• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Vendor The Complete Axe-Fx III Master Class with Cooper Carter - v2.0 UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE

Fletch

Just wanted to sincerely thank @ccroyalsenders. The course is amazing! As someone who is new to Fractal and the FX3, this course is a must have. You get to truly unlock the power of the FX3 and really appreciate its potential as well as admire Cooper’s playing. It’s put together very professionally and I love how it’s broken up. I cannot endorse this enough.

Rich5150

Inspired
I just went through the part where you can change scene's with a DAW again, I tried it before but couldn't get it to work finally got it and it is pretty cool to play through a tune and not have to hit a switch

ccroyalsenders

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Just wanted to sincerely thank @ccroyalsenders. The course is amazing! As someone who is new to Fractal and the FX3, this course is a must have. You get to truly unlock the power of the FX3 and really appreciate its potential as well as admire Cooper’s playing. It’s put together very professionally and I love how it’s broken up. I cannot endorse this enough.
Thank you so much for this great review! So glad it's been a useful tool for you! Some new updates coming soon!!

DougB415

Inspired
I'm trying to login. Says my p/w is wrong, so I did the reset. Now it says, "Session expired". If I click on the help box in the lower right corner, I get this message: "Something's not right, we'll be right back"

EDIT - everything is working again. Yay!

Last edited:

ccroyalsenders

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
@ccroyalsenders any ETA on the FM3 Master Class? And would one benefit from it if they already went through the Axe-FX III course?
The class is in the works, but it will be at least until the main production run until it is released. As with the Axe-Fx III class, waiting until several months after the product release allows the firmware to mature sufficiently to give the class fairly long legs.

As to benefit, that's really up to you. There will be a significant amount that is different, and a significant amount that is the same.

Matt007

Inspired
+100 for Cooper’s class. I feel much more confident with the device.

I did take my III to rehearsal last night for the first time and really struggled cutting through the mix. Would love help!

I use an SD Power Stage to a Matrix NL12 cab.

Using the same presets I made in the class, which sounded amazing on my studio monitors at home, my tone was muddy and missing punch and clarity. Definitely wet blanket-ish. I was bypassing cabs and going through Output 2 to the real cab.

My bandmate was using a cheap, solid state Fender Champ 100 and his tone was cutting through the the mix great and was super punchy.

Anyone struggled with the same thing? I know the tones are in there and it’s on me, but was really surprised.

Thanks as always!

Jarick

Experienced
The recommendation is to try and dial in patches as close to band volume as you can get. At low volumes our ears hear midrange a lot better than high and low end. So if you are dialing in patches at low volume then turn them up to band volumes, you will likely have way too much bass and high end which could come across as muddy and disappearing in the mix.

curious

Experienced

I did take my III to rehearsal last night for the first time and really struggled cutting through the mix. Would love help!

Using the same presets I made in the class, which sounded amazing on my studio monitors at home, my tone was muddy and missing punch and clarity. Definitely wet blanket-ish. I was bypassing cabs and going through Output 2 to the real cab.

My bandmate was using a cheap, solid state Fender Champ 100 and his tone was cutting through the the mix great and was super punchy.

Anyone struggled with the same thing? I know the tones are in there and it’s on me, but was really surprised.

Thanks as always!
Basic tricks for cutting tone are:
Use Lo cut in speaker cab to tighten up low register. Typically cut anything lower than 100.
Use Hi Cut to cut spiky and ice pick highs. I set to about 6,500-7,500 depending on amp and cabs
Use compressor cab before amp to make tone bigger (not squishing the tone) almost like a boost.
Use PEQ block after Cab block to reduce 4K Freqs and boost mids. Do this to taste.
IMPORTANT: dial these in at gig level otherwise it will not sound the same
Have a way to control all of the above so you can “stack” them or use them individually. That really helps when the room is too live or dead.
Have fun. Cheers.

PS: Another easy trick that has really worked for me in a pinch is to not be afraid to use the middle or neck pickup to make tone stand out. If you typically use bridge pickup try using middle or neck and see how it affects tone. I find the middle to be a nice balanced tone that cuts nicely. Experiment.

ccroyalsenders

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Basic tricks for cutting tone are:
Use Lo cut in speaker cab to tighten up low register. Typically cut anything lower than 100.
Use Hi Cut to cut spiky and ice pick highs. I set to about 6,500-7,500 depending on amp and cabs
Use compressor cab before amp to make tone bigger (not squishing the tone) almost like a boost.
Use PEQ block after Cab block to reduce 4K Freqs and boost mids. Do this to taste.
IMPORTANT: dial these in at gig level otherwise it will not sound the same
Have a way to control all of the above so you can “stack” them or use them individually. That really helps when the room is too live or dead.
Have fun. Cheers.

PS: Another easy trick that has really worked for me in a pinch is to not be afraid to use the middle or neck pickup to make tone stand out. If you typically use bridge pickup try using middle or neck and see how it affects tone. I find the middle to be a nice balanced tone that cuts nicely. Experiment.
All great suggestions. One simple thing I mention in the class, and I rely on this for almost every preset I use, is a nice little bumb at 1k in the amp input EQ so you're really activating and pushing the amp right in the middle of the guitar sweet spot.

RoketRdr

Inspired

Thanks as always!
The recommendation is to try and dial in patches as close to band volume as you can get. At low volumes our ears hear midrange a lot better than high and low end. So if you are dialing in patches at low volume then turn them up to band volumes, you will likely have way too much bass and high end which could come across as muddy and disappearing in the mix.
What Jarick said. You have to dial in your tone to the venue, volume level and mix. You’re “bedroom” tone won’t cut it in a live mix at your local bar/club. The Fletcher-Munson effect is very real. Also setting high and low pass filters is very key in sitting in the mix properly.

Top Bottom