The coming death of just about every rock legend

What a piece of sh.. article. When talking about rock legends all the author can think of are 60s and 70s artists. What about all the legends from the 80s and 90s ? Yes, there are painful losses ahead of us but we're not yet running out of gas. Just my 0.02$, of course.

What a piece of sh.. article. When talking about rock legends all the author can think of are 60s and 70s artists. What about all the legends from the 80s and 90s ? Yes, there are painful losses ahead of us but we're not yet running out of gas. Just my 0.02$, of course.

I think he's referring to the guitarists who kind of 'defined' rock-n-roll. I agree that there are many great guitarists from the 80's and 90's, but a lot of that music wasn't categorized as rock, rightly or wrongly so. For example, the 80's was known for new wave and the 90's was known more as the grunge era. Regardless, the fact of the matter is, that a large number of era defining guitarists are getting up there in age.

"Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month). ..."

"Behold the killing fields that lie before us: ..."

LOL! ...Boy, Glad I'm not famous!! ..I get to celebrate living life instead of others dwelling on my death. ...mmm ...then ...having said that ... :0)

Time is promised to no-man and death comes to us all. But I'm not sure why dwelling on an individual's death, while those individuals are still around - and in many cases, still kicking ass, and in some cases will outlive people much younger, is worthy of that many column-inches.

I still think humanity as a whole should all start thinking about the world we're going to leave behind for Keith Richards.

Will we be unable to obtain satisfaction at that point since we can't get no?

I agree with the collective sentiment, this article is obtusely morbid. 'Journalists' and 'opinion' authors are grasping at this point. Why not make a tribute piece to these individuals and see if you can ask them questions they haven't had asked of them in 30-50 years of R&R?

Like the world doesnt supply enough bad news on the regular...now we feed the eight second attention span of the masses by anticipating it.

People who create, never go away...we can’t talk to Jimi, but he still speaks to us everyday. The same will be true of everyone on that list and more.

Rock is dead and the old geezers who are still living on have sold the genre for dentures. A lot of them are also some of the biggest blockers on youtube, which further speeds up Rock's demise. Anyway, the biggest tragedy is not the demise and departure of the old guard but the lack of rising of a new guard. There are some great bands and musicians out there, but they are not finding a mass audience. The public has moved on to other genres, and so has the music industry. Only those bands who learn how to master the art of self promotion via youtube and social media will stand a chance.

There are rock legends who will somehow evade death?

Filing for a potential PhD Dissertation Topic: Quantum Physics Grand Unified Theory boundary value hypothesis: estimation of minimum sweep-pick velocity necessary for escape from spacetime continuum, resulting in rock legend immortality. Possible sub-topic: Contribution effect of various Klon pedal models.

Rock is dead and the old geezers who are still living on have sold the genre for dentures. A lot of them are also some of the biggest blockers on youtube, which further speeds up Rock's demise. Anyway, the biggest tragedy is not the demise and departure of the old guard but the lack of rising of a new guard. There are some great bands and musicians out there, but they are not finding a mass audience. The public has moved on to other genres, and so has the music industry. Only those bands who learn how to master the art of self promotion via youtube and social media will stand a chance.
There's the ray of sunshine we all needed! :D

There are rock legends who will somehow evade death?

Filing for a potential PhD Dissertation Topic: Quantum Physics Grand Unified Theory boundary value hypothesis: estimation of minimum sweep-pick velocity necessary for escape from spacetime continuum, resulting in rock legend immortality. Possible sub-topic: Contribution effect of various Klon pedal models.

Well played.

They had their time. Made their mark. Time marches on. Cheers and godspeed.

This may sound callous, but most of these folks are doing retreads of material 50-30 years ago (although Dylan is sort of the oddball here.) Great to see them still in action, but in the end, that guy with the scythe gets us all.

Maybe we don't realize that the era has already ended? That music has moved on for those who cut teeth on those classic bands/songs?

I feel that when I listen to my girls music. Some of it is really good, but the majority doesn't stick in my head as innovative. The lightening bolt of adrenaline I felt when I heard those old songs for the first time.

I miss that 'wow' moment. Daily.

Edit. It's silly article. Don't be sad. Be glad we had them.

They had their time. Made their mark. Time marches on. Cheers and godspeed.

This may sound callous, but most of these folks are doing retreads of material 50-30 years ago (although Dylan is sort of the oddball here.) Great to see them still in action, but in the end, that guy with the scythe gets us all.

Maybe we don't realize that the era has already ended? That music has moved on for those who cut teeth on those classic bands/songs?

I feel that when I listen to my girls music. Some of it is really good, but the majority doesn't stick in my head as innovative. The lightening bolt of adrenaline I felt when I heard those old songs for the first time.

I miss that 'wow' moment. Daily.

I wonder how much of that is because you've gotten older and its the music of the younger generations, how much of it is that its really prepackaged programmed zip files that have been sent across the globe to have carefully crafted hooks and stuff added to them by a few select composers. And how much because in the words of Glenn Fricker we don't hear actual musicians anymore. As everything gets replaced by samples, quantized to a grid and autotuned to death.

(puts on old guy hat) People no longer seem to care anymore if its artificial or real. They'll appreciate a good live performance alright, but they'll have an equally good time with a DJ playing his iPod playlist. Music is just no longer how people define themselves. You used to be able to define people by the bands that they liked. Are you for the Beatles or the Rolling Stones used to be a defining question of the day. To some it still is. Now people define themselves by other activities. Like gaming, or sports. Or effing social media. And music is just something that plays in the background.

Edit. It's silly article. Don't be sad. Be glad we had them.

I'm not sad that they are dying. It's the cycle of life. As people get older chances increase that they will pass away at some point. I'm glad to have seen several of them. What I'm sad about is the demise of rock, because I'm a rocker, dammit! I don't want my music to fade away from the limelight and become the new jazz.

Back
Top Bottom