Classes The Complete Axe-Fx III Master Class with Cooper Carter - v3.0 AVAILABLE NOW!

Classes for rent or purchase related to Fractal Audio equipment.
I'm one that would greatly prefer to download, for a number of reasons.
I could put it on my media player and watch it as I go to bed.
I could put in on my ipad and watch it when I'm traveling.
Though I can watch it on my computer, I work on it so much I would much rather watch it elsewhere.

This does not have to be streamed live. When you purchase the class you get unlimited access to all of the sections as many times as you want, forever, as well as downloads of every preset. You can go back and watch the parts as many times as you want, whenever you want.

My original plan months ago was to have the class available for download, but the hosting service I went with does not allow downloads for videos in online courses. I do certainly understand that some people would rather watch this without internet access, on the plane for example. I am currently talking with the host about options, but I must admit, I am swayed by their arguments as to why they don't offer downloading, namely piracy, as others in this thread have pointed out. Yes, @dpeterson technically anything that comes into your computer can be captured, given enough effort, but the barrier to entry for this inarguably cuts down on piracy.

Ok...I can deal with that. NP. The cost of your knowledge is very fair for this IMO. You always play and speak well and have insight that is invaluable to us Fractalites. Thanks for doing what you do!

Please let the rest of us know what you think...

Just got the Cooper Carter Axe III tutorial and though I have only watched the first couple of vids - particularly the ‘clean’ sound and the ‘edge of breakup’ which is what I’m interested in. He doesn’t give much time on the actual quality of the amp but throws reverb, chorus and delay at it, so much in fact that you could spoon out of the speaker. Both the ‘clean’ and ‘edge of breakup’ are swimming or should I say drowning in effects - it seems all the nuances of the amp and cab has been lost. Is this the norm? Is this what everyone does? am I missing something? To be honest I was kind of hoping it was going to be about ‘tone’ and not trying to hide your sound behind reverb, delay and chorus. So for this is only useful if you are in a Police tribute band..... hope it gets better.

Just got the Cooper Carter Axe III tutorial and though I have only watched the first couple of vids - particularly the ‘clean’ sound and the ‘edge of breakup’ which is what I’m interested in. He doesn’t give much time on the actual quality of the amp but throws reverb, chorus and delay at it, so much in fact that you could spoon out of the speaker. Both the ‘clean’ and ‘edge of breakup’ are swimming or should I say drowning in effects - it seems all the nuances of the amp and cab has been lost. Is this the norm? Is this what everyone does? am I missing something? To be honest I was kind of hoping it was going to be about ‘tone’ and not trying to hide your sound behind reverb, delay and chorus. So for this is only useful if you are in a Police tribute band..... hope it gets better.

Stick with it. It sounds like the later sections on dialing in an amp in the room, tweaking advanced amp parameters, and using multiple amps are going to be more up your alley.

I definitely like the image of being able to spoon reverbs out of the speaker. Lush, ambient cleans definitely bring that to mind :)

Stick with it. It sounds like the later sections on dialing in an amp in the room, tweaking advanced amp parameters, and using multiple amps are going to be more up your alley.

I definitely like the image of being able to spoon reverbs out of the speaker. Lush, ambient cleans definitely bring that to mind :)

Thanks for the reply - i’m sure it will be good as i progress - it’s well put together and the pace is excellent....
Am i the only one that only uses a ‘bit’ of reverb and a ‘bit’ of slap-back delay? oh and a ‘smattering’ of chorus.

Thanks for the reply - i’m sure it will be good as i progress - it’s well put together and the pace is excellent....
Am i the only one that only uses a ‘bit’ of reverb and a ‘bit’ of slap-back delay? oh and a ‘smattering’ of chorus.

In my experience, if you dial in a raw tone right, you'll actually need *more* reverb and delay live and on records than you might think listening to the tone alone.

Getting hold of stem tracks from your favorite records for the first time is a business class ticket to being shocked at how wet everything is (guitars, certainly, vocals even more so).

And I've ended up being asked more times than I can count to bump delays, reverbs, and modulation effect mixes up at least 5% after we've dialed in tones solo in studio sessions. Once the band shows up and we're in production rehearsals or the first real sound check, everything gets much wetter (and usually a good bit gainier, too). So this is what I dial with a mind toward.

As long as your base tone has enough cut (midrange, sizzle, etc.), you'll probably end up using more FX mix than you first thought you needed.

I firmly believe that most people tend to dial down effects mainly because their base dry tone isn't really dialed in that well to cut in the first place. As I talk about in the class many times, the tone that really gets you going when you're cranked up alone and shredding solo is oftentimes not (read, almost never) a perfect tone for a mix, whether live or on a record. The "right" tone for your track or live mix will never get lost in effects until you get to ridiculous levels of wetness, which if I had to throw out a number from experience usually tends to be around 35%+.

Last edited:
In my experience, if you dial in a raw tone right, you'll actually need *more* reverb and delay live and on records than you might think listening to the tone alone.

Getting hold of stem tracks from your favorite records for the first time is a business class ticket to being shocked at how wet everything is (guitars, certainly, vocals even more so).

And I've ended up being asked more times than I can count to bump delays, reverbs, and modulation effect mixes up at least 5% after we've dialed in tones solo in studio sessions. Once the band shows up and we're in production rehearsals or the first real sound check, everything gets much wetter (and usually a good bit gainier, too). So this is what I dial with a mind toward.

As long as your base tone has enough cut (midrange, sizzle, etc.), you'll probably end up using more FX mix than you first thought you needed.

I firmly believe that most people tend to dial down effects mainly because their base dry tone isn't really dialed in that well to cut in the first place. As I talk about in the class many times, the tone that really gets you going when you're cranked up alone and shredding solo is oftentimes not (read, almost never) a perfect tone for a mix, whether live or on a record. The "right" tone for your track or live mix will never get lost in effects until you get to ridiculous levels of wetness, which if I had to throw out a number from experience usually tends to be around 35%+.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed answer it’s very much appreciated. I will certainly keep this in mind and experiment more with effects taking into account your suggestions and advice... in my eyes you are becoming ‘the man’. Thanks :rolleyes:

I will pay $150 for one 10 minute video that takes the schematic of a Tremoverb, and walks you through advanced amp/preamp parameters of Recto 1 to make it a Tremoverb, circuit-wise, no tone match cheating.

Thanks for the info. I’d prefer the amp tones be covered separately from the effects. For me at least I have decades of knowledge and experience tweaking effects with previous processors. While that might not transfer 100% to the Axe FX, I have a head start. What I don’t have and really need is how to leverage the immense power of it to create any base tones I hear or can think of. For example, and I’ve mentioned this before, Ty Tabor’s tone using the Gibson Lab L5. Without this amp being built in to the Axe, I’ll likely have two wing it using two simultaneous amps tones like I do with my Yamaha THR100HD.

I’ve played many amps with zero effects and I disagree that you must focus on effects to get decent tone when playing live. With recording, effects are often tweaked post capture to finalize the mix.
Effects are just icing on my tone cake... I’m in the mood for King’s X PoundCake.

it seems all the nuances of the amp and cab has been lost.

If you tune the IR, all those effects will be in phase and won't get in the way, they are processing what they get fed, if it's in phase coming out of the cab, the effects will stay in phase the rest of the way through the chain.

Thanks for the info. I’d prefer the amp tones be covered separately from the effects.
I’ve played many amps with zero effects and I disagree that you must focus on effects to get decent tone when playing live. With recording, effects are often tweaked post capture to finalize the mix.
Effects are just icing on my tone cake...

Couldn't agree more. Again, there are two sections that focus only on amps. You'll likely get more out of those. And I'm certainly not advocating for *focusing* on effects to get a decent tone, either live or in the studio. Quite the opposite, my post above was intended to convey that getting the right dry tone is *crucial* to ensuring effects only enhance the sound, and never detract from it, if you are indeed using effects--which many, many people are.

As for recording, the Reamping section demonstrates just how easy the III makes it to do exactly what you mention--tweaking effects in post and not committing to any effects at all until right before the final mix.

Couldn't agree more. Again, there are two sections that focus only on amps. You'll likely get more out of those. And I'm certainly not advocating for *focusing* on effects to get a decent tone, either live or in the studio. Quite the opposite, my post above was intended to convey that getting the right dry tone is *crucial* to ensuring effects only enhance the sound, and never detract from it, if you are indeed using effects--which many, many people are.

As for recording, the Reamping section demonstrates just how easy the III makes it to do exactly what you mention--tweaking effects in post and not committing to any effects at all until right before the final mix.
Well, now you done it.... I may be won over. Thanks for responding in a meaningful way. I really appreciate that.

Hey, Cooper. Thanks for the hard work!

Maybe it's me, but are the last 5 videos yet to be uploaded? If so, what's the ETA?

Hey Cooper. Always love what you do for the community brother. Sayin that, I don't have the need nor the time do the whole masterclass. I know exactly what I want/need as Fractal has been my fly rig for years now. If you should ever offer "modules", I would be down, as I am only interested in 2 or 3 of them, respectfully speaking of course. Maybe you offer them at $20 a pop and get more business from someone like me. I am sure there are folks willing to pay 50 or 60 bucks for a few modules versus $120 for a package that only the same modules would ever be looked at. Maybe my drug flashbacks from the 80's are jackin' with me, but that's my thought......Just sayin;)

Back
Top Bottom