The CNFB Method

It got implemented in Axe III FW19.

Thats correct​

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Version 19.00 firmware represents the first use of the Chase Nonlinear Feedback (CNFB) technique for the solution of nonlinear ODEs. The power amp algorithm has been completely rewritten using the CNFB method. This provides improved accuracy, especially in the clipping and power supply sag behavior vs. frequency.

If he can prove he had the idea first he will win in court if someone had a patent and claimed he was infringing on it.
exactly. the point I was trying to make is that providing the evidence of prior art is easy if you already have a patent or if you can show corresponding publications, e.g. by making the source public. I don't know if there are any other ways to do it (not being a lawyer).

exactly. the point I was trying to make is that providing the evidence of prior art is easy if you already have a patent or if you can show corresponding publications, e.g. by making the source public. I don't know if there are any other ways to do it (not being a lawyer).
How about talking about it on an Internet forum and writing code for devices with it in the code along with dates it was released.

Here is a descent write up on patents/copyright as applied to software:
https://milleripl.com/blogs/patents/is-software-protected-by-copyrights-or-patents
One thing to think about is, patents and copyrights do eventually expire. I do not believe this would ever be an issue in this instance, but it is the reason that Coca-Cola and KFC have never patented their "secret formulas". Had they done so, competitors would have seen the formula, made slight changes, and then taken business from them. Also, when that patent expires, then anybody can make an exact copy. So, keep the sauce secret or apply for legal protection (copyright and/or patent although copyright to some extent exists the moment it is created)? Considering the speed of the evolution in the digital world (modelers included), I think it would be a waste of time to run the legal protections route, but I too am not a lawyer ;~)) I vote for secret sauce!!!!

possible, but that's the hard way. you might spend years in front of a judge while being ordered to stop selling your product until the case is settled.
I don’t think they’d say to stop selling the product permanently, just temporarily until the code being contested was removed, and by pulling the particular firmware distribution and releasing a “fixed” version until it was settled.

I expect that Cliff is well aware of these issues though. He’s been through the patent process before. And, by which we have benefited greatly.

copyright to some extent exists the moment it is created)?
Copyright applies once the “work” is in fixed form. For most arts it’s the painting or statue, the book or published article, the tape or recording, it’s the point it stops changing. For photography it’s when the image has been captured on film or in the sensor and stored in the chip.

My daughter is a choreographer and we talked about it because I couldn’t see a way their work would be able to meet those sorts of conditions, but she told me that choreography has a written form of describing the dances. I thought “Cooool!”

My daughter is a choreographer and we talked about it because I couldn’t see a way their work would be able to meet those sorts of conditions, but she told me that choreography has a written form of describing the dances. I thought “Cooool!”

So, if
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture. -- Frank Zappa

How does that work for writing describing dances?

🤔

Version 19.00 firmware represents the first use of the Chase Nonlinear Feedback (CNFB) technique for the solution of nonlinear ODEs. The power amp algorithm has been completely rewritten using the CNFB method. This provides improved accuracy, especially in the clipping and power supply sag behavior vs. frequency.

I'm curious when/if the CNFB method is going to be applied to the preamp algorithm; I suspect there'd be similar wins by doing so...

Back
Top Bottom