The Cab block's AIR parameter

Radley

Experienced
The Cab's AIR parameter - did we ever get an exact description of what it is doing? It obviously is not a short ambient reverb like Line6 uses. It seems like I read somewhere that it's like a frequency-selective mix of some dry (non-cabbed) signal, but I would like to know for sure - if you know, pray tell! :ugeek:

Right. It's letting in some amount of signal unprocessed / unfiltered by the cab block. The frequency adjustment basically sets the hinge frequency of a high-pass filter to determine what range of frequencies get passed through.

Going from recollection here, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

It has the effect of making the cab response less extreme below the AIR frequency. So the notches would be less deep and the response genarally more bland, which is the way it sounds to me. I used this a bit before I got the Red Wire cabs, but those IRs and the ability to mix multiple IRs seem to suit my style better, so I rarely use AIR now.

Sometimes when a new parameter is introduced and Cliff gives some further information, I take notes ( :ugeek: ). I think this here is one of his quotes:

Air is nothing more than low-pass filtered direct signal mixed with the processed signal. Sometimes adding some Air can help remove the boxiness. I was unaware that the PDI-05 did the same thing but I'm not surprised someone else thought of this too. You typically need to set the Air Freq above 3 kHz before the effect is noticeable. I like it around 3500 or so. It adds a little sizzle to high-gain tones and removes that boxy sound.

VegaBaby said:
Sometimes when a new parameter is introduced and Cliff gives some further information, I take notes ( :ugeek: ). I think this here is one of his quotes:

Air is nothing more than low-pass filtered direct signal mixed with the processed signal. Sometimes adding some Air can help remove the boxiness. I was unaware that the PDI-05 did the same thing but I'm not surprised someone else thought of this too. You typically need to set the Air Freq above 3 kHz before the effect is noticeable. I like it around 3500 or so. It adds a little sizzle to high-gain tones and removes that boxy sound.
links to Cliff's notes (hardeeharhar) in the Wiki's firmware history page for firmware 7.17...
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... rsion_7.17

Back
Top Bottom