The coming death of just about every rock legend

I'm not sad that they are dying. It's the cycle of life. As people get older chances increase that they will pass away at some point. I'm glad to have seen several of them. What I'm sad about is the demise of rock, because I'm a rocker, dammit! I don't want my music to fade away from the limelight and become the new jazz.

We're always going to have our community. It may not be the biggest. The popularity of some awesome new album might fall well below that of some Soundcloud mumble rapper. Doesn't mean I'll like it any less.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't really notice rock/metal going away, because I'm still surrounded by it. The people I hang out with, the online forums I'm on, music I listen to daily. Except for churn in the online world, nothing has changed a lot for me in the last 30 years. Sure, there are less live shows to go to, and the stadium rock shows are mostly gone. Hell, I almost like it better now. I saw Judas Priest a few months ago. Instead of playing at some massive arena, it was in the Hard Rock hotel in Vegas. Way better than the last time I saw them.

Every now and then, I'll read about someone dying, and it can be a blow. Keith Emerson's death hit me particularly hard for example. I still celebrate the music though, and I doubt anything about that will change while I'm around. I couldn't care less about whatever new immersive AI-based virtual pop-star thing people get into someday. I didn't listen to it before, don't now, probably won't in the future.

Fortunately, really good jazz is still being invented.

And unfortunately only a handful of people listen to it. A small pittance compared to the golden age of jazz in the 1st half of the century. And I reckon that Rock bares a great share of that blame.

We're always going to have our community. It may not be the biggest. The popularity of some awesome new album might fall well below that of some Soundcloud mumble rapper. Doesn't mean I'll like it any less.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't really notice rock/metal going away, because I'm still surrounded by it. The people I hang out with, the online forums I'm on, music I listen to daily. Except for churn in the online world, nothing has changed a lot for me in the last 30 years.

Maybe this is the difference. I like to hang out with other people, especially young people. To me people of my own age (50) feel and sound like boring old farts. I wouldn't want to be caught dead at a 'Back to the ***ties party. Most of the music I listen too is indeed older stuff, but I would like to hear something new that's good as well. In fact I crave it. I want to be part of a vibrant and growing community, not a retirement community.

Sure, there are less live shows to go to, and the stadium rock shows are mostly gone. Hell, I almost like it better now. I saw Judas Priest a few months ago. Instead of playing at some massive arena, it was in the Hard Rock hotel in Vegas. Way better than the last time I saw them.

I don't know which is sadder, knowing there is a decline and actually being comfortable with it. I'd be depressed as f*** knowing that my band used to fill stadiums but now has to play at a hotel in Vegas. Especially Vegas. That's where Elvis went to become fat and lose his mojo.

Every now and then, I'll read about someone dying, and it can be a blow. Keith Emerson's death hit me particularly hard for example. I still celebrate the music though, and I doubt anything about that will change while I'm around. I couldn't care less about whatever new immersive AI-based virtual pop-star thing people get into someday. I didn't listen to it before, don't now, probably won't in the future.

Well, I do care what is in the charts. Not because I like it, in general it always used to be most shite anyway. But there used to be the occasional gem. Even Iron Maiden and Metallica used to have chart hits. I'd like that variety back, where you had some good rock hits along the pop stuff. Now it's just pop and rap stuff. And Spanish is replacing English as the lingua franca of pop. Not that I am racist, English is not my native language anyway, but English was the language of rock. Spanish, quite the contrary.

But maybe you have the right attitude. The war is over. Game over, man! Game over! Might as well learn to enjoy the decline.

Hey, watch that geezer stuff. I resemble that remark.

If the shoe fits, wear it. :p

And unfortunately only a handful of people listen to it. A small pittance compared to the golden age of jazz in the 1st half of the century. And I reckon that Rock bares a great share of that blame.
A rock guitarist plays three chords in front of thousands of people. A jazz guitarist plays thousands of chords in front of three people.

I'd be depressed as f*** knowing that my band used to fill stadiums but now has to play at a hotel in Vegas. Especially Vegas. That's where Elvis went to become fat and lose his mojo.
A little perspective. 99.9% of guitarists will never even play a stadium, let alone fill one. And of those who did play stadiums, 99.9% of hem won’t have the luxury of a steady Vegas gig, which offers good money and none of the hassles of touring. Most big-name bands fade faster than that. If they’re still together at all, they’re playing local bars in their hometowns.

But maybe you have the right attitude. The war is over. Game over, man! Game over! Might as well learn to enjoy the decline.

Like I said, I'm still doing a lot what I did in the 80s. I go to local shows, sometimes even fly internationally to see bands I like, as a lot of them don't perform here. I even went on a metal cruise a few times, and it was a fucking blast. I still buy new music, and it's easier to find now then before. My social circle is heavy with people in bands, making music, jamming. I've dated enough girls also into it. From my little world perspective, I still see rock/metal alive and well. I guess I'm glad I stay in it and happy than trying to look at all the negative.

Just so I don't appear one sided, I grew up in a household with classical musicians, and when I'm not at rock and metal shows, I'm usually seeing that as well. The current girlfriend was a flautist, and more often than not, if there is music at home, it's classical. It is fun running into some of the same people at those shows that I see at the local metal gigs. I'm not the only one with crossover tastes.

Classical music seems like it's on the way out as well though. Pretty sure people have been saying that for centuries though.

Last edited:
A little perspective. 99.9% of guitarists will never even play a stadium, let alone fill one. And of those who did play stadiums, 99.9% of hem won’t have the luxury of a steady Vegas gig, which offers good money and none of the hassles of touring. Most big-name bands fade faster than that. If they’re still together at all, they’re playing local bars in their hometowns.

Priest isn't camped in Vegas like Celine Dion or something. It was the final show of their Firepower World Tour, where they played 143 shows. Some really big, like Wacken, and some smaller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firepower_World_Tour

Priest is obviously one of the old school bands, but that last album is awesome.

I still think humanity as a whole should all start thinking about the world we're going to leave behind for Keith Richards.
No doubt... roaches often refer to him as being the only competition after a nuclear war.

I've been hearing about Rock being dead since the 60s. Feel free to be the next prognosticator to get it wrong. Again.

[QUOTE="Muad'zin, post: 1828143, member: 48763
If the shoe fits, wear it. :p
[/QUOTE]
I have a daughter your age. I am certainly thankful that we raised her not to be pompous and opinionated. I’m wishing your folks had taken the same approach.

Back
Top Bottom