried a little and haven't gotten there yet. If anyone else has tried this, any ideas would be appreciated.

So.....I've been on a Judas Priest kick lately and trying to shoot for that late 70s Tipton tone. I've read that early on, Glenn used Plexis along with a Treble Booster. To that end, I've been messing with and enjoying this combo very much:

Amp - Plexi 50W Normal
Cab - LT TV Mix 2 - Thank you Leon!
Drive - Treble Boost
Reverb - London Plate
Delay - Stereo BBD

I keep the delay off for rhythm. The Plexi by itself does not sound like Priest at all, but as soon as you kick in the Treble Boost, it kicks ass.

Next I'd like to see if I can approximate an earlier Priest tone (Sin After Sin, Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class). I've tried a little and haven't gotten there yet. If anyone else has tried this, any ideas would be appreciated.
please keep me posted, i love old priest!

No idea if it was updated or not but I'm just loving the Mesa IIC++, just upgraded this week from an AxeFx2 and I loved the IIC++ on that too but on Cygnus on the 3 its addictive!!

My new go to is Leon Todd's 'LT Lead Delays' preset on Axe-Change. I believe its a Mesa Boogie MKIV amp. Warning: when palm muting, brace yourself because the gut punch is gloriously violent! Also, the Cameron CCV, Cornfed M50 and Solo 100 are a few amps I hadn't spent much time on that now sound ridiculously good.

That Friedman BE V1 though. I didn't like the Friedmans very much prior to Cygnus. They were very dark and wooly. They sound killer now.

That Friedman BE V1 though. I didn't like the Friedmans very much prior to Cygnus. They were very dark and wooly. They sound killer now.
In Cygnus all the Fridman BE models are based on the 2018 version now, which were less muddy sounding in general.

Wrecker Liverpool and 5153 Blue have been very inspirational. I’ve never given the Friedman’s time yet but that is on my short list. So much to learn, so little time....

I've been using the fas brootalz with a blend of ml sound labs 5153 57 c and the hair metal 421 e and its sooo good im noticing its not as harsh in the high end compared to earlier firmwares and has way more bloom in the low end! I'm tuned in a double drop c varient and it's crazy how much more tightness I'm getting out of the low end

MkIV, Triaxis green and yellow, JCM 800 but the cake goes to the Tweed. Overall the cleans are amazing and I find I'm using less gain for rhythms and far more gain than I would before on leads, especially with the Triaxis. Like bacon grease with bits in it.

I am pretty sure @2112 works quite simple. He has a few IRs that he loves, resets the amp and starts turning the knobs on the basic page. Then he has a few tweaks he likes to try on the advanced pages. You can watch the 5 minute tone series to get tips on these.

Pretty much! I find with each successive firmware or modelling update everything gets a little quicker and easier to dial in.

Back
Top Bottom