The Burger Thread

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Just curious. With the cost of ground beef increasing, do many of you still enjoy a good burger? How do you make it? How do you like it cooked? What do you add to it?

80% ground beef was on sale last week, so I purchased a package and divided it into 1 lb. weights and popped these in the freezer. Defrosted a lb. last night and will try to put together a ½ lb. on a brioche bun, with American cheese, mayo, ketchup and B&B pickles.

I really might prefer Swiss with a slice of tomato, but Swiss is more costly and tomatoes seldom last long in the fridge.

How do enjoy your burgers?

First would be to not freeze the meat. This drives moisture out of cells and dries out the meat faster while cooking. This is why many burger places like Five Guys tout the fact that their beef is never frozen.

I like mine "All The Way":

6a00d83451c75869e20191042c080a970c-800wi

Burger was 5.99 a lb. and an whole Rib Loin was $5.99, so I am going to be grinding my
own for a bit. I have some trimmed fat from off of a Brisket I cooked in the freezer and
will mix that to up the fat content. :)

More into the Smashburger on a hot skillet or griddle than a Fat burger at the moment.

First would be to not freeze the meat. This drives moisture out of cells and dries out the meat faster while cooking. This is why many burger places like Five Guys tout the fact that their beef is never frozen...
Man, we used to have Five Guys not too far from us...the onions, mushrooms I could wrap my head around...I think it'd be a 5 napkin guys thing with much else...

I've personally discovered that if one uses 80% lean ground beef, divides it into 1 lb quart Ziplocs, and freezes it for less than a week's time, the burgers retain their moisture. I've not recently compared longer freeze times, so I don't know how that might produce good results. I've got a couple extra frozen lbs in the freezer now, but that may be put into chili con carne soon.

YMMV with longer freeze times, but I do the same with ground pork and turkey in stuffing and for meatloaf with no ill effects.

Last edited:
Burger was 5.99 a lb. and an whole Rib Loin was $5.99, so I am going to be grinding my
own for a bit. I have some trimmed fat from off of a Brisket I cooked in the freezer and
will mix that to up the fat content. :)

More into the Smashburger on a hot skillet or griddle than a Fat burger at the moment.
Yup. Locally, it's mostly $4.99/lb. for 80%. Last week, 80% ground beef was on sale for $2.99/lb., 1 pkg per customer, so I couldn't pass that up. Most of my meals have consisted of pork and poultry (grinding pork shoulder or loin when it's $1.99/lb.) for meatloaf with ground turkey.

Burgers have become a treat more often than a regular meal because of the cost...but I'll pounce on sales when they occur...🤣

I have been cooking lean burgers and all I use is salt & pepper. I through two hand made frozen burgers in a skillet (I vacuum seal an freeze) put a little water in the bottom of the pan Steam them to 145 - 160 using a Digital thermometer like a (therma pen) depending on how done you want them.
A slice of cheese and dill pickles mustard an Ketchup slap the bun on top and oh baby lol. They are always juicy and not dried up. :)
Dang made myself hungry lol

Smash burger style is the truth. Smash it down, get that Maillard reaction going, get those caramelized burnt edges happening. Such flavor.

No doubt! I used to assume flame-grilling was the way, but you usually end up
charring the outside too much, and most of the fat ends up falling down onto the coals
and into the grill. In a Cast-Iron Skillet, or on a Flat-top, that meat cooks IN its own fat. YUM!

I like mine with either L, T, & Miracle Whip, w/ American cheese melted on the burger, lots of pepper (on the tomato), on a Martin potato bun, or with swiss cheese and really crisp bacon. Damn. Now I'm jonesing for one, but trying to eat the leftovers and not do any more grocery shopping until I get back from visiting family for Christmas.

Damn you @bleujazz3 for making us all hungrier than we already were. :)

Going to the store for some good buns right now.
Sorry, dude. It's close to dinner time locally, and I posted last night thinking a burger for next day's lunch would be good. Making you hungry was not my intention, although speaking about food has that effect...once I was speaking about preparing a huge meal for my friends while we riding in a car just prior to lunch...and once we got out, one guy said, "You know, that meal sounds wonderful, but all I really needed was some cheese and crackers..." I nearly bust a gut laughing so hard...I told the boss the same story, and he just laughed...

I recently bought a Kamado Joe grill and have tried burgers a couple of ways. I have a soapstone and some cast iron griddles to outfit the grill with. The best so far have been smashburgers on the soapstone. It is very convenient too. Grilled buns, thin slices onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and a good sauce with a mix of mayo, ketchup, and Sriracha. I have been using the VooDoo rub by Meat Church for seasoning. Very tasty, better than any burger joint around here.

Matt, Matt, Matt. I married a vegetarian (a long time ago now) who had a problem with the reality of what meat is, but while pregnant with our 2nd child her tune changed. She said the kid wanted meat. Haha. Someone did... But hey, eat whatever you like and think is good for you! Personally I love beef, but I don't eat it anymore because I don't digest it well.

I have a digestive problem ever since I had cancer in 79 & 80 I have to take stomach enzymes ever since i just have to eat in moderation.
I love a good burger 😀

I always hated hamburger, and while that's not the reason, I did become a vegetarian. The closer they get with impossible/beyond, the more I find these things disgusting.
Matt,
It's appreciated that some prefer to improve their lives by eating cleaner/healthier.

While I won't try changing your mind (hopefully this won't become a debate about omnivores & vegetarians) I appreciate your view. As I mentioned previously, eating a burger is becoming a treat instead of a regular thing these day with the cost of beef on the rise. The reason for my post was beef was on sale locally last week, and I thought to ask about how folks enjoyed their "treats."

If ordering from somewhere, it's medium rare, pepper jack cheese, and bacon. No need for anything else.

Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger (no mayo) is a nice add-on if I'm on the road. Likewise I'm guilty of enjoying White Castle sliders (especially on the way home from a late gig).

If making myself, I'll do salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and a bit of Worcestershire sauce in the ground beef prior to making patties. Then, medium rare, pepper jack, and bacon :)

There was a place by me called Zinburger (unfortunately closed) that used red wine in their beef, that always added a neat flavor as well.

Back
Top Bottom